Bleeping bleeping bleep-bleep mud fever.

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
We went the whole bleeping winter. Waiting for him to get it. Living in a bleeping swamp. With his four beautiful white socks. And he gets it one bleeping bleeping week before the bleeping weather clears up, the whole bleeping yard is wormed, and then moved to new lush, green grazing.

Gutted is not the word.

Please imagine all bleeps to be the most creative, fruity swears you have ever heard.

:mad::(

I’m keeping him in until Tuesday after the weather has cleared. Wondering how to treat it other than keeping it clean and dry. He won’t be moving to his new field until Saturday. Wondering if I should keep him in until then? He doesn’t turn into a nutter if he’s in for a while. I can graze him in-hand a little until Sat when he moves.

If he's ok in & you can walk him in hand a few times a day &/or ride somewhere dry then I'd keep in. I'd be inclined to put a good mudfever cream on & then leave well alone because in my experience fiddling around with it just encourages it to spread. If you want to you can put cling film over the cream & then bandage, but if you do that don't reuse the cling film of bandages.

On a positive note I'd actually rather other horses grazed the top off the lush green grazing, suddenly putting them on it can be a recipe for gassy colic.

Reactions: HaloHoney
I had great success with MTG plus for Jess' very stubborn MF, it is anti bac, anti fungal and anti something else but the main aim of it is to improve the skins resilience to stuff, worked a treat for her and no reoccurrences :)

It seems to be a case of what works for one doesn't for another I'm afraid. I always found Equine America's Fungatrol ointment worked vey well for us & Barrier Heel to Hoof cream was pretty good too. I know many people swear by Sudocreme but that used to make Jim even more sore, and a honey based ointment - Equur? it was years ago - just made a sticky mess that did no good & was all but impossible to get off sore legs to apply something more effective.

I'd see what your local tack shop has & recommends & go with that. One thing I did find is that thin creams or greases that thin down with warmth from the skin are easier to apply on sore legs that they don't want handled much.

Ask yout vet if they have any cream. Our vets mix up antibiotic and steroids into aqueous cream and sell it by the tub.

Ask yout vet if they have any cream. Our vets mix up antibiotic and steroids into aqueous cream and sell it by the tub.

I think that's similar to what I have for Raf - it's antibiotics and steroids (you're supposed to wear gloves to apply it) and the base is quite a thin cream, like aqueous cream, which, as @carthorse mentions, is easy to massage into the scabs. It feels quite cooling too. My only gripe is that they sell it in huge tubs that cost about £30 a go, which I have no hope of using all up. When I enquired they said they couldn't do it in smaller tubs because that's the smallest amount of the drugs they could mix ... no, I don't know why they couldn't mix up a tub's worth and then split it into two smaller tubs .... :rolleyes:

Lottie has mud fever too, only just started on her two white socks on her back legs, it's quite mild though not too bad. I washed with diluted hibscrub dried them off really well and then used sudocreme it was gone in about 2 days just looking a bit pinker. Then I put Lincoln muddy buddy barrier cream on when she goes out. Praying it dries up soon, I'm so sick of mud.

Right, we’re going with clean legs and sudocrem, bandages on overnight because that’s what I had to hand. If I need to go chasing around trying to get him some decent cream tomorrow, I can do.

The boy was an absolute star today- worked nicely, but seemed sad when I tucked him back up in his stable for the night. :(

Hope the sudocrem does the trick.

newrider.com