Can you ride draft horses such as a shire? (Any pics of your horses???)

This is my horse, 'Pink' she is Clydesdale x Welsh D 15.1hh She has just been clipped out as in spring she gets all itchy and destroys everything by itching if I leave her hairy!

Attachments

• pink.JPG
    pink.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 66
This is my old boy, a 16hh suffolk punch X clydesdale. he could be ridden, but he's a right little B****r!
jumby.jpg

jumbyshead.jpg

And at one riding school they had a 17hh shire cross, and i rode him bareback over a jump:eek: I wouldn't even THINK of doing that now!

Here is a pic from a local horse show, a young rider and a big beautiful Clydesdale. I live in Canada, and have never seen a shire horse, they don't seem that common here, I believe they are similar to the Clydesdale. Also, most of the jumpers competing now are Clydesdale/Thoroughbred crosses, huge, athletic, and wonderfully docile.

*really?* We've got,

A shire,
two percheron/QH's
two belgians

And all are riden :cool: (And I'm in Canada, too)
I would love to go the other route form showjumping if I ever get into that seriously- I'd like to buy a clyde sporthorse- cheaper, more attractive, and just as good :D heck, I'd like one anyway! I love the draft look, but I'm not sure if I'd like the motion of them. I'm more of a galloping through the fields kind of girl.

Just.Jump said:
but I'm not sure if I'd like the motion of them. I'm more of a galloping through the fields kind of girl.

Ooooh, you should see my boy move!! He has *the* most WONDERFUL paces despite/because of his size!!

i ride the 2 draft horses at the barn(sometimes)
Penelope-percheronX
winter06.jpg

howtall.jpg

and Lucy,she is 17hh right now and is still growing!!!also a percheronX(we think)
riding1.jpg

me.jpg

unknownhorse13.jpg

I ride a heavyweight Irish Cob, my laptop is broken and I can't be bothered getting links (long day!) but he's bigger than some clydes and shires, and is (when he wants to be) a good riding horse. He's still green.

I've rode lots of different drafts in the past - Clydesdales, Shires, Suffolk Punch, Percheron etc

Ooooh, you should see my boy move!! He has *the* most WONDERFUL paces despite/because of his size!!

All the more reason to have a go with the younger percheron/qh when he gets started! I swear, they look like psuedo friesians =D

wow, i havent been on here for awhile. You guys are so lucky, i think it would be so cool to ride a a draft horse. Maybe its just me but i think it would be exstatic. Sorry i havent been on an update with you guys!
Hey what horse is really really small and is like a shetland but smaller? I think it starts with an F? I was rying to discribe it to some one but i couldnt remember the name of it! Grrr i hate it when that happens.

Thanks.sorry.

Tierney

runaked said:
Hey what horse is really really small and is like a shetland but smaller? I think it starts with an F? I was rying to discribe it to some one but i couldnt remember the name of it! Grrr i hate it when that happens.

Fallabella!!

There's a Clydesdale at the barn where my horse is boarded who does dressage. He has a great temperament and is so great to watch!

Here is a pic of my Clydie X....She is a youngster and we hope to compete in dressage.

Her forte seems to be showjumping, as she cleared a 5ft yard fence when she got bored of being cooped up!

She has inherited more from the Clydie side than the cross!

Attachments

• clydiex.jpg
    clydiex.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 67
Awww! Love this thread! Excellento pictures - I'm at school being told I can do what I want (yes, of course I've finished the work!:p). My mate is loving this thread and she is non-horsey! Yay!....Don't think we'll get her converted though....:cool:

Vic x

This is the boy I used to ride (the one in the distance), not really sure of his breeding, think it was shire x, and he was 18.1hh, and called jake-sort as butter!!
oliinfield.bmp

I rode another heavy horse at the same place, again, dunno of his breeding, but he used to log and couldn't you just tell-he was like a tank, about 17.2hh although you can't really tell from this
sammy.bmp

Vicki xx

Last edited:
yes you can

yes you can ride shires i have one called apple and he is anything apart from calm but he does look after his riders even tho he is very forward going. where do u live maybe you could come and have a go on apple.
from katey
apollozadel.jpg

Wally said:
It's sad, but I know of some Haflingers who are 15.2hh these days. Never in the reign of pig's puddn' in my day, But not far off these day of that 16.2hh you ave there.

Haflingers is Haflingers, 14,2h at the most in my book. IF you want a bigger horse go for your horse, or Norika.

She does look a sweetie pie.

I knew a Haffy that was about 15.2, but she wasn't intentionally bred to be! The other ponies from the same breeding program are all properly in the standard Haflinger size range (though I'm betting the ones from her same lines are towards the upper end on average). She was pretty nifty though - nice mover. (As were her pony size relatives)

k8tymem8ty said:
yes you can ride shires i have one called apple and he is anything apart from calm but he does look after his riders even tho he is very forward going. where do u live maybe you could come and have a go on apple.
from katey
apollozadel.jpg

Blaine, MN...

where is apple. I am assuming the horse is apple. wow i love the feathers!

newrider.com