difficulty achieving correct leg position

Good for you @stigofthedump , well done in making the first step :) . I hope the lessons there go well and help you get this sorted, if they do I suspect you'll come on in leaps and bounds. For what i's worth I don't think the pony looks too small for you in the photo, but you may find that when you start working on your position something a bit narrower makes it easier until you've got more flexibility in your hips.

Will you keep us posted with how you get on? It's interesting to follow the progress of someone who's genuinely trying rather than making excuses, and from a purely selfish point of view I sometimes find something is said that makes me think and I can learn from :)
Thanks. I will update you although it might be a couple of weeks.

I'd suggest trying to get a few private lessons where you and the instructor can concentrate on correcting your position, not just telling you what's wrong.

In an ideal world you should have a straight line from ear - shoulder - hip - ankle and the front of your trunk should be the same length as the back. As you can see you're missing nearly every point. You have a chair seat, ie legs way in front of you, and that has pushed you to the back of the saddle. You're leaning forward probably because you feel insecure with where your legs and seat are, but you've also collapsed your middle which further weakens your position. Imo security comes from the leg and seat, and I bet if you could "just" sort your leg position out a lot of the rest would fall into place because you'd immediately feel more balanced and with the horse as opposed to bracing against it.

If your RI can't or won't help you with this - and saying legs back/heels down/sit up is no help whatsoever since you don't know how to do that and if you did it wouldn't be an issue - then I'd suggest going somewhere else for some private lessons. Explain the problem before you go, and be prepared to spend time in halt and walk getting it right, it will make a huge difference to all your riding.

I suspect I've sounded like I'm tearing you to pieces and that isn't my aim. It can be fixed! And the first step has been taken, namely realising it needs to be fixed. Go for it!
Until i saw that photo posted on FB I really did think I was (almost) in the correct position, especially in that lesson when I was making a big effort to be in the correct position. Might be a good idea in my lesson with a new RI to ask him/her to take a photo when I achieve the correct position so that I know what it should feel like.

Until i saw that photo posted on FB I really did think I was (almost) in the correct position, especially in that lesson when I was making a big effort to be in the correct position. Might be a good idea in my lesson with a new RI to ask him/her to take a photo when I achieve the correct position so that I know what it should feel like.

That would be a really good idea, and since it's a private lesson ask them to give you plenty of feedback on what's wrong, right and getting better so you can feel it as it happens. Photos are really useful but you're looking at them after the fact and you may not remember exactly how it felt at the moment the photo was taken. You aren't the first and won't be the last to find that what you think you're doing is a long way from the reality. There's a reason I use windows or shopfronts for a quick glance when I'm riding, and it isn't just to admire my cob!

Reactions: Jessey
Thanks. I will update you although it might be a couple of weeks.
HI. I have contacted another riding Centre to ask about private lessons. Unfortunately that Centre has a waiting list for lessons. The other riding centres in the area are too far away for me to travel to so I think I will have to persevere with my current riding centre. I have been trying to book a lesson during the next 2 weeks but the days and times that suit me are fully booked! Seems like there aren't enough riding centres in this area to meet demand. Will let you all know what happens.

HI. I have contacted another riding Centre to ask about private lessons. Unfortunately that Centre has a waiting list for lessons. The other riding centres in the area are too far away for me to travel to so I think I will have to persevere with my current riding centre. I have been trying to book a lesson during the next 2 weeks but the days and times that suit me are fully booked! Seems like there aren't enough riding centres in this area to meet demand. Will let you all know what happens.

Did you put yourself on the waiting list, and ask if they can contact you if they get cancellations? Or could you travel further for one or two lessons, sometimes it only takes a lesson or two with the right person to make everything fall into place. If all else fails hopefully some of the ideas on here will give you something to work with.

Maybe if you gave people a rough idea of your area they may be able to suggest somewhere? Sometimes the smaller places don't advertise.

Did you put yourself on the waiting list, and ask if they can contact you if they get cancellations? Or could you travel further for one or two lessons, sometimes it only takes a lesson or two with the right person to make everything fall into place. If all else fails hopefully some of the ideas on here will give you something to work with.

Maybe if you gave people a rough idea of your area they may be able to suggest somewhere? Sometimes the smaller places don't advertise.
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree travelling further to have a couple of lessons might help and then I can return to my usual riding centre however I really wanted help now and not have to wait to move up a waiting list which could take months. In the distant past I have had lessons at a couple of other local riding centres but didn't find them very helpful so don't want to go back to them. I am planning to carry on with the group lessons but at the moment it's very difficult to book a place. In the past I have found that if I book several weeks, even months, in advance at my usual riding centre then it is easier to book a group lesson that suits me but I would prefer not to commit to lessons so far in advance. Maybe the idea of sticking to the devil you know applies to my situation. Perhaps I should splash out financially and book a private lesson (these can be booked at a few days' notice) with my usual RI, the one who keeps correcting my position and ty to explain how I feel. Maybe she doesn't realise how confused and upset I am. She is very experienced and qualified, it's just that I don't find her approachable. So lots to think about 😕

It's hard if you aren't on the same wavelength as an RI and don't find them approachable, communication has to be two way. Is there a different RI there who you could book a lesson with? Even if they aren't as qualified it may be that you get on better with them and can explain how you feel, or they may just have a way of putting it that makes more sense to you. Years ago I had a couple of lessons with a RI who said "hips forward" rather than "shoulders back" and that was a game changer for me - I didn't stay with him since his phone was far more interesting that his pupils, but that one thing made it worthwhile.

If I were you I'd put my name on the waiting list, you can always take it off again if private lessons where you are help but if you wait a couple of months and then change your mind and add it it'll be even longer before you get help.

Reactions: stigofthedump
I think I’d chat to current RI before/after your lesson and see what you get, sometimes when doing back to back group lessons they can get a little ’all business’, you might find in a 1-2-1 situation he/she is much more personable.

I think I’d chat to current RI before/after your lesson and see what you get, sometimes when doing back to back group lessons they can get a little ’all business’, you might find in a 1-2-1 situation he/she is much more personable.
Hi everyone. Good news. I asked the "boss" RI (the not very approachable one) whether a lesson on the lunge would help. I had this lunge lesson with her on Wed, 2 days ago. It was really helpful. I got the chance to explain how I felt and she gave lots of feedback. She said my position isn't bad, it just needs slight improvement. The Dales pony I had the lunge lesson on is a pony that is used for beginners so I had ridden him a few times before. He is super-steady so I felt confident doing sitting trot without stirrups and no hands plus some other exercises whilst (trying to) maintain a correct position. I told her that even though I feel I start my ride in the group lessons in the correct position I was aware that I usually lean forward and my legs move forward. She agreed. We finished by agreeing that I will have a lunge lesson every 2 weeks and book a group lesson in the alternate week. Hopefully after a few lunge lessons my position will be more correct. I am feeling more hopeful now. So thank you all for your helpful comments and advice.

newrider.com