Does The Trim Really Matter?

Wasn't me who said trimmers never use nippers!

I think Jamie is trying to stir things up.

Well all I can say us my farrier is fab ... Barefoot horses in reasonable work. Farrier turns up, asks me questions about what we've been up to while chatting and trimming. Tells me if there is anything to worry about, tells me if my horse is too fat/thin from a feet/whole horse point of view. Trims feet and they look good! And one if those is a pony 4 yrs ago I was told by a trimmer would never go barefoot without more boots then I own for myself!

Yann, I think people who know a bit about hoofcare (most of us here on NR seem to!) wouldn't chose a dud trimmer, but the problem with 'credentials' is that a lot of people have no idea what to look for and a track record (unless seen with own eyes) is hard to check as well ... but then I guess the same goes for farriers. ah, its a minefield out there, when did it get so complicated. when I was 'young' we had the one farrier in the area who did everything and most ponies just had grass trims and everyone seemed ok.

Nope, sorry, have no clue as to what any of those comments mean. Ho hum.

I think people who know a bit about hoofcare (most of us here on NR seem to!) wouldn't chose a dud trimmer, but the problem with 'credentials' is that a lot of people have no idea what to look for and a track record (unless seen with own eyes) is hard to check as well ... but then I guess the same goes for farriers.

Google and the FRC bulletin may be our friends here. A quick Google of a name soon comes up with happy and unhappy customers. The FRC bulletin will have records of disciplinary hearings, suspensions of farriers and prosecution of trimmers for carrying out acts of illegal farriery. (which is getting scary)

Well all I can say us my farrier is fab ... Barefoot horses in reasonable work. Farrier turns up, asks me questions about what we've been up to while chatting and trimming. Tells me if there is anything to worry about, tells me if my horse is too fat/thin from a feet/whole horse point of view. Trims feet and they look good!

sounds like my trimmer :) I would have been happy to use the farrier if my pony was comfortable, decided as she was unshod when I got her it was worth trying a trimmer before having her shod - that and the farrier upon hearing I'd bought her saying 'We'll get shoes on her somehow' he know pony before hand and was not easy to shoe.

when I was 'young' we had the one farrier in the area who did everything and most ponies just had grass trims and everyone seemed ok.

Yep same here. I think on the one hand change and alternatives are good, the problem is when you get people who feel you are doing wrong by not "discovering" these new things. As in your a bad owner. Or on the other hand those who don't try something mock those who do.
If anyone chooses this barefoot trim it is probably because they already had a problem with a farrier-it was in my case-but it didn't solve the problem.

As example I came across a rider today, there is a section on my hack that my cob can't cope with, its maybe 25 yards. So to help her out I lead over it, no problems. The lady has now shod her horse just to ride over this-its 25 yards! Now that's when I think she could have been educated in an alternative, but neither of us is right or wrong. We both feel we are doing our best for our horses, she thinks I am mad getting off and I think she is mad for not getting off. :giggle:

How very rude? Or was it something funny that went right over my head?:unsure:

I believe it is some sort of dig at the farrier registration act set up in 1975.

July 2013.
The Farrier’s Registration Council are seeking to amend the Farriers’ Registration Act 1975 and resolve, among other things, the issue of regulation of barefoot trimmers. In response to this, most of the main groups offering training and/or regulation of UK equine barefoot trimmers have come together to issue a consensus position statement on the future of regulation of barefoot trimming.
The signatory organisations have been aware for some time that the issue of regulation would come up sooner or later and there has been an ongoing effort to work towards appropriate regulation of trimming in the UK. The development in record time of a National Occupational Standard was one outcome of this work and this alone has demonstrated the commitment of the professional trimming community to self-regulation. However, such regulation will not work without government backing and until now the door of government has not been sufficiently open for a solution to regulation to be achieved.

Following the recent political developments, we present this position statement as a way for the trimming community to directly influence policy development in government.* It will help to guide that policy development in a direction that is beneficial to both professional barefoot trimmers and their clients.

I'm getting rather fed up with the digs. it's a shame because they alter the tone of what is normally an uncomplicated forum to chat & exchange ideas & experiences on.

I believe it is some sort of dig at the farrier registration act set up in 1975.

Thanks Newforest, as always I was two steps behind everybody else!:biggrin:

Its interesting that its a professional doing the digging comments. Looking at a few other comments from this poster it appears to be a bit of a pattern.
Maybe forum life isn't for them because it wouldn't encourage me to book them.

Seems to me reading this forum that it's OK to continually ridicule and make disparaging comments so long as they're anti barefoot.

Well this thread took some reading.

In relation to the thread title my opinion for what its worth, Yes, no foot no horse - barefoot or not - they need to be balanced and kept healthy, all mine are now barefoot although one was shod until she was 17 or 18 when they came off and never went back on, we use a farrier, because we are happy with our farrier therefore can not see the point in paying double for the hell of it - if one had to have shoes we would have them fitted but they don't - our farrier has brought 2 through remedial trimming after lammi and both are sound and working, contrary to what most people think he didn't take one look and scream shoes on for support, he took a detailed look , liased with vets offered his advice and opinion worked out a remedial plan - this cost us nothing - he only charged for the remedial work itself at normal rates. Hes the first number on our speed dial!

I'm getting rather fed up with the digs. it's a shame because they alter the tone of what is normally an uncomplicated forum to chat & exchange ideas & experiences on.

and I couldn't agree more too!

"1975?" was not a 'dig' (if so who is it at?) just a genuine answer offered in response to the question posed by Potnoodle (which I read properly) "when did it get so complicated".

For those of us old enough to remember it, things changed significantly in the farriery world, how could they not? I can well remember taking the horses down to the local forge (which along with the pub was the centre of village life) to be shod, I can even remember my father asking the farriers advice on all sorts of matters relating to animals (not just horses and sometimes even humans too!) and very often the advice given was better (and certainly less expensive) than that from a vet. How often does that sort of thing happen now?

Obviously I have my own perspective but I'm certainly not here to cause anyone trouble. I don't understand why certain people are so sensitive/defensive, this is a public forum and as such you will get different opinions voiced.

Last edited:
newrider.com