Dan's Diary

I am with the showing they all go back to some relative in the lines stranely enough when we checked nuts pedigree she is closely related to acorn. Recognise some of yours lines we have standruff in both our lines

Reactions: Jessey
I haven't done much of anything since our last update, the odd scratch or brush, but he continues to perk up, he even had a trot round his paddock yesterday :D His previous owner messaged me Sunday night to check how he was settling in, so she did care about him, shame he wasn't cared for to the same extent. I really struggled not to say now he's worm and lice free he's a much happier little pony!

I briefly introduced the boys last night, I was hand grazing Dan and Jess was calm so wandered over to the fence (Jess fussed a little but nothing too dramatic), Dan was mostly more worried about grazing than Hank, Hank was scared at first then interested :) They touched noses a few times without drama, then Hank nipped Dan on the nose :rolleyes: and Dan squealed and struck out. I moved him away and back again and repeated, the next time he just squealed, the time after they just nuzzled :) My plan is to repeat tonight and hopefully leave Dan next to Hank, but I'll play that bit by ear

The boys went in together Thursday
http://www.newrider.com/threads/and-theyre-together.252506/#post-3079103
And they spend most of their time no more than 6ft apart :D Dan is the boss at feed time, and tells hank off if he pushes his luck at other times but I'm happy they seem to be getting along well and Jess is now wandering off and not in over protective mother mode which was the aim of the game :D

I've really just left the boys to figure things out this week, they're finding their groove nicely :) Dan is the boss at feed time but Hank pushes Dan around the field the rest of the time, and they are rarely more than a few feet apart and groom each other a lot :)

Dan is a funny little man, his default is a grumpy ears back face, even when you scratch him and his lip is wobbling he's still grumping :rolleyes: he doesn't follow through though, it's just like the wind changed and he got stuck like that o_O occasionally something gets his interest and he looks super cute, today that was my phone
FB_IMG_1522328892942.jpg FB_IMG_1522328907286.jpg
He's de-bloated and is starting to muscle up a little (looking a bit scruffy as they got very wet yesterday and his coat doesn't recover and fluff up like Hank's yet)
FB_IMG_1522328898997.jpg FB_IMG_1522328901813.jpg
I'm really leaning towards putting the boys on track with Jess, Hank is portly and I think it would help Dan come out of himself to have more interest than just a paddock and help him get leaner with more movement and I think he will be absolutely fine with Jess as he's not a pest like Hank! I figured I can create duck-under's for the boys so the have Jess free zones to escape to, which I think Dan would use and Hank would now follow, we shall see.

We also had success today in that I got to ride Jess and Hank only called a couple of times and stood with Dan, who just looked at him like he was an idiot :p and no sweaty stressy pony when I got home :D

Lol to the wind changing and his face getting stuck:phaven't heard that in a while:p
So glad to hear things are working out. Love seeing your pics too:)

Reactions: Jessey
Change may be a foot, last night Dan forgot himself when he was warning Hank off his bucket and came my way so I shooed him off and Hank instantly saw and did the same to Dan, tonight Hank had to be fed first!

I also saw Dan cantering for the first time :D Hank was hot on his heels so I'm not sure if it was a friendly game or if Hank is getting braver at bossing him about but they went round and round for ages, I've got a video but won't have time to upload it for a couple of days.

Reactions: Trewsers
I think the little boys are tussling for position, Hank has insisted on being fed first since Saturday and Dan has stopped trying to get in there. Hank doesn't try to steal Dan's food if he finishes first though. There has been lots charging about, normally Hank following Dan, but Dan will stop and have a face off periodically, cue lots of face biting and rearing.
They are squished in a little patch of field at the moment, I am trying desperately to rest some bits of the field and their charging about and all this rain was trashing one end of the bit they were on so it got cut down, I can't wait to get Jess on track so the boys can have more space in the bit she is in currently :)

Very soggy boys
29791138_10156212955867246_8267123657664750700_n.jpg 29683553_10156212955807246_5523879029808951495_n.jpg 29595304_10156212956737246_20656494102347907_n.jpg
This is Dan's default face that I have spoken about, grump grump grump!
29684000_10156212956877246_5788595816535865579_n.jpg

Last edited:
Dan is blooming, I'm really happy with the changes I'm seeing :) not the best pic but his coat now has a shine and he's going floofy and just looking less ratty
FB_IMG_1523038199239.jpg
The boys are such different shapes, Dan has a square bum and flatter back
FB_IMG_1523038202738.jpg
Where hank is more dainty and round
FB_IMG_1523038206128.jpg
They are friends who squabble at the moment, I bite you, then I bite you....
FB_IMG_1523038209774.jpgFB_IMG_1523038212965.jpg

Dan went on the weigh bridge yesterday, he was 138kg and a low 3 BCS (wouldn't be over a 3 if he gained a little more) :D He was a very good boy, walked the 2 miles there (with the other 2) and back again and was foot perfect, where when I first picked him up he was footy just walking the 50 yards from the housing estate and did everything at snails pace, I think his time with Hank has already get him a lot fitter :)

Dan has been very itchy, so he's had another deosect and I am pretty sure he has pin worm as well so they all had Equest Pramox on Monday night (wanted to wait to use it until after he had been on the weight bridge and the other 2 were due that so at least now they are all one the same page) and we're on the cleaning, greasing and spraying everything duty now. He managed to bust the 1 fence post that he could itch on, Sunday morning when I had no time to spare of course and rip half his tail out on the shelter, in their new bit they don't have anything to scratch on apart from the hay box, but he'd have hell of a job to break that! Hopefully his itch will be gone for good now.

Eeek to tail getting ripped out!! Madam lost a good portion of hers almost two years ago and it is still only half way to being grown back:(

The boys are still squabbling, I had hoped they would settle more by now. On Saturday they squabbled over some hay, Hank got hold of Dan's cheek and hung on as Dan span and tried to run away :( no harm done and he got his own back 5 minutes later by chasing Hank off :rolleyes: boys will be boys I guess but it would be so nice if they were besties rather than squabbling children.

newrider.com