Cyclists

cleohorse

Jun 11, 2014
Well I just thought I would share some videos from my hat cam of some cyclists I met last week on my boy. I see lots of riders saying how bad cyclists are so I thought It would be nice to show that not all cyclists are bad :)

We also met motorbikes which my boy is scared off and I am please to say the bikers were brill and waited for my boy to pass them :)

I must admit most of the cyclists i meet are really considerate, I get the odd ninja that sneaks up on us lol I have never met a motorcyclist yet who hasn't been very thoughtful..they are really, really considerate. Now car drivers:rolleyes:, most are good but i would say about one third on each hack would be atrocious..:eek:

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
My husband is a motor biker and he says most sensible bikers would slow down because a spooking horse could cause them to skid, lose control of their bike and come off. Most bikers I meet slow down and stop if they see you having trouble with your horse, saying that, I was riding with a friend who was in front and she asked a biker to slow down as her horse had recently spooked at a noisy bike. The biker slowed to around 40mph ( in a 20 zone) waited til he was right next to us, then revved his engine really hard as he shot passed.
I never swear! Well, almost never.........

The bikers look like a learner and instructor to me which is great because it shows they're being taught the right way to deal with livestock on the road. Not just horses either - I once came round a blind bend on my bike and almost hit a flock of sheep. Nobody up front of them just a Landy and a couple of blokes wîth a dog at the rear.

Cyclists seem to fall into two categories; those who think about a given situation and are really good for giving warning and waiting if need be and those with a death wish.

Cyclists round here seem to be really good. There are loads so the horses have to get used to them. Motor bikers too for the most part are very good. I like to think we respect each other's hobbies. The only thing that concerns me is that last summer we seemed to have quite a lot of weekend trippers - a whole load of bikers all in a bunch - coming through the village. Although they slowed down for the horses, so many bikes, some of which were very noisy, does frighten some horses. You have to take a detour off the main road to go through the village so they have no reason to go through the village other than to just have a look at it. It's not a very pretty village or anything, so I do kind of wish they wouldn't bother!

I have a bicycle stoopid youngster! But so far everyone has been really good, and even motorcyclists have stopped and made a fuss of him sat on their bikes, I have handed them treats to feed him while they are on the bikes.

Great video !!
For the most part over here people are good too. You get the occasional clueless yahoo.
Is there a law on the books there about horses having the right away???
There is here-- bikes cars trucks etc aside from slowing down are supposed to stop
and let the horse pass them if the horse is showing any signs of fear etc-- like the 2 motorbikes did for you.

Reactions: orbvalley
Fab videos. <3 The cyclists round my way are brill and shout 'bikes' if they come up behind us to let us know in plenty of time. It's the cars we have issues with. They fly round, despite us being covered in high vis. We always hack out in pairs or have someone in high vis walking on the ground in case anything happens but people don't seem to give a toss. There are several yards dotted about near each other and signs all over the place with horses on but they don't care and the roads are not that wide. Really annoys me.

Hats off to the cyclists and bikers:cool:
I lost the reins (on foot) with my youngster last week when 2 cyclists rang their bells to let us know they were arriving behind us ( I'd forgotten to keep a look out:oops:) My young poney leapt in the air, took the reins from my hand and ran off into the woods:oops:. The two cyclists were frozen to the spot:eek:. I calmed her down and tried to explain that she's "young & in training":rolleyes:.
In contrast I fell off of my motorbike today in the middle of town(no horses around!), turning right on a roundabout in the rain and the bike just slipped away from underneath me, it was much less painful than falling off a horse:p

Reactions: SeeingSpots
Mac doesn't usually have a problem with cyclists but there was one incident when a family came by and the father was towing one of those baby carriers. I think what worried Mac was the tall bendy aerial type thing with an orange flag on the top which was attached to the carrier. It's a good idea from a cyclist point of view but in Mac's opinion it had come to get him. Another time In the same spot that this happened, my friend and I met a scarey Harley Davidson. We heard it coming a. long time before we saw it and the girl rider very kindly pulled into a turning off and turned the bike off. We stopped and had a chat about riding horses or bikes and then went on our merry way. The girl didn't give us much time to get away, started her bike up which backfired and my friend and I went up the road much quicker than we expected. I also used to ride a motorbike, never had a big one, started off with Lambrettas than had a long gap and got a small Triumph. I never came off a bike but I had many, many falls off horses ! I even took my bike round Brands Hatch at the Festival of a Thousand Bikes, it was very daunting but I'm glad I did it. I did raise some money for my R.D.A. group in sponsorship by doing it.

Mac doesn't usually have a problem with cyclists but there was one incident when a family came by and the father was towing one of those baby carriers. I think what worried Mac was the tall bendy aerial type thing with an orange flag on the top which was attached to the carrier. It's a good idea from a cyclist point of view but in Mac's opinion it had come to get him. Another time In the same spot that this happened, my friend and I met a scarey Harley Davidson. We heard it coming a. long time before we saw it and the girl rider very kindly pulled into a turning off and turned the bike off. We stopped and had a chat about riding horses or bikes and then went on our merry way. The girl didn't give us much time to get away, started her bike up which backfired and my friend and I went up the road much quicker than we expected. I also used to ride a motorbike, never had a big one, started off with Lambrettas than had a long gap and got a small Triumph. I never came off a bike but I had many, many falls off horses ! I even took my bike round Brands Hatch at the Festival of a Thousand Bikes, it was very daunting but I'm glad I did it. I did raise some money for my R.D.A. group in sponsorship by doing it.

I do apologise but I giggled a little bit at you going up the road quicker than expected as that reminded me of my pony, he likes to shoot off sometimes when things scare him haha

You're braver than me, I'm too much of a scaredy cat to even go on the back of one never mind go round Brands Hatch haha Well done for raising money for the RDA as well, that's so great. :) xx

[You're braver than me, I'm too much of a scaredy cat to even go on the back of one never mind go round Brands Hatch haha Well done for raising money for the RDA as well, that's so great. :) xx[/QUOTE]

I only ever went pillion once and that was with my brother, he set out to scare me and succeeded, from then on I preferred to be in control. My OH would have liked me to go pillion with him but I couldn't so we used to go out together on our own bikes.

newrider.com