Bates GP saddle

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
Anyone had any experience with a bates GP saddle, I'm looking at one as it's adjustable and will hopefully fit a youngster as it's broke and fills out. What are they like? Are they a true all round versatile GP? x

I used to have one, had the cair changed to flock as hated the cair system. It worked really well on my welsh d mare who was curvy in the back, not on anything with a straighter back, they have the same trees as wintec, or always did, and they are known as banana trees.
It was comfy but if you had any high jinx the very high cantle could be a pain in the rear end, literally. I remember using it on one of the point to pointers who was renowned for broncing, the damn saddle kept hitting me in the back and bum amd unseating me. Not ideal at all imo on anything that likes to throw its back end in the air. Nice supportive deep seat though that you could ride in for hours and the flap shape suited me for jumping but again the high cantle could get in the way and whack you in the behind!

Reactions: tikkitti
Another vote for the K&M - have had many very expensive makes over the years including a Bates and have to say my K&M is just so comfortable and fits the Doll so well too. And a very reasonable price in my opinion. Had a Bates Cair one donated to sell - in lovely condition etc. but very hard to shift, people either hated Bates saddles full stop or hated the Cair ones.

As already said they have similar trees to wintec with curved trees. Think the Kent and masters are better made, and personally would prefer one to a Bates. Are the Kent and masters flatter trees though?

Saddlers don't tend to like Bates and won't part ex them as they apparently don't sell well, just what I've heard from 2/3 saddlers. Does mean you can pick one quite cheap though. As with any saddle it's the one that fits the horse the best. My friend has one and likes hers.

Last edited:
newrider.com