Anyone know where i can ride near Southampton

:D Well done! I love the ache after a riding lesson, means you did some proper work!!

I honestly wouldn't have a clue RE the book, hopefully Joyscarer will pop along, she has like a horsey library :p

Oh well, that second lesson seems to have sealed your fate. No excape for you now :p

As for the book, I'm afraid dressage isn't my thing and this is one area my library is sadly lacking in :eek:

I would suggest that you start a new thread in the cafe or training section of the forum as I'm sure you'll then quickly get some responses :)

I have a book at home that I've found really helpful but I cant rememebr the name or author lol. I'll have a look later on..

Hi everyone

Well thanks for reminding me to post an update....

Everything is going good, still riding.

Unfortunately had a few wobblies but still only walk and trot. The hardest thing is getting my fitness back, i've piled on the pounds so working to get those off is hard.

The knee won't let me do a few things like ride without stirrups for very long and causes great pain.

The physio has given me a few special exercises and thinks riding will be a good thing just not bombing around like i used to.

My balance is rubbish and have to been doing quite a few standing up in the stirrups at walk to get it back... AGHHH that hurts like hell.

Sad thing is i don't think there would ever be a horse out there that would be quite enough for me to own......so have to stick with the riding school.

Oh and riding a new horse now, Lady 17.2 pure Shire and wonderful natured so quite LOL.. long way to fall off though:eek:

so there you have it, not much interesting happening my end, what about you lot??

Loulou:)

Hey, don't give up hope! You could always go for an ex-RS pony. For example I know LisW has a couple of bombproof heavyweight cobs that would be up to carrying you and are used for disabled riders, so are both very well mannered and quiet ;)

Have you thought about stirrups that reduce the concussion on your ankles and knees?

There are a few types. Air stirrups and stirrups which are made my metalab. Flexi stirrups with lots of links that are meant to be really good but are very expensive - Sprenger are the best known brand I guess. They're very well respected and lots of people recommend them but the price is a bit ouchy! Try ebay, perhaps? Hinged plate stirrups where the bottom is hinged. Or inexpensive flexi stirrups, where the hinge is at the side. You can get them from like Shires, John Whitaker etc.

Endurance stirrups could also be an option :)

http://www.performance-equestrian.com/cat/cat020500x-item_1.html

You sound a lot like me Loulou1972 (but younger, lucky thing ;):D) as I struggle with my weight (understatement!) and I have hypermobility, one leg shorter than the other and as a result a very dodgy knee.
I actually use the endurance stirrups in palmerlover52's link and they are a lot more comfortable as they have a broad tread for your foot and are slightly cushioned.

Another thought is to ride with stirrups fairly long as then your knee is kept at a milder angle.

If :))) I get the pony I have been looking for then I don't plan on doing rising trot at all - it is a killer for my knee.

I do wonder if standing in your stirrups as an exercise is good for your knee? Does it hurt you? What does your doc/physio say?

As regards the weight - well biggest issue for me is keeping it down so I can ride something smaller because getting off a big horse hurts and my knee would often collapse as I landed meaning I would fall over. This has left me a bit dismounting phobic :eek:

I try to do a lot of non weightbearing exercise like exercise bike and rowing machine at the gym, and at home I have an ijoyride machine (AKA Robopony:rolleyes:) which mimics the action of riding and helps you strengthen your core muscles.
I think you are really brave for giving it another go after an accident, takes real courage. Plus I would be far too scared to even contemplate 17.2hh :eek::cool:

I am not far from Southampton at all so if you ever fancy a horsey/weight/blimmin bad knee chat please pm me:)

newrider.com