Anyone Good With Coloured Horse Showing

cleohorse

Jun 11, 2014
Hi well I want to start maybe doing some in hand showing classes with my boy he is a coloured cob and he has very strange markings. I am not sure if he would do well in coloured classes because of his markings. Is there anyone that is good with showing coloured horses that could tell me if he would do well with his markings. thanks :)

Hi, I'm afraid I haven't a clue about showing of any kind, but wow, his face markings are very unusual and striking!

Thankyou they are weird he looks like a different horse depending on which way you are looking at him

Last edited:
Showing is so subjective, it all depends on the personal preference of the judge. Just get out there and have a go, it doesn't really matter if you get placed or not.

Showing is all about judges perspective. If you get a judge that likes there cobs evenly marked then that's what they will place high.

If they like there cobs unusual then that's what they place higher and you do well. How old is he? Are you planning on doing any ridden with him?

He looks quite fine, so would be better plaited and trimmed up! Do you jump with him? If he has a nice jump he might do well in working hunter classes? You can always show him in genetic classes such as best gelding / family horse / judges fave etc.

I was at a show yesterday where a badly behaved horse turned out incorrectly was placed higher then a nice little horse with correct confirmation who was quiet and obedient because the first one was the same type as what the judge shows herself.

One day you can clean up and the next day you can come bottom of the Lineup. Don't worry so much about "if he'd do well" and just have fun

Thankyou I don't really care if he does not win anything as its just a bit of fun. His marking are defiantly weird I think most people even really love them or hate them. He has only just turned 6 so he has never been to a show before he does jump he has previously jumped 90cm but I have not done much jumping with him just few logs but definitely in the future it would be nice to do some ridden shows as he has lovely paces and a beautiful trot as he picks his leg up like a stepping cob. He is not very chunky but he does still have some filling out to-do he is meant to be a cob x Irish draught but that is just guess work as no one really knows what he is. He is a lovely horse and has the nicest temperament going.

Attachments

• IMG_20150705_174446_zpsg5se4tr9.jpg
    IMG_20150705_174446_zpsg5se4tr9.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 11084444_842258709174216_1936062387_n_zpsp0juvgjz.jpg
    11084444_842258709174216_1936062387_n_zpsp0juvgjz.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Showing is all about judges perspective. If you get a judge that likes there cobs evenly marked then that's what they will place high.

If they like there cobs unusual then that's what they place higher and you do well. How old is he? Are you planning on doing any ridden with him?

He looks quite fine, so would be better plaited and trimmed up! Do you jump with him? If he has a nice jump he might do well in working hunter classes? You can always show him in genetic classes such as best gelding / family horse / judges fave etc.

I was at a show yesterday where a badly behaved horse turned out incorrectly was placed higher then a nice little horse with correct confirmation who was quiet and obedient because the first one was the same type as what the judge shows herself.

One day you can clean up and the next day you can come bottom of the Lineup. Don't worry so much about "if he'd do well" and just have fun

That is so true.

Its even worse if you see a class and first place--- judge says "don't forget Ann --Monday at 6 " then second place " see you Wed at 4pm Beth " and on down the line.

I much prefer fun Versatility or Gymkhana --- your faster /more precise- and don't knock the barrels/obstacles down. its a bit more cut and dry although I did
see some undue preference given to a person once at a Gymkhana at Ft Huachuca AZ.

The woman's boyfriend was up in he timing stand she flew around out of control and knocked 2 barrels over--- OH CONVENIENTLY THE TIMER WAS NOT WORKING.
you get to go again.
Fool me once shame on you Fool me twice SHAME ON ME!!
After it happened "conveniently" again with another horrible out of control run of "hers" They put someone else up there - and did not do it for any other gymkhanas after that.

The best part though was the "HHHHHHHMMMMMMM whats up with this" From HER husband!!!:confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Here's an example of splash white who's very loudly marked

When it's as loud as this and your gelding it does look really striking.

Have a go. You've got nothing to lose by trying. There were some classes we entered where you could pretty much predict the line up just by looking at the judge and the entries. There were some we would not bother entering.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Yes he does look quite striking especially the side were his face is white without the brown marking. I only want to do it for some fun I don't care if we don't win anything I was just wondering what people thought about his markings :)

newrider.com