Confidence is a Funny Thing

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Last Saturday I was posting asking for advice on exercises to keep us occupied as I had confined us to the school due to terrible nerves. I was scared to get on and worried about spooking. We had ridden in the school that day with no issues but I had to keep reminding myself to breathe. The following day was slightly better and I felt able to ride back to the field solo - a big leap as I had to dismount to open the school gate and clamber back on. I then had a lesson on Tuesday, RI brought her horse and we hacked round the back of the castle. All fine.

Well today I'm off work and had some choices in regards to what I could do, but all would be done alone. School and hack back, walk out in hand or hell, why not ride round the back of the castle solo, a hack I've been aiming at over the last year - its been a sort of challenge I'd set myself but not yet achieved. Funny thing is, I was nervous but not that nervous. My sensible side reasoned that I haven't solo hacked properly in a couple of months, shouldn't I just do a mini one and work up to this? Nope. The daredevil side was feeling particularly strong today. It just felt right so I chose solo hack - mounting outside of the field (something I hate doing incase I fall off and he runs) all fine. I must have sung my heart out to disguise the noise of any pheasants jumping out of the bushes and shots being fired in the distance and Flipo had a couple of attempts at turning back for home, but overall he did fabulously. He was hesitant at times but I'm so grateful that is all he manages in terms of nappy behaviour. Even riding past the wild little welshie that had been moved fields nearest to the road didn't cause any problems. We were out for 45 minutes - our longest hack yet. Flipo, I love ya!:wub:

So just a message to everyone experiencing similar (and a reminder to myself) when you're feeling low, maybe having a nervy blip, don't for one second think that it will always be this way. You might be surprised at how quickly it bounces back with just a little bit of determination and effort.:wink:

Flipo the bog pony (think he's been taking lessons from Ziggy) says hi!

984596bc.jpg

(ETA - I always wonder, when people say they just brush the bit where the saddle goes in winter, do they really do that, or is it just me:redface:)

Looking slightly better (but only cause the sun came out!)-

42df81f2.jpg

Go you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a real testament to how far you have come on, and it's all due to your hard work :biggrin:

Ha ha ha ha ha! He really is manky!

Soooo happy for you both, sounds like you had a whole lot of fun....and no pressure!

How is the big lump getting on with his new shoesies?

Thanks guys, its starting to sink in this afternoon and I'm feeling pretty proud of us (not to mention relaxed, glad I did it first thing in the morning and can now enjoy my day without being nervous!)I didn't think we'd do that this year despite it being a target I had quietly set. Maybe there's hope for us after all lol!

Ha ha ha ha ha! He really is manky!

Soooo happy for you both, sounds like you had a whole lot of fun....and no pressure!

How is the big lump getting on with his new shoesies?

Lol, yep Laura, manky is the best word to describe him. :giggle: Big lump is good with his shoes ta, he's going back next Wednesday for a check up and more farriery so we shall see what the experts think. Am feeling much more relaxed about it now though so the trip will hopefully go without a glitch. :wink:

Well done you and adorable Flipo :wub:

And thanks for this;

[QUOTE=

So just a message to everyone experiencing similar (and a reminder to myself) when you're feeling low, maybe having a nervy blip, don't for one second think that it will always be this way. You might be surprised at how quickly it bounces back with just a little bit of determination and effort.:wink:

Something I really, really, badly need to hear at the moment. x

Thanks guys, its starting to sink in this afternoon and I'm feeling pretty proud of us (not to mention relaxed, glad I did it first thing in the morning and can now enjoy my day without being nervous!)I didn't think we'd do that this year despite it being a target I had quietly set. Maybe there's hope for us after all lol!

Lol, yep Laura, manky is the best word to describe him. :giggle: Big lump is good with his shoes ta, he's going back next Wednesday for a check up and more farriery so we shall see what the experts think. Am feeling much more relaxed about it now though so the trip will hopefully go without a glitch. :wink:

Well you have my number should you have any unexpected suprises! :wavespin:

LBrider, am glad it helps, I know myself this place is brilliant for mutual support for ups and downs, keep at it.
Thanks Laura, yep, got your number:wink: will let you know how we go.

Pmsl at the bog pony pic. This is what Joy often looks like and guess why we can get ignored by those on big posh CLEAN horses! I am gratified to see somebody else who is as confident as I am to embrace the au natural look!

Ha ha, Ziggy's influence reaches right up north of the border!

Me, I just brush off a saddle patch, and we titter at the big shiny stable-kept horsies who go past us with their noses in the air.

Well done you FM, what a great thing to achieve! Your longest solo hack yet - wonderful.

I'm so pleased for you. :dance::bounce: You must be one very happy bunny. Hopefully this is a new start for you, and your confidence will carry on growing with the lovely Flipo. What a star he was. I hope this is just the start of many happy hacks for you. :smile:

Pmsl at the bog pony pic. This is what Joy often looks like and guess why we can get ignored by those on big posh CLEAN horses! I am gratified to see somebody else who is as confident as I am to embrace the au natural look!

Can Roxy & I join that club? We do the hairy, muddy, dragged through a hedge backwards look quite well!

Although FM I have to say doing a running plait in her mane has worked wonders for stopping it turning into dreads!

Fantastic!!!! Do it more now :) I haven't solo hacked for ages, but I'm not nervous anymore about it...the last solo hack we did was 3 hours long and Moët was an absolute gem, so I have no nerves at all for when the time comes that I get out solo again (too often babysitting new loaners for the last few months to get out solo!)

You're right Julie, I do really need to get out more and we'll get better and better at it. Shame weather and dark nights are going to be against us, just as we're getting it together again. Heh ho. Thats the way it goes I guess. At least I know that it hasn't taken much from me feeling nervy to feeling more confident about it, so if the snow comes and we're put through an enforced break, I'll be ok to get started again afterwards.

And yep RM, you're more than welcome to join! As much as I hate mud in general, Flipo cheers me up every time I see him looking like a mucky pup. If you're gonna get dirty, may as well do it properly...and boy does he manage that. At least he scrubs up ok when required.:wink:
Hmmmm, we don't seem to get those big posh horses up here at this time of year JC and Jane. Don't think they come out of their beautiful stables until March now. Means its as quiet as anything, am actually starting to like this winter stuff for riding - everyone's indoors so no scary spooky stuff about. Long may it continue.

newrider.com