Barefoot Performance Horses

KateWooten

Sep 28, 2005
TN
I'm beginning to run into grip issues with my barefoot horses. For example, out hunting, in wet conditions on grass this weekend, I didn't feel totally comfortable with the terrain (and I was on a fairly green and volatile little horse, which didn't help), so I took her off away from the field for a calm down. Well, talking to one of the whips after, he said it wasn't suprising I was running out of grip... he has his horses shod and uses 'borium' ??? ( I don't know if that's a nail type, or a shoe material ?) Anyway, being barefoot, I don't have that option.

Similarly with XC - if it's slick, everyone else will be putting in studs .. and again, I don't have that option.

So ... hmmm... what is everyone doing about grip and barefootedness ? I do feel that for the most part, if I pick the terrain, then I'm much better off barefoot - certainly over road and dry grass, I feel I'm giving the ponies their best chance to stay upright by not nailing shoes on. It's just when we're really pushing at the limits - and where the choice of terrain is 'out of my hands'.

I have never had a problem with grip with my barefoot horses, they are a lot more sturdy in muddy conditions than shod horses, I can often be found going flat out up/down a muddy slope with bends and under trees without problems.

I have a pair of hoof boots, marquis boots, which can have studs in to help with grip, they might be worth a look if you are worried:)

http://www.equestrianselect.co.uk/components.htm

I will probably end up having to shoe P one day so I can put studs in. She does better than many shod horses on slippy ground, but having a whacking great stud sticking out of a shoe makes a huge difference. I pick the best ground and take it steady when the ground is slippy but this means we will never really be competitive xc. I'm happy to compromise for the time being because she's a youngster & I think being barefoot is very good for her wellbeing, but one day I'm going to want to go for it so the farrier may well be called in!

I can't see myself ever shoeing her for hunting though - the bloodhound lot we go out with do a fair bit of fast roadwork, and that is a major no-no for studs. Might not be like that where you are though.

I would also be very dubious about studs in hoof boots. The sort of torque you can get when using conventional studs can occasionally be enough to pull a off a nailed-on shoe, I just can't see a hoof boot staying put under that sort of hammer.

I too have never had a grip prob with are feet. If I were always riding in mud I may choose to leave the walls & bars a little longer for added grip. I believe Easycare have also recently brought out a boot designed specifically for extra grip in mud & ice too.

I would also be very dubious about studs in hoof boots. The sort of torque you can get when using conventional studs can occasionally be enough to pull a off a nailed-on shoe, I just can't see a hoof boot staying put under that sort of hammer.

I'm not sure 'torque' of the studs would be the problem there. I don't think this would be a prob with most boots on the market these days anyway. They've come a long way in the last few years & old style hoof boots may have this prob.

I'm not sure 'torque' of the studs would be the problem there. I don't think this would be a prob with most boots on the market these days anyway. They've come a long way in the last few years & old style hoof boots may have this prob.

Not sure I'd agree. If modern hoof boots were that good we'd all be barefoot but I have yet to find hoof boots for my mare that come up big enough for her & suit her hoof shape well enough not to twist. ALL of the people I know who have used/do use hoof boots at some point have struggled with them twisting/falling off/rubbing/disintegrating, that applies equally from the most humble Easiboots to the poshest Renegades.

My old horse's Boas were generally quite secure but wouldn't stay put jumping without studs, and adding studs IMO is asking for trouble. Studs would definitely increase the torque - they would be trying to keep the boot where it is, while the motion of the horse's foot and horse's weight would be trying to move it. This would create a twisting & pulling torque that I can't see a hoof boot withstanding. Even if it didn't come off or fall to bits, the boot would tend to twist on the foot, which obviously isn't good. Add to that the design of studs - all those I've seen have comprised a flat topped bolt that you stick through the sole of the boot, then you apply a nut to the underside. What happens if the nut loosens? The stud gets pushed into the underside of the horse's foot :eek: Not worth the risk! I had some studs for my Boas & gave them away, I wasn't happy at all with the concept.

I'd love to hear somebody try eventing in hoof boots with studs but I've never heard of anyone attempting such a thing, until I do I'll be very very dubious about it :rolleyes:

As someone who's gone from fairly long term barefoot back to shoes, I have to say that the grip that shoes give on muddy going is a million times beyond that which my mare had barefoot or even with boots on. She's very surefooted and was pretty good barefoot over most terrain as she had the sense to steady herself and balance over slippy/wetter going and would then pick up again when the ground got better, but in shoes she's just a different animal. Hacking routes that I'd avoided for years in bad weather because she slipped all over the place are now a doddle to negotiate. I never in a million years thought I'd be glad to have a shod horse, but I am. I'll worry about concussion, etc when the ground goes hard though but will cross that bridge when I come to it, aluminium shoes might be an option for then.

