Different horse......learning new things

LyndaB

Jul 1, 2017
South Australia
Well another few lessons have passed, still persevering. Now on Fanta, little smaller than Buddy and a little pocket rocket when she decides to get going.
Today had private lesson, was pouring when I got to the stables, so Rebecca (RI) and I chatted about the weather, waiting for storm to pass. (having really bad weather in South Australia at present). Then Rebecca got me to help tack Fanta up, learn all her foibles - what Fanta likes and doesn't like.
Then we headed to the arena (outdoor), a very wet arena. Rebecca knew that I needed to have time to get used to Fanta, so she had decided we would do some basic work, which was good. Even taught me how to get Fanta to move on the spot, moving her hind around. And I managed to do it myself, even got video. So will see if I can put that up here.
At least that's a positive, and have made the next few lessons private ones on Fanta so I can work on keeping my balance on her trot, and eventually work on cantering. Steadily going forwards. :)

I wanted to put a picture up, and/or even little video clip but am not sure how. Anyone able to give me some hints how to do this please?

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
It sounds like you're making progress with her :)

For photos I hit the 'upload a file' button below the reply typing box, select your photo and it should load to your thread, if its too large you just need to resize it first.

For video I put mine on YouTube then share the link from there.

Reactions: LyndaB
This all sounds really good Lynda :) . Is Rebecca the instructor you got on best with? You certainly sound much more positive & cheerful, as though you're enjoying your lessons again.

If a smaller horse also has a smaller stride with a quicker rhythm it can make them feel as though they're whizzing off, though the surprising reality is that they are often still going slower. Jim (16.2 ID) used to feel like he was loafing along while Little Un (14.2 welsh cob) would seem to be flying yet still losing ground. He never stood an earthly if Jim stepped on the gas, that big slow stride just ate the ground up so effortlessly.

Reactions: LyndaB
Hello @Jessey and @carthorse . Thank you, yes things are much better, even in the rain, wind I still enjoyed it.
Yes Carthorse Rebecca is one of the instructors I got on with, Alison is the other one - a little older, though Alison still gets where I am coming from. Buddy was nearly 16 hands, and Fanta is about 15.4 I think, she does feel like she goes faster. She is more responsive than Buddy but I still need to get the right leg aids etc.
Rebecca showed me how to get her to turn on the spot (cant remember what it was called) but I did it - in a fashion. It is great to be back on track, I have also made my next few lessons private on Fanta, so I can work on getting used to her and not worrying about others, or feeling pressured that I have to do what they are doing.
I did put some pictures up on media, including a link to the video on my FB page - not sure if that worked.
Oh well, see if I can get pictures up again. One day will have a video of me trotting - I can do this.

There are 4" to a hand, so 15.4 is actually the same as 16hh :p the reason its 4" is that's the average width of a mans hand (if your fingers are held horizontally to the ground and you measure vertically at the widest part) and that's how they used to measure horses :D having said all that you can get some horses the same size who feel totally different in terms of stride, when I had 2 riding horses they were both 15.1hh, Bo ate the ground up but with little pony steps, Jess on the other hand is hugely powerful and really strides out powering from behind by comparison :)

Thanks @Jessey that's good information. Yes Fanta feels so much different to Buddy. He is very much a plodder but she is so speedy when she gets going. Taking me some time to get used to her trot but will get there. Be glad when the weather gets a little nicer here, its been so wet. I worry about them falling over, know that's silly, my RI says they are fine - its me. Such a worrier, don't want to hurt them.
ah well, still love it. One day will be able to walk, trot and canter. :)

Reactions: Jessey
I ride two different horses for lessons; one is a 16h ISH & he has the loveliest long, loping strides, but seems to trot really slowly. The other is a 14.2h Connie cross and a proper little diva. His trot is the quickest thing ever; it makes me laugh as he seems to 'jog' round the school, and his canter feels super fast. FUN!! I literally LOVE both of them, and I switch between them to keep things interesting. I usually ride the 16h,as he's a proper schoolmaster, I trust him implicitly and I know he'll sort me out if I screw up, but occasionally I'll book a lesson on the little diva as I KNOW I'll come out of the lesson with a massive grin on my face. In reality, I'm sure they're both the same speed wise, but that littley is dam fun when you need a bit of a play about rather than a lesson of actual learning!!

Hello @Laura44, nice to meet you. Wow that sounds like the two I am learning to ride on. I am getting used to Fanta, had a lesson today. My coach (RI) Alison pointed out there is a new horse on the block, he is 20 years old, Alison feels that he will be perfect for me to learn on, she was riding him this afternoon so will be interested in seeing how he goes. He appears very gentle, calm horse. He is a x quarter horse, little bigger than Fanta but not as big as Buddy, solid build.
Its funny Alison and I talked about the horse - Buddy and Fanta - there different strides, ground covered. I love riding little Fanta but do feel safer and more comfortable on Buddy, see how this other horse works out - if I get chance to ride him.
Each lesson is so different, heaps to learn, and am loving it. :)
This web site it great support too, people talking from all over the world. What country are you in Laura44?
My next big holiday is hopefully next year, going back to UK and Ireland - planning to have a ride while over there if I can.
Cheers. :)

Hello @Laura44, nice to meet you. Wow that sounds like the two I am learning to ride on. I am getting used to Fanta, had a lesson today. My coach (RI) Alison pointed out there is a new horse on the block, he is 20 years old, Alison feels that he will be perfect for me to learn on, she was riding him this afternoon so will be interested in seeing how he goes. He appears very gentle, calm horse. He is a x quarter horse, little bigger than Fanta but not as big as Buddy, solid build.
Its funny Alison and I talked about the horse - Buddy and Fanta - there different strides, ground covered. I love riding little Fanta but do feel safer and more comfortable on Buddy, see how this other horse works out - if I get chance to ride him.
Each lesson is so different, heaps to learn, and am loving it. :)
This web site it great support too, people talking from all over the world. What country are you in Laura44?
My next big holiday is hopefully next year, going back to UK and Ireland - planning to have a ride while over there if I can.
Cheers. :)
I'm in East Anglia, UK.
I totally get the feeling safer on the bigger horse - Bally makes me feel the safest ever (you wait, I'll fall off him this afternoon now!), and I do everything first on him (we're currently wading through improving my canter), but then like to give things a go on the little one as he's a bit more of a challenge and less RS-ish. He doesn't need a constant leg on, he just goes until you tell him to stop!
Something middley sized sounds ideal for you - hopefully you'll get the best of both worlds. I'd love something around the 15/15.2 mark - I keep trying to persuade my school to get something in, but I may end up just having to go for it myself!

newrider.com