Barefoot Ale

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Ale had his trim today. I'm so pleased with his feet recently. I assume it's the dry weather meaning the grass is more restricted and that his feet are hard. We have a really gravelly part of the yard and today I led him over it and he didn't even flinch. The trimmer said he was walking really confidently and he looked so comfortable.

He's always been a bit sore on this sort of ground I'm just trying to work out what has changed. He's alot more active in trot since I took his coat off, I wonder if this combined with the hard ground has helped. I have also been bringing him onto the tarmac yard weekly, this is as far as I've got on doing any walks with him as his mite treatment has taken up my spare time.

Anyway just generally musing but very happy. He has some surface cracks as feet are very dry, I've ordered red horse hydro hoof for this but she said these are just cosmetic IMG_20220509_142405.jpg

Reactions: Jessey
Rather than using hoof dressings @Ale if you can stand the feet in water - a puddle, under the hose or whatever - you'll be able to rehydrate them free of charge.

It's great he's able to walk freely over gravel now :)

Reactions: MrA
Don't worry, totally aware of event lines we always keep an eye on them. Main thing is cold feet with no pulses and happy on hard and gravelly surfaces šŸ˜ thanks for the advice about soaking his feet, trimmer suggested that too the hydro stuff is more to help with the surface cracks

newrider.com