Borium is a type of metal, from what I gather it provides more grip than steel and is harder wearing too. Tends to be used in US states where they get a lot of snow and ice.

ummm.... I was kinda thinking that might be the case Bebe, and Iron :(

I did see the easyboot grip boots in a catalogue recently, I'll have a look into those. And the marquis boots, I know they can have studs in, but I only have one of those (very expensive) boots left since the other just pulled off without warning in very minor slop last year.

I'm in easyboot epics at the moment, on the front only.

I'll go look at that link - see what he says ... Thanks guys.

Yeah - what's happening is, I'm ok for eventing over the Spring and fall - but that's because I'm just literally starting out, and I've been lucky with the weather over the two events I've done. I'm doing them completely barefoot, but just starting to worry about losing grip there, for example, if I go and complete the dressage and SJ, which are rarely a problem, since they're oftenin an arena - but then what if the XC course is big and wet and slippery ? Honestly, I'll be so scared !!

The most pressing problem though is hunting with Rosie. I've been struggling to find a 'career' for her, and this looks like it might be the thing. She's really good. Very fast, very calm .... but it's such unpredictable terrain, honestly, you can be going down a forest and from nowhere, it's suddenly all rock. Aarrghh - for her feet ! So that's why I've been putting the boots on.

Do you think the boots alone (standard easyboot epics) will actually be reducing her grip - I mean, as opposed to pure barefoot in those conditions ?

So, in boots on the front feet only, the areas I feel we have a problem with at the moment, are wet grass, and the slick clay-y mud we get up and down the hills.

Obviously given the terrain, studs wouldn't be an option for me in any case for hunting - I'm just thinking out loud for them for next years' XC.

How long has rosie been barefoot?

I have problems with Shay sometimes with very stoney surfaces and trotting for long periods of time on hard surfaces, I think its just because he spends the majority of his time on grass in a field with just a little bit of hardcore, when I finally get my own place he will be doing a lot more on hard surfaces that will naturally toughen his feet up. Its not that he is lame or bruised on hard/stoney surfaces, just that he is more careful, back on grass and he is fine, if I made him walk all day every day on hard/stoney surfaces I doubt he would have a problem with them.

I have seen this stuff (technical term there!) on the net somewhere that you apply to the bottom of the foot, just around the edge of the wall where a shoe might fit and it hardens and acts a bit like a shoe, but obviously doesn't last as long.
There is also the perfect hoof wear stuff that might be good for protecting the feet?

I would have thought the boots might be affecting the grip, they are more likely to float above the mud than sink in like the hoof.

Yann has a lot of experience with most of the easyboot varieties and I don't think Epics rated all that highly in the grip stakes. I think the yard majority vote went to Old Mac G2s for grip when the ground gets really bad, but even so I still had some very sticky moments in them. Never really tested the Marquis I had as they never stayed on for longer than 2 minutes.

I think whether you have more grip barefoot vs booted depends on the horse. Generally I find that the bigger and flatter the foot (thinking big cob type dinner plate hooves), the less grip there is. Leaving a bit of bar can help a little, but I mean a little, as it gives a bit of purchase at the back of the foot.

On just wet grass, I'd give barefoot (no boots) a try. I don't think there's much in it on sticky clay-y mud though, that's what we've got and either way you generally end up sliding around more than you'd like.

My last horse did everything barefoot - (boots werent around then!)
Only once did I retire from a dressage test - the ground was brick hard and the short grass was slippery but others' who had put studs in retired too so didnt feel bad.
Interestingly, I did put shoes back on (he was 11) I had to regularly use studs for jumping thereafter.
I think that horses' balance themselves differently, not only when there is a rider on board but also when shoes are put on.

Not sure I'd agree. If modern hoof boots were that good we'd all be barefoot but I have yet to find hoof boots for my mare that come up big enough for her & suit her hoof shape well enough not to twist. ALL of the people I know who have used/do use hoof boots at some point have struggled with them twisting/falling off/rubbing/disintegrating, that applies equally from the most humble Easiboots to the poshest Renegades.

My old horse's Boas were generally quite secure but wouldn't stay put jumping without studs, and adding studs IMO is asking for trouble. Studs would definitely increase the torque - they would be trying to keep the boot where it is, while the motion of the horse's foot and horse's weight would be trying to move it. This would create a twisting & pulling torque that I can't see a hoof boot withstanding. Even if it didn't come off or fall to bits, the boot would tend to twist on the foot, which obviously isn't good. Add to that the design of studs - all those I've seen have comprised a flat topped bolt that you stick through the sole of the boot, then you apply a nut to the underside. What happens if the nut loosens? The stud gets pushed into the underside of the horse's foot :eek: Not worth the risk! I had some studs for my Boas & gave them away, I wasn't happy at all with the concept.

