Dieting a four year old?

OneHoofBeat

Jan 24, 2017
I have recently bought a four year old gelding. He was left to get fat, if he gains much more weight he will become a lami case. Which I am trying to avoid.
He is currently on three nets a day soaked, morning nets weighs in at about 2kg, lunch at 1kg and tea at 3.5kg. He goes a couple of hours without food but not too much to be a problem. He is also on a scoop and half of fast fibre, and I will be buying him some safe and sound tomorrow.
Tried to put him on Baileys low cal chop but he refused to touch it.
He's currently in full time work and is a fit as a fiddle, he can do 30/45 minutes session with no problem.
He's has no turnout right now as our fields are covered in grass but he does get out for about two hours a day in the schools. and hand walked a few times a day.
I have hung his net in the middle of his stall so he can't pin it against the wall to grab the hay, so it takes him a lot longer to eat. Plus it keeps him entertained while he's stalled.

Is there any exercises I could be doing with him that will help him lose weight? It's mostly on his stomach and he is very cresty.
Never had a cresty horse so will his crest go as he loses weight?
I want him at a lower weight by December.

Lots of movement either ridden or lunged, you could clip him and keep him slightly cooler, encourage his body to use some extra calories for warm, I don’t mean make him freezing just encourage him to use the calories as intended.

I would cut out the fast fibre and chop and get him a lite balancer. Spillers lite is easy on the pocket and easy to feed. Makes them think they are getting something.

I agree with MrC. Also I'd be inclined to muzzle him & turn him out, standing in a stable eating won't help him any even if it is just soaked hay. I'd also up his work, while I can understand not wanting to overwork a 4yo I think that plenty of long walk hacks - a brisk march walk - are unlikely to do damage & will certainly help shift the weight.

Reactions: MrC
Mine could only have about a cup (before soaking) of fast fibre or she got fatter, another vote for spillers lite here, gives my girl everything she needs without extra calories and she hoovers it up.

Exercise was key to getting Jess to loose weight, when she could we did lots of longer rides, not necessarily at any speed and that helped more than short intense sessions and that really kick started her weight loss. She is now out 24/7 on a track with very little grass and adlib hay now its getting colder and this is the first time in 12 years of owning her that I might actually need to feed her a little something more over winter (her ribs are just visible at the moment) and due to on off lameness for the last 2 years its the least consistent work she been in since she was backed.

newrider.com