Arrrggghhh - Slipping saddle

Jan 10, 2003
Isle of Man
I have noticed that in the last few weeks Penny's saddle has started to slip quite a bit. It is slipping sideways, and doesn't help when I trot or canter as I will then be uneven in my stirrups and make the slip even worse with uneven weight!

So as well as working on myself, and getting the saddle checked, has anyone else any ideas to help this?

The saddle 'appears' to be a good fit, and she is a WIDE girl, and has toned up recently...could that be making it slip?

Is there any pads that I could use underneath a numnah to help stop it slipping?

Your help is appreciated....and ideas welcome! (As always!):D

I had a problem with a slipping saddle a while ago and invested in something called a Barnsby Grip Pad which is excellent and I still use it regularly even tho my saddle doesnt slip anymore because it looks nice and its non sweating and also shock absorbing. I think Yann got one recently too. The Grip Pad is completely rubberised on the underside, looks like a normal saddle cloth on the outside and also has a neoprene pad under the saddle flaps. I'll see if I can find a picture and post it for you. It really works although if it gets dirty it doesnt but you just wipe it over with a baby wipe and its OK again. Its important to get something that has non slip on both sides I think otherwise the saddle will just slip against the cloth or the cloth will slip against the horse.

Last edited:
Fab bit of gear, if a little on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for. Unlike pimple grip numnahs it isn't thick so doesn't compromise the saddle fit. I got mine to help with a front to back rather than side to side issues and it works a treat, ideal for jumping and looning about:)

yes they do and its cheaper altho not much cheaper if i recall. I used mine for a front to back slip too and its worth pointing out that mine was slipping because his back was out. Had I have been able to get a saddler out quicker to tell me this I wouldnt have needed to buy the pad. That said it really is great quality and looks lovely so it wasnt a waste.

Have you tried a breastplate? I'm not sure how much it'd do for slipping side to side, but it deffinately keeps the saddle forward.

Attachments

• breastplatedemo.jpg
    breastplatedemo.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 103
Oohh, one to remember though!

Going to get the saddle checked first and then move on from there.

dophi- Yeah, I already use a breastplate and it helps when hacking - as I do alot of hill work and so it helps the saddle slipping back and front. The breastplate doesn't help the sideways slip, so the non slip numnah may be an idea to try too!

Just another thought...I use an airoform thorowgood girth with the elastic at the end...could this be adding to the problem???

If so, what girths would be better? I do like the padding on the thorowgood, so something similar I hope!

Might be... the Wintec chafeless is very similar but has the elastic in the middle or all the way through.

MP I've got a couple of 50" humane girth you can have one if you want it I no longer use them having moved onto..thorowgood elastic!!

Oh, but I DO like my thorowgood!

Ditz - Thanks for the offer, unfortunately the 50" would be WAY to small, Penny is a 58" girth, and that is toned Penny!!!!!:eek: That is why I have liked the thorowgood, I think I may have to look at the wintecs too!

Have you tried an impackt pad? My mom has a heavyweight cob and his saddle sometimes slips, when mounting and riding. we now use an inpackt pad under it, this helps stick the saddle to the horse.

Many of the old hands swear by chamois leather.. I'm not sure what you actually do with it, but it may be a cheaper way of acheiving the same effect of the grip pad/impakt pad (although I do think those barnsby ones look nice - I saw one in a shop the other day, one worry is overheating, but Yann says it doesn't so yep!)

Rachel xx

I tried the chammy thing under our treeless saddle when we were having problems with it, but wasn't wholly convinced it was helping that much. I was also worried about it moving and wrinkling and causing problems to be honest.

You don't get anything like the overheating problems with the grip pad that you do with an impackt or limpet, though it is a little warmer than a plain cotton numnah would be. There's a kind of grippy mesh on the underside which helps with the ventilation, the only areas which tend to sweat a little more are those under the neoprene panels, but it's nothing drastic unless you go for a real blast - Rio is a sweaty pony anyway:)

my friend had a big cobby mare whos saddle always slipped to the side. In the ned they just used a standard XC over-grith and it worked a treat. Not too expensive either

most saddles slip because they dont fit so i would get that checked first as riding in a badly fitting saddle can cause major problems (talking from experiance!) i had a saddle fhand made for stan 4 yearrs ago and last year it started slipping because he lost weight. i had a new one made for him and it fits perfectly, if you do get a new saddle try to get point straps on it as that helps with rather round ponies/horses!

newrider.com