I'd love to hear somebody try eventing in hoof boots with studs but I've never heard of anyone attempting such a thing, until I do I'll be very very dubious about it :rolleyes:

You have probably tried them, but thought it is worth a mention. My friend has tried and tested every hoof boot going on a big heavy cob and finds the new shaped old macs the best (she thinks the old shape were useless).

My mare has never been shod and I found the one time definitely NOT to use hoof boots was deep or slippy mud. She was way way more secure without them in that ground. So personally I would leave them at home if I were hunting. I share the doubts about 'studs' in hoof boots, I have some for my Boa boots but wont ever use them.

Ive only had to use boots this year on very hard ground, the only time it gives an advantage for us.

We are starting endurance in the spring and I think I will risk going barefoot, taking the boots with me if I change my mind halfway.

I have never ever had an issue with the Boa boots we use, though Ive never tried jumping in them, only jumped barefoot.

You have probably tried them, but thought it is worth a mention. My friend has tried and tested every hoof boot going on a big heavy cob and finds the new shaped old macs the best (she thinks the old shape were useless).

Thanks! :) We've got some, they are fine in front but unfortunately they twist on the back :( I have heard of people hunting in them though so they must be very secure if they suit your horse & the grip does seem to be very good ;)

I have taken P out on hound exercise barefoot, the most recent one was 2 & a half hours of galloping on some very soggy ground interspersed with lots of fast trotting on roads & walking along some very very rocky tracks. She was fine, didn't miss a beat on the rocky stuff and had no traction problems galloping BUT she took a lot of height off her feet on the roads. I don't think she could do that week in, week out all winter without shoes - her feet grow quite slowly at this time of year and I think they would struggle to keep up with the wear.

Thinking about it, P & I have done an awful lot barefoot this year! We've hunter trialled, ODE'd, show jumped, showed, sponsored ride-ed & dressaged. However nothing that we've done has been at affiliated level, and I think this is where we would struggle. My experience with Flynn is that you really can't hang around on the xc phase even at Intro level and the jumps can be really quite solid and imposing, so you really need good traction if you're going to get round quick enough to be at all competitive :rolleyes:

So Kate - in response to your original question - you'll probably be fine up to a point, but eventually you may feel that barefoot is too much of a compromise. I think that's where I'll be at next year.

I agree that while modern hoof boots are great in most instances, they aren't the answer for everything & every horse. And while I believe nail on metal horseshoes can severely compromise hoof function, I think that if they're well applied, on regularly well trimmed feet, and not used long term or on unsound(unfortunately this means most) horses, that associated problems can be minimised. If you really can't see a better alternative, why not shoe your horse for winter & remove the shoes when the ground dries out?

How about Hoof Cast Cuffs ?

I'm seeing these used quite a bit in racing thoroughbreds for all sorts of repairs and situations. Essentially a glue on tape sets hard and creates a 4mm thick secondary "prosthetic" hoof wall. Believe me once it has set it is every bit as tough as hoof wall. This can then be nailed into using a slightly larger size shoe because of the extra thickness, completely missing the normal hoof wall, and this prosthetic wall acts as a very strong anchor for shoes. You take it off after about six weeks and trim the foot as normal and either re-apply if the weather conditions require it or go back to barefoot with absoluteley no sign that the horse has ever been shod.

If you want to avoid nails and metal shoes at any price you can also create a "plastic shoe" on the cuff using a two component polyurethane cement. This apparently sticks to the cast material much more effectively than any glues stick to natural horn. This can be used as a shoe or if built thickly enough can actually hold studs, again not compromising the normal hoof underneath. It also has the benefit that if it wears or breaks up you can just clean whats left with a wire brush and isopropanol and put some more cement on to remake the "shoe".

I've seen this being used for repairing quarter cracks and other major hoof defects as well as on generally poor feet than won't readily hold a shoe. I've seen horses that the course vet wasn't going to allow to run because they are lame then go out and win an hour later once the farrier had used this system,

There's a downloadable video showing this being used on a racehorse with damaged feet on http://www.equitech.uk.com/acatalog/Hoofcast1.flv. Be patient , it's a big file.

Last edited:
Is this what they used on Big Brown? Sounds very interesting. The trouble is finding someone who could do it, conventional farriers who are reliable & do a good job are like rocking hoss poo round my way :rolleyes: I'd love to give it a try though! I was looking at P's feet tonight and thinking how lovely they are, if I have her shod I'll probably cry :eek:

newrider.com