are bananas poisonous

Hannah.Horsie

Jun 25, 2005
Bristol
just wondering because i dont want to go piosoning other peoples horses
the YM says the skins are poisonous
and one of the liverys gives her horse them whole??

I don't give Dolly the skins but she likes the flesh, however you really shouldn't be feeding other peoples' horses without their permission :)

Umm never tried....
And if I may say, it is proberly best to ask these people before even touching their horses, let alone feeding them bananas...

Our lot get the odd banana-na-nananana-na (one never really knows when to stop spelling banananana)
c033.gif

They don't get them every day, but the odd one whole won't hurt them.

I've heard conflicting things about bananas. I personally wouldn't give them to Falcon because....knowing the luck I'm having at the moment!!:eek:

Use organic banana's only though as non-organic ones have nasty pesticides in them that are not good for the horse! Im sure i read somewhere that arab horses were fed bananas and dried dates by their owners as there is no grass in the desert :) Most horses love them skins and all:D

Ramaria loves the skin and the flesh, she has one every day without fail and shes in her late twenties now so it cant have done her any harm. :)

show jumper and cupcake
thanks for your contributions but there not what i asked for and i have there permission im not stupid
think before you type or dont
:)

I'm glad you have the owners permission and I did think before posting. Lots of people feed other peoples' horses without permission and if my post made even one person think twice about doing it, then I'm happy.

Bananas are a brilliant healthy energy boost and many horses love them - they also contain vitramin E and have been used as a useful blood tonic for years and years.

:)

xx

I would never feed my horses banana peels. If you grow your own bananas then go ahead. The peel itself is not poisonous. What's poisonous though is the massive amounts of pesticides that are on them. Since humans don't eat the peels the regulations in regards to what growers/importers can have on their bananas are not as stringent as for example apples, etc. (because humans do eat apples with peels). Bananas are generally imported from places where bananas grow well (! ;) ) which also happen to be places where lots of nasty insects grow well, hence the pesticide.

So unless you grow your own, be a dear and peel them. :D

Last edited:
newrider.com