Diarrhoea in horses?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Little bit of a panic tonight as ale has diarrhoea.

He seems fine in himself, drinking, eating, weeing normally, not dehydrated and was only the last couple of poos that were very loose.

I will be up there first thing to check on him again.

I'm just interested if anyone has experienced this with their horses and the outcome. I gave ale a patch of new grass yesterday about 24 hours before the diarrhoea has started, I'm wondering if that was the cause as although it wasn't that large there was a mix of grass and various plants about shin height which was possibly too lush for him. However the dung wasn't particularly green.

Anyway just interested in any thoughts. Of course I'll be ringing vets if he's no better but I thought as he seemed well wasn't any need to completely panic just yet.

Loose / soft poo (which is not diarrhoea btw ;)) is completely normal when a horse has changed to a different type of grazing. If he is otherwise fine I'd say it was nothing to worry about.

Reactions: MrA and orbvalley
Loose / soft poo (which is not diarrhoea btw ;)) is completely normal when a horse has changed to a different type of grazing. If he is otherwise fine I'd say it was nothing to worry about.

It was very very loose! The patch was only about 1m x 3m.

I do tend to get worked up about these things so it's good to get some reassurance tbh :)

Jess was loose yesterday (see the pinworms thread), she's not had anything in her diet change so I am wary of it, I'll definitely be checking consistency as soon as it's light out :p if it continues into Monday with no other symptoms I'll probably get a protexin quick fix for her, hopefully it's already cleared though.

Jess was loose yesterday (see the pinworms thread), she's not had anything in her diet change so I am wary of it, I'll definitely be checking consistency as soon as it's light out :p if it continues into Monday with no other symptoms I'll probably get a protexin quick fix for her, hopefully it's already cleared though.
People at work think owning a horse is very glamorous, I thought if they could see me now, wandering around in the dark with a torch looking for my horses dung!!

Hope hers clears up soon too!

Reactions: GaryB and Jessey
Haha yep, nothing glamorous about check poo, or shovelling it, etc :p
Jess is back to normal this morning, yay :)

Last edited:
newrider.com