Confidence and size of horses?

I have 2 horses now. a 13.2 pony and a 16 hand quarter horse cross.

I'd never ridden a pony before mine and at first I felt very off balance and toppy. It took a while for that to wear off. he still spins very fast.

I'd always jumped up on big horses without question and didn't worry. Until I got my pony and he's so nutty that he's made me a nervous horse person now. so I do question all horses before I get on..=) or rather question the owner to know if the horse will go batty. I was nervous to get on our new horse when we first met her because she hadn't been ridden in a year.

I do still feel 'better' or more balanced on the larger horse, but it does seem like it would be a much harder fall than from my pony and I've seen our new horse go spinny with my poor hubby so it's a worry in the back of my head. as someone said a larger horse gives your more of a 'seat' than a short backed pony but they can still spin pretty fast too.

and on our farm the pony horse comparison is the pony is a chihuahua and the horse is a lab retriever. (we've had both) the horse is soooo much more calm and predictable.

but it's true...when the big one goes crazy it a lot scarier and harder to control than a little one. buuuuuuut the big ones don't get scared as often.

so size isn't so important than the personality of the horse...but I think bigger horses are more chilled out over all.

Depends on the horse/pony in question for me. I feel safest on ponies generally as its nearer to the ground and less far to fall! However I used to ride a 17hh at the RS whom I felt completely safe on, he was just such a gentleman and so placid and easy to ride that his height didnt really bother me and I felt less likely to come off him as he was so wide I wasnt going anywhere :giggle:. He was like a big comfy armchair. I've been on a 14.1hh though that was too narrow for my liking and I felt really unsafe, like if he did anything I'd be straight off the side. I like short and wide the best :) But if a bigger horse is placid in temperament then I dont feel any different on them to a pony as I get confidence from knowing they are well-behaved. Some of the biggest horses at the RS were a lot slower and gentle than the ponies who were mostly quite fizzy and forward as they were used to child riders with no fear - the ponies would drag you all over the place when leading whereas the biggest horses would patiently walk beside you!

I'm 100% more confident on anything 14.1hh and under. Have had some 'interesting' hacks out on ponies and I laugh it off. Bails is 13.2hh and although she is particularly saintly even when I tried her out I just felt at home.

Taking her hunting for the first time this weekend and I'm excited instead of nervous even though I know she's never done it before!

There are some breeds that are perhaps a bit livelier than others i suppose, but in my experience size doesnt come into it. I am old enough to remember the Clydesdales on the farms and at age 10 or 11 i was sent by an old farmer to spread dung off the back of a box cart with a big Clydie called prince. I couldnt lift the head collar over his head but that horse was as calm as could be. Looking back i thought i was working him but in fact it was the other way about, he knew exactly where he was going and how many steps he should take to stop for me to pull off some dung with a dung hawk. He would plod away all day never complain and had other kids climbing all over his back, hanging of his ears and tail but he just stood there, i think he liked the attention. But by then the tractors had practically taken over and i remember my grandad saying it was the end of the world and he was glad he was to old to work anymore as he didnt want to sit on a machine all day, you cant talk to a bloody machine he used to tell all us youngsters, we thought he was bonkers all that hard work with horses, but now i am not so sure and he may have had a point.

lovely story :smile:

I'm more confident on Jack who is 17.2 hh. I'm less confident on narrow horses :frown:

Thoroughbreds - no matter what their size just do everything quicker. So if they are going to spook, run off, buck, they just do it quicker. Doesn't mean they are worse or nastier, just quicker, in my experience.

Cobs probably try to take a hold more as they are stronger.

Personally, I don't think it makes any difference as to size. A thoroughbred I had was nowhere near as spooky as my appy, which made him a lot easier to ride, although he was 16.2 and Tobes is 15.2. The TB galloped a lot faster, but that was easy, as he just galloped, and anyone can stay on that.

I don't think in this case size matters at all. Horses are what they are, and they can get you off just as easy if they are the type if they are 13.2 or 17.2In my opinion, it is the quickness of the reactions of them that makes the difference.

newrider.com