Do you think

newforest

The forum needs a new brand name?
Just thinking that the name "New Rider" doesn't tell you straight away that it's related to horses. It could easily be motorbikes or push bike!

Dunno, New Horse, New Rider, New Friends.

I'm bored.

I don't know, but can say when I set up my local facebook group for riders I initially called it XXX (our town) Riders and got loads of join requests from motorbike enthusiasts :) so changed to XXX Horse Riders and now only get horsey folk.

I like New Horse, New Rider, New Friends, and I think it covers all the bases. But changing names is fraught - lots of issues to consider. I wonder what mods think?

I don't think it matters that much, for example, I found NR when I google searched for something horse related, so even if the name was changed people will still find it.

I don't think it matters that much, for example, I found NR when I google searched for something horse related, so even if the name was changed people will still find it.
Agree with that too, when looking for stuff google often points me back here :)

That's how I found NR too. To be honest I like a less busy forum but i agree it's gone too quite. In the days when it was very busy i didnt read all the threads i just picked out thread titles that looked interesting to me. Sometimes there was too many threads posted. I find that also with some of the busy Facebook pages I'm on. If there too busy I select titles. I'm a slow reader and typist. If I read everything I'd never do any work.
Maybe name title is something to consider but I think as someone else suggested recently we have to look at how people are finding the site. Search engines are probably key.
Just out of curiousity is it just Mike that's doing the admin and all the work behind the scenes. Does anyone know.

Last edited:
That's a good point actually, I posted in a public bit for folks to do reviews of things they brought, thinking it might help up the site foot traffic by having current info on items you might look up, but do google searches search the text or just titales? @Mike do you know?

That's a good point actually, I posted in a public bit for folks to do reviews of things they brought, thinking it might help up the site foot traffic by having current info on items you might look up, but do google searches search the text or just titales? @Mike do you know?

The full text is searched as well as the titles.

Changing names is not an easy step. A long standing name like newrider has a lot of history and authority with the search engines and with a name change you'd effectively be starting again. I think for all those who find us via search engines it doesn't really matter what the name but ideally the name should say what the site is about. Maybe newrider isn't quite right now. It was when the site first started as it was really about assisting the novice rider.

It's a good topic though as attracting more members would be a good thing.

Maybe the motto or tagline or what not could be- something blah blah?

Thanks for replying as I said I am bored and the brain cells twitch.

I think they lurk. Only 13 posts on this thread. But 237 viewings. I know some are robots and some are people looking in from thread post watching but if people dont post there wont be a forum.

newrider.com
Back