Does this trim look okay? She is very foot sore.

Sorry, no useful advice about her feet, but after seeing the third photo down I wanted to show you my Raf. It was taken a couple of years ago when he was 4 and he's a lot less skinny now, but your girl just reminded me of this pic.

DSC00098.jpg

I don't know whether you're familiar with this site, it's UK based, but you might find some useful information on the forum.

http://www.arabianlines.com/

Your girl is absolutely gorgeous!

:( Maybe if she is in pain you should consider shoeing her?

I don't want to mask the problem. I want