Cleaning a leather girth?

Stella2

Aug 5, 2001
North East England
Visit site
I have never used a leather girth before, but I have just ordered one from Better Saddles. I expect I should clean the outside like any other leather tack, but what about the inside? Will using a leather cleaning product make it slip?

What do you do with your leather girths?

well I clean my leather girth like anything else. Just DONT oil it!!! my friend made the mistake and her saddle sild all the way under her horse and she fell of!:rolleyes:

hope it helps

I also clean my leather girth as normal. But, I do go easy on the inside. However, saying that, I've just bought the Effax saddle cream soap and that is totally non-slip so will be using that thoroughly on the whole girth.

S

I use saddle soap, clean all tack the same, when we arrive at show i use the spray on everything, right down to the kids riding boots once their up and aboard!! not had a girth slip or slide yet.

clean as normal - BUT clean it every time you get off the horse! I tended to use leather wipes (ditto with a lip strap the days I had a horse that had one) as they are quicker/easier that getting the entire cleaning kit out every time.

claire hodgson said:
clean as normal - BUT clean it every time you get off the horse! I tended to use leather wipes (ditto with a lip strap the days I had a horse that had one) as they are quicker/easier that getting the entire cleaning kit out every time.

What is a lip strap?

saddle soap is fine on a leather girth, same as it is fine to use on the underside of the saddle. it can get worn very quickly if it gets covered in sweat.

i have never heard of oiling a girth, but then if you use it regularly and clean it wil glycerin soap every time you shouldnt need oil. the yard i help at has done this every time and some of their tack has been around 20 years or so

newrider.com