Bits bits bits...

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
right first let me say my cob is senstive to everythung, everything rubs him! Rugs, head collars, summer rugs... All cause sore patches!

as does his bit! So hes been in his happy mouth like forever! (The one in the pic) hes good in it, can do everything i want with him in that bit, but it rubs the corners of his mouth, even with rubber rings and then hes got sweet iron with a penut lozenge because we thought maybe because the happy mouth comes out totally dry the sweet iron with the copper bit might make him get a bit more moisture in the mouth and stop the rubbing, also used tried with and without rubber rings and ive tried it again today and its actually rubbed the skin flakey (cream applied)

Now i know first thing most will think is a bit in the worng hands can cause this... Well doesnt matter who is riding him, this still happens. Hes 99% of the time very good and goes by voice, even out in a open field i can slow him from a gallop by voice only! So not like im constantly hanging off his mouth (unless he has a kill my owner day like a few weeks back!!!) the only time i really need to use it is on the eay back from a hack when he knows hes near home and like to try and trot but i do a gentle slow down and he slows, then reins are loose again, so again not hanging on his mouth... Other people have previously ridden him and not beein hanging on his mouth but same thing happened. Today i rode in the school in the sweet iron, it comes out of his mouth near enough dry! And as i said made it very sore. Now in the school this is a horse that refuses to move, so seriously hardly on the mouth in the school, hard to get him going and hes happy to slow or stop (hes not a schooling fan) its very windy and trees run up one side of the school so he was a bit on/off the bit as everything needed looking at properly in his opinion today. I have tried a standard metal bit which he hated and made it obvious with his backing up, rearing head throwing and feet stamping untill i took it out of his mouth, thats why the sweet iron was suggested something to do with them not being as cold (something like that)

Bitless is something else we tried but i am not confident with that when we go out now because hes got in to the habbit of taking off home and has done so it bitless several times despite my best efforts to stop him!

Tried vaseline doesnt help all i am doing at the moment is using honey heel cream on the sore corners of his mouth which has it cleared by the next day.

So any ideas? Anyother bits i can try? Or creams?

oh yeah forgot to say teeth done 5/6 monthly and had bit/bridle checked by a proper person (the saddle fitter, she also does bridles/bits) so sizings all correct and also forgot to say doesnt do any head throwing or anything when ridden (unless flies are about or coming up to his dentist being due)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 5
first thought is are you really 100% sure the bits are the correct size? I know you’ve had it checked but can you post a pic?
My old pony would rub easily as you describe and her Myler rubbed her mouth as it was 1/4" too big

first thought is are you really 100% sure the bits are the correct size? I know you’ve had it checked but can you post a pic?
My old pony would rub easily as you describe and her Myler rubbed her mouth as it was 1/4" too big

cAn post pics tommrow, He was measured for 5.5 inch and then the lady ok'd them both also... The sweet iron looked small to me thats the reason i got her to check but she said its fine but yes i can post pictures tommorow, with or without the rubber rings?

There is this from yesterday if its any good, cant really see alot there. He has the flash which also isnt tight i can get my hand in/out easy its just to stop him opening his mouth really wide and bolting home and we had rubbing before we started using the flash also, so ive pretty much ruled that out

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 18
Lottie is the same, the corners of her mouth bleed a little every time I hunt her :( I'm trying bit butter. Hers is from pulling though, day to day unless she decides to be super strong it doesn't rub.

Last edited:
This may be far fetched but could the rubber rings be part of the PROBLEM.

It's s bit of a different reaction but years ago I had a horse alergic to rubber feed buckets and tubs.

I like that copper infused bit.

This may be far fetched but could the rubber rings be part of the PROBLEM.

It's s bit of a different reaction but years ago I had a horse alergic to rubber feed buckets and tubs.

I like that copper infused bit.
No did it before i got the rubber rings, i brought them in hope itd stop it :(

Pics, the sweet iron and il post happy mouth pics below... Not the best pics he wouldnt stay still and his winter fluff covers the corners of his mouth too! He made the simplest taskdifficult today lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    759.7 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    691.5 KB · Views: 10
And happy mouth both bits are 5 and half inch

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    551.6 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    679.4 KB · Views: 11
really hard to say from the pics, sorry, the loosering looks neat in one pic but not in the other. You could go up / down 1/4 inch and see if it helps :) .

really hard to say from the pics, sorry, the loosering looks neat in one pic but not in the other. You could go up / down 1/4 inch and see if it helps :) .
I dont think it was straight he was having a right divvy moment, kept snatching his head the opposite direction when i was trying to do the picture, these simple pics that should have took 2 mins took about 15!!! Lol. Hows the hapoy mouth look in your opinion

I don't know if you can buy it where you are from but here (new Zealand) we can get an ointment you use on cows udders to prevent cracks etc from milking, I used it alot for polo ponies to keep the corners of their mouths soft. Maybe something you could try?

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
newrider.com