Any information on Hip replacement please

Millies Mum

Feb 16, 2008
Cornwall
Hi have just got back from the hospital, where they have said i need a hip replacement, but while the consultant was looking at my x rays, he said they were very strange, as the hip was wearing in to the side and back of the joint, rather than at the top,,,,
I was wondering who else here had the same, and whether it was to do with riding,, as when sitting and trotting, that is the place where it looks like it is wearing away,,,,,
also are you riding again, and how long please, and did you any special sort of hip,,,????
sorry for all the questions...
Thanks
MM

Hi there....

Hip Replacement veteran here....mega lol...

I dont know anything about why you have wear and tear at the back/side rather than at the top, but I wouldnt have thought it had any difference to the op.

I had a THR nearly 3years ago, and it's been wonderfull... Couldnt drive or ride for three months... different hospitals have different recovery times. I have a Titanium hip joint, and with a girdle stone (had nearly three inches of bone missing, the stone gives me two inches back) I can ride, I got rid of the walking stick i had for 14years after the accident, i have no pain AT ALL. I cannot describe how good it's been, well worth the pain of the op... Im about to have a knee replacement soon.

any more questions, feel free to ask

Thanks for that Jules...
will ask more questions of consultant, / doctor, ref type of hip, i already have titanium in my feet, i have arthritis every where, neck, back, hip and feet,
the consultant did not seem to be horsey at all, and seemed to wonder, why i wanted to ride any way, and much less after a hip op.,,,, so i had to explain, that not riding, is not an option...
glad you are in no pain now, as i am finding it very difficult to sleep at night, as the pain always seems worse then,,,,,look forward to no pain,,
MM
:):)

Millies Mum, I too told my original consultant that being grounded from riding was not an option.. he said to me 4 days post accident "do you realise you'll never sit on a horse again?" I was full of morphine at the time, and wondered if he really said that? lol... my second consultant was more understanding.. and it was he who told my current consultant that no riding wasnt an option!!

what painkillers are you on? I take ibroprufen in the day, and if i need too, Tramadol at night, as it makes me sleepy, really does help with sleep though.

Also whatever they throw at you regarding riding, just tell them you understand what they are talking about, but at the end of the day you know horses in a way that they never will (unless they have ridden themselves)

Haven't got first-hand experience, but one of our Badminton players has had both of his hips replaced (slightly young at late fifties ) but he was back playing badminton after both of his - after a good period of time I might add, but still, badminton can be quite fast and hard.

Thanks Doris gives me inspiration,,
BTW I am 53 so still quite young,,, well ish any way,,,,,

Jules I am on Co Codamol and Ibruprofen in the day and Tramadol at night,,,,
the reason for such a hard hit is probaly not the hips, but have two broken ( mended now ) vertabrae in my lower back,,, ( fall of nutty horse in to side walls of indoor school ) and i,m still riding, so not going to let a hip get in my way....

I fell off the other day while getting on LOL ha I have to stop half way up and kneel on the saddle and sort of slide my right leg over, well she moved and i toppled over, luckily grabbed hold tight round neck kicked foot out of stirrup and swivelled round and landed under her front legs,,,, she was very surprised i must say,,,,,

all good fun tho,,,,,

MM

MM - have you tried shortening the left stirrup in orfer to get a bit higher, so getting a higher clearence for mounting? I ride with my stirrups on hole 3, but mount with stirrup on hole 6, then move it down.. this gives the clearance i need to get on easily.

Also it might be worth considering getting either a memory foam mattress or bed topper.... have heard they do wonderful things for joint problems and sleep.. when I can afford it, I'll be getting one.

Thanks Jules
yes silly me i do this, as have my stirrups at different heights as when i have ridden for a while the joints sort of ease and drop, so when i come back they are longer, i just forgot this time to move them up a couple of holes with the silly result,,,, all my own fault, but the Mills was as good as gold bless her,,,
agree about the topper, we have a sort of foamy mattress, not memory foam but deffy squidgy, then a sort of topper quilted thing on top, i also put a pillow between my knees, as this keeps the legs straight, also i have a heat pad which i switch on at night, gets nice and toasty, just like a mini electric blanket,,,so keeps the joints nice and warm...
How are you doing now, is it 3 months for you, are you riding again yet,,,????
how does the hip feel, ?
sorry for all the questions, i am slightly nervous, just fed up with all the faffing about and hospitals, what with the feet, the back and now the hips,,,, grr
but it,s so nice to have my lovely Mills who really takes care of me when i am having a bad day,
MM

How are you doing now, is it 3 months for you, are you riding again yet,,,????
how does the hip feel, ?
MM

It's actually nearly three years :D

it's brilliant... surgeon did a good job.. I was back on me oldie at three months post op, and sadly four days later he had to have surgery himself.. (for colic - which he too recovered from)

please please dont do what i did after the op.. 5months after i broke the rest of the femur.. i was in such trouble with the surgeon!! (dog agility)

it's normal to feel nervous/anxious for this, it's a major operation.. do as much research on it as you can (google hip replacement, or THR) and read the leaflet they give you, it explains EVERYTHING, from being admitted to the proceedure, what nurses are assigned to you, to your going home, and after care. If you have any questions, ask them, dont be afraid to ask... and also, dont be afraid to ask your anaesthetist for a pre-med.. I didnt ask for one, nor did it occur to ask for one, and I didnt realise how nervous I was that i nearly passed out in the anaesthetic room, they hadnt even started!!

Hi Millies Mum,

I discussed riding with my consultant and have had fitted a large ball and socket to give me maximum flexibility for mounting and dismounting. My consultant isn't anti riding, but pointed out that natures hip is the best and the replacement is only second best so has to be looked after a bit more. I found the phisios are very non committal about riding, (even though one of mine was a rider ) I think it's a combination of not understanding the physical demands of riding in any detail and also being sued if they say yeah, it will all be fine.

It's week 12 since my op and I am walking out quite strongly without my stick now and feel fantastic, however I think I am another 12 weeks away from thinking about getting on my horse. I don't have any other arthritis or injuries, perhaps I am being over cautious, but I want to be 100% and at the moment I know that I'm not really strong enough for some movements to be completely spontaneous or without effort.

I had some helpful replys to my pre op posts which are on this forum, there might be some advice in those that will answer more questions.

It's a marvellous op though and you'll wake up and all that pain will be gone.

Good luck

Chase Rider x

newrider.com