Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Chanter sorry move questions

Discussion in 'Horse Care' started by OwnedbyChanter, Jan 13, 2018 at 9:11 PM.

1. OwnedbyChanter

OwnedbyChanter With out my boys life would be bland

So I had the vet she said he has a heart murmur and is very stiff. She advises Bute twice a day for a month then dropping to one.

She was very impressed with how he was looking and his overall health.

Now the problem I have is he is now drugged so feeling better he is now laying down every day but I can see he is still struggling now the issue us is he going down to sleep and relaxing and getting up because the drugs are covering the pain but the problem is still there and drugs are covering the pain but The issue is still there.

Struggling to explain what I am thinking sorry

2. orbvalley

orbvalley Well-Known Member

I'm glad for you & Chanter that the vet has as least relieved the pain enough for him to lie down and sleep. If it were me I'd do exactly what the vet has suggested and keep the dose for one month then see what happens at half dose.
    However I do feel your pain in seeing your old friend like this, walking with you, love & courage xxx

Trewsers and OwnedbyChanter like this.
  3. carthorse

carthorse Well-Known Member

I'm another who'd do as the vet suggests. Hopefully he'll become more active as the drugs kick in & that will help him loosen up & make things like getting up easier.

Trewsers, Jessey and orbvalley like this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. MrC

MrC https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/

Yes it is a bandaid on a bullet wound essentially. There is no cure for old age infirmities. Yes the issue is still there but as long as he is just going about daily activities and not being asked to jump and do excessive riding he won’t be doing any damage. I struggled with it, am I medicating for the right reasons etc. I still struggle with it, every day I put meds in his feeds I struggle with the thought of it all. Even more so now that I’m nearly £100 in meds every month :(

Kia is on one a day, he could still roll etc however he has an issue with his poll or neck somewhere ( hard to know exactly without X-rays etc) he was getting pain and was very crabby so Vet suggested popping him on a Danilon a day and we have had no problems since. This was the reason I bought the micklem, I thought is was the bridle but turned out not to be although he does like the micklem better than a standard bridle :)

Jessey and carthorse like this.
  6. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

I think I'd give it a try and see, hopefully as @carthorse suggests once he's moving more the stiffness might ease up and lead to him needing less meds or managing with supplements. If you do need to keep him on a small dose over the winter to keep him comfortable, I would ask for danilon rather than bute, it's marginally more expensive but much gentler on their system. What does the vet suspect the issue is?

7. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins Well-Known Member

My initial thoughts are that yes, the issue is still there but what is the harm of drugs helping him through it? If the drugs are making him able to get up and down and feel better then does it really matter if they are masking the real problem? I think that with older horses the priority is making sure that they are comfortable in the short term. If the bute makes him happy, pain free and mobile, I would continue to give it for as long as it makes him happy.

I see this the same with people. My dad has a heart attack 2 months ago. He is now on a pile of drugs morning, lunch and night. They keep him alive and pain free. That is the beauty of medical advancement. We all get old (horses and people) and we will all eventually have to pass on. But if drugs can prolong our life and make the older years more comfortable, then I think we should continue to give them and cherish the days that we have left with our loved ones. I try not to think about it too deeply with my dad as it makes me sad and there is nothing I can do. Bodies (horse and humans) wear out but a few pills can make all the difference so I would embrace that option.

Trewsers, orbvalley and carthorse like this.
  8. OwnedbyChanter

OwnedbyChanter With out my boys life would be bland

IMG_0727.JPG Again thank you. We did opt for danilon in the end.

I agree the move he moves the better it will be.

@Jessey just old really he is 27 this year I stopped riding because his has arthritis in his hocks and knees.

@MrC he retired two years ago the excessive thing he does is play with ginger in the field.

It's lovely seeing him walking better this morning.

@Mary Poppins sorry to read about your dad it must be terribly upsetting but you are right it just low level drugs to keep him moving better his welfare and care are always my main concern

Jessey, carthorse and orbvalley like this.
  9. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Lots of good advice, totally agree with seeing how it goes - Storm went from quite a high dose of danilon toa low one, she moves loads better now and with the right supplements is enjoying a (hopefully long) muddy retirement. I know how hard it is seeing them grow stiffer and older but in my honest opinion if he's looking fine and dandy overall he's a long way off needing another re think. You know what I mean and I'm sure you understand I mean that kindly:)

OwnedbyChanter and orbvalley like this.
  10. orbvalley

orbvalley Well-Known Member

Also looking on the bright side it may be more a case of helping him through the rest of the winter and see if he springs back in the Spring;)

Trewsers likes this.
  11. eml

eml Moderator

@orbvalley and I had the same thought, nurse him through to spring and review. Maybe just think about not putting him through another winter? We always go on 'better a month too early than a day too late' Sorry not cheerful subject but better planned than forced on us.

12. newforest

newforest Why have grain, when you can have yummy grain

The problem is still there, whatever that is, but I don't see the harm in giving something to help any living creature feel more comfortable.
    I am on daily pain killers, a small dose, it just helps.

Horses can be stiffer in winter, so just evaluate. Being able to lay down and sleep will make him feel better in general. They do need that time to snooze.

Did they say anything about drugs effecting the heart murmur?
    Is he still struggling even with the meds, sorry if I misread your first part.

13. Lemme

Lemme Well-Known Member

We had the same dilemma , Tess is now 27 and has COPD and arthritis in back hock, we took the decision after a lot of soul searching to manage her through the Summer on Meds and take each winter at a time, last winter we struggled a little keeping weight on and getting her COPD under control but percevered , gave her the summer and then we would see how she went - this winter so far she is showing no signs of distress, we have her arthritis under control fine and hoping not to jinx it the meds are working on her COPD management, she is rugged out 24/7 she gets oil daily and turmeric for her arthritis, we increased the oil to help with the weight, we have bute on standby should she need it so far she has not, she rarely goes down but then never did, she has access to ample grazing and we got veteran haylage for her when frost or snow on ground, she is happy and her usual opinionated self, just older and slower - she gets her vet check in a couple of weeks - last time they said if she deteriorated they would think about alternative meds/options to help, fortunately she does not look to have and seems stable and no signs of distress or pain, at her age we have already spoken about taking the decision we have been trying to push to the back of our minds, we have had her nearly all her life, the kids have grown up with her , she seems always to be have been in ours, shes a member of the family and to let go will break our hearts but if she deteriorated to a point it would be selfish to keep her with us then we would giver her peace - hopefully the fighter she is it will be a few years yet.

Jessey and orbvalley like this.
The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties