Bad back

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Seriously at my age of 25 I should not have a bad back, but here I am!
I have a fork for the straw but it's quite short the handle well normally length but I am tall so that isn't helping. Filling Haynets at the moment is agony it's my lower back. Even bending down to pick up one of their buckets hurts :(

Oooh poor you! I don't think age comes into it, I developed a bad back at times from an early age and I think it depends on how you lift and what you lift. My OH lifted appliances that were VERY heavy for years but knew how to lift correctly so did minimal damage. I on the other hand at 34 used to be in agony on our forst yard due to lifting wet fork fulls of straw and piling way too much on!
Can you sit down to fill nets? Bending over won't help and make sure you take your time mucking out, trying to do it fast can tweak things and put a strain on you. Also, listen to your body, if it's hurting then don't over do it!

There's a lot you can do to help yourself.

Get a long handled fork, and don't take big forkfuls especially of wet bedding. Look at your technique - try to avoid twisting your back too much & make sure sideways movement is more from the hips & legs. Use your tummy muscles to support your back. And I may sound like a granny but keep your back covered and warm while you work!

Do they have to have nets? If they do then give several small nets rather than one big one, lift them properly (no swinging over your shoulder - never, ever, ever!) & use a barrow to move them from the hay barn to the boxes even if it's only a short distance. I find small bale hay is far easier for filling nets so maybe that's something to look into.

Water buckets are better half filled & carried one in each hand so you're balanced. If you have large trugs for water in the stable then don't overfill them because you'll just have to carry it out the next day & put the empty trug in the stable & take water to it with normal buckets.

Avoid bending to lift stuff, instead crouch down & when you pick things up keep them close to your body again using your tummy muscles to support your back.

Look up how to lift properly & always do it, even for things that don't seem heavy. Even when you aren't at the yard keep an eye on your posture. Depending on what you've done gentle swimming or walking can help keep it mobile & strengthen it up, and if it's a long term problem maybe consider some yoga or pilates classes.

There's a lot you can do to help yourself.

Get a long handled fork, and don't take big forkfuls especially of wet bedding. Look at your technique - try to avoid twisting your back too much & make sure sideways movement is more from the hips & legs. Use your tummy muscles to support your back. And I may sound like a granny but keep your back covered and warm while you work!

Do they have to have nets? If they do then give several small nets rather than one big one, lift them properly (no swinging over your shoulder - never, ever, ever!) & use a barrow to move them from the hay barn to the boxes even if it's only a short distance. I find small bale hay is far easier for filling nets so maybe that's something to look into.

Water buckets are better half filled & carried one in each hand so you're balanced. If you have large trugs for water in the stable then don't overfill them because you'll just have to carry it out the next day & put the empty trug in the stable & take water to it with normal buckets.

Avoid bending to lift stuff, instead crouch down & when you pick things up keep them close to your body again using your tummy muscles to support your back.

Look up how to lift properly & always do it, even for things that don't seem heavy. Even when you aren't at the yard keep an eye on your posture. Depending on what you've done gentle sppwimming or walking can help keep it mobile & strengthen it up, and if it's a long term problem maybe consider some yoga or pilates classes.
Yeah... alot of the things you have said not to do. I am doing! Or have done!
Long fork would help I will try doing that :) well all of them

Everything @carthorse said and a good osteo to get you back on your feet and physio and core strength exercises to keep you there, I've had a bad back since a (non-riding) accident when I was 9, plus multiple riding falls and breaking it bull riding in 2009 and doing all that works well for me.

Everything Carthorse said. You can wreck your back when still young. I did mine lifting a bag of sand to make a sand box for my kids - on the balcony of our flat. 45 years ago.
Strictly speaking you really need to rest your back and stop all heavy lifting for a time. To heal it a bit. But bending and lifting anything heavy will never be good.

The one thing Carthorse says which needs care is the swimming - I was told not to swim breast stroke because the leg movement can do further damage to your spine.

I suffer from a bad back. Mine was done at a young age lifting heavy milk churns. Mine gets worse at this time of year as I lift hay bales for the horses, cows and sheep. Also carrying the buckets of sheep food. It's more of a manual labour time of year. It's also made worse when having to balance in fields of mud on the banks. I'm so frightened of falling over as this makes it worse I find myself walking small steps which means I hold myself wrong. Its a vicious circle.
Im still in agony from my crushing nearly three weeks ago. I shouldn't be working or doing the animals but I have no one to do it for me. I stupidly yesterday threw some hay over the fence for the cows to avoid carrying it. Then promptly regretted it as the pain shot up my arm and chest. I hate that intense shock you get.

Oh poor girl. Ditto everything @carthorse and @Jessey said above.
One other little tip, if you sleep on your side put a spare pillow between your knees, helps to stabilise your sacroilliac/lower spine and if you sleep on your back put one under your knees as that will help take the pressure off your lower spine.

All of those things suggested above will help. A good yoga/pilates class to learn how to stretch and bend properly is good. That and plenty of riding both strengthen your core, which will help support any back issues. Sitting correctly, no slouching in the car or office is crucial. My back issues are degenerative, but going back to riding has really helped me. Picking hooves up is difficult though...

Oh poor girl. Ditto everything @carthorse and @Jessey said above.
One other little tip, if you sleep on your side put a spare pillow between your knees, helps to stabilise your sacroilliac/lower spine and if you sleep on your back put one under your knees as that will help take the pressure off your lower spine.

I second this, I have arthritis and my hip is twisted and this is a life saver!

Sometimes I jar it on the ground as you've done today Lauren, heat and rest are your best friends (easier said than done I know!).

newrider.com