BHS Rule Updates - Bitless Bridle

ameliet1971

Can anyone explain why the BHS have updated their rules to allow the Micklem Multi Bridle to be used in dressage competitions, while any other type of bitless bridles ie: Dr Cook, sidepull or scawbrig are still not permitted?

From link:

Rule Updates
Appendix 5 – The following are not permitted for dressage or cross country; hackamores and other bitless bridles. The following are permitted
for dressage, side saddles and dark coloured
gloves. Light coloured gloves must be worn for
Riding Tests. The Micklem Multi Bridle is
permitted for dressage, show jumping and cross
country.

http://www.bhs.org.uk/_Attachments/Resources/3135_S4.pdf

This seems rather unjust in my opinion. :(

My first thought was poll pressure, or lack of it, but that wouldn't explain the scawbrigg, and it does appear that there is a setting on the Micklem that gives poll pressure anyway. Very odd.

Are they possibly allowing it as an actual bitted bridle rather than bitless? I did hear recently that new riding club rules have been introduced that allow English Hackamores for dressage but I dont know how true that is???

there are places you can go if you are bitless.

Summer Show Saturday August 22nd at Bitless Bridle Equestrian Centre, Talsarn, Lampeter
See the amazing Saddle Chariot in action...
Horse Simulator for everyone to try (balance & seat tuition available)
Refreshment van open all day

Classes open to barefoot & bitless horses only & include

Clear Round Jumping
Handy Pony
Fancy Dress (children's & adults' classes)
Best Turned Out
In-Hand classes

Can anyone explain why the BHS have updated their rules to allow the Micklem Multi Bridle to be used in dressage competitions, while any other type of bitless bridles ie: Dr Cook, sidepull or scawbrig are still not permitted?

This seems rather unjust in my opinion. :(

I imagine it is because it is still a bridle and has a bit. It is just a multi bridle, so you would still have the correct bit in the horse's mouth.

It is the lack of bit that is the issue. This is why i am no longer with my riding club as they will not allow me to do anythin without a bit. The pony will be going into a bit as and when his education warrants the transition. Then i will be able to ride both bitted, bitless and bridless.

My riding club (affiliated) are perfectly happy for me to be bitless - apart from dressage. And as I said, I believe the riding club rules are changing to allow dressage in a hackamore.

You are allowed to BSJA bitless although I think that only applies to horses, not ponies.

My riding club (affiliated) are perfectly happy for me to be bitless - apart from dressage.

Ditto - but it would be nice to have the option to dressage without a bit too (we do it with a bit but it's trickier...not that that's a bad thing, as it makes us work :)

Any more info as this is an old thread just wondering.

I know as i ride in the rope halter i have problems, but if was in a leather bitless bridle i wouldn't for riding club things. I've just yet to find a leather bitless bridle that allows me to have reins under the chin, i don't want a sidepull or cross under.

Anyone used the bridle in question above?

Or the rules for insurance for the roads????

Petplan just said I should follow BHS guidelines but cant find them and it doesnt say in highway code???

I'm insured with the bhs, the riding and road safety manual says you must always ride with reflectives (highway code) always ride with bridle and saddle (highway code)

I did speak to them about my riding halter, and it's just because it's made of rope that makes it a riding halter, if it was called a bitless bridle you'd be fine. However they permit me to hack in it as Jack is trained in it's use and i have regular lessons and could argue my point that i do have the same control. He wears a bright yellow bridle out on the roads but he would not understand the pressure from the bit.

So theoretically, i could have littles in a bridle, with a headcollar over top but lead from headollar? Or am i missing the point?

Nice to know i could ride bitless if i wished. Can you use web bitless or web bridles in general?

It's the name that's the issue, if it's sold as bitless bridle your fine, anything called haedcollar or halter you have to prove you and animal is schooled this way.

I'm actually in process of looking into a bitless bridle, it's for the transition from halter to bitless bridle. I want a bitless that offerer the feel of the halter. Up till now not found what i wanted.:)

but do you have to use the bridle?

I have a bit and bridle for littles, but would rather not drag him about by his mouth unneccasrily. There are bound to be tugs here and there unintentionally, i dont want them going in his mouth! He leads nicely and we would have practiced in field first to ensure all is ok... Wondered if i could get round it by him wearing a bridle, but leading from headcollar :eek:

Me and madam just have found right combination yet. She has little respect for bitless, i want to retrain her to halter but it will take a while to do that, then we can work bitless.

I contacted my insurer to get their take on my Dr Cooks and they just came back with "as long as you can control the horse", which I didn't find that helpful, as insurers are notorious for refusing claims, and you don't really want to find out after the event that you weren't covered, do you?

My idea for hacking is to add a headstall and cheekpiece to the bridle, and attach a mild snaffle and reins to it, then you can either leave the bit reins knotted on the horse's neck or hold both sets in the double bridle style. That way if anything happened on the road the horse is wearing a bit even if you're not actually using it. Did that make sense?!

It's a multi bridle so you have a choice what you do with it.

The bitless i'm currently making enquiries on can be used two different ways, still bitless. I'm insured in a bitless bridle, the highway code says bridle, it does not say a bitted one, just the word bridle.

I think i'd find it hard to have a bitless bridle on correctly with a bitted bridle over it. I can manage at the moment as i have a halter with endurance bridle, so the halter clips onto the bridle, almost another two in one. I can leave a string on the bit so in theory something is on it, but i find this annoying and clutters up the neck.

A rope hackamore or bitless bridle so far as i could see was ok insurance wise but a halter is not, (so I just made it into a hackamore! that was accepted!)

newrider.com