American Paint Horses

Twerd

Jun 9, 2009
Dorset
Has anyone on her got an American paint Horse?
What disciplines do you do with them?
What is there overall temperament and trainability like?

Those that have mares, are they mareish?

I know every horse is different but just trying to get an overall fee of the breed.

I have been offered a purebred rising 2 yr old

I have a part bred and several friends have pure breds. Generally speaking they are quite biddable and easy to get along with, they tend to be pretty level headed too, but it does depend on the lines you pick.
My mare is not marish to ride, but is incredibly hormonal, always in season and the boss in the field, that's not really a breed characteristic though.

Are they not baisically quarter horses with a patterned coat?

My step dad has a quarter horse and she's one of the most chilled out horses I've met. Very much a jump on and go type. Very slow though. She always struggled to keep up with Whisks, even at a walk haha

Are they not baisically quarter horses with a patterned coat?

My step dad has a quarter horse and she's one of the most chilled out horses I've met. Very much a jump on and go type. Very slow though. She always struggled to keep up with Whisks, even at a walk haha
Don't let a paint enthusiast hear you say that :p
Mine is 25% paint, 25% tb 50% QH and she's anything but slow, more go than whoa is how my trainer described her :p most QH I've ridden have been responsive, not silly tanking forwards but no slugs either.

I have been offered a riding 2 yr old. She is home red by my friend and From what I understand has good bloodlines.

I've never had experience with Paint Horses but have heard they are laid back Horses that are easy to train.

Don't let a paint enthusiast hear you say that :p
Mine is 25% paint, 25% tb 50% QH and she's anything but slow, more go than whoa is how my trainer described her :p most QH I've ridden have been responsive, not silly tanking forwards but no slugs either.

Woops my bad haha :oops::oops::oops::D
@Twerd If you like this 2 year old, has a willing attitude to learn, quiet personality and you have all the resources you need I'd totally go for it.
As for what you could do with It I can't really help there.

You can do anything with them, they are very versitile, I guess it depends on if you're looking for something to ride now or wait another year or two on tho

I already have a 15mth old Dartmoor pony that came straight to me off of the moors so the fact that she is young doesn't bother me as I already have a youngster. I have a section D to ride in the meantime too.

The Paint Filly is by Classys Star Buck.

I want a general all rounder that in time I will be able to pass down to my son

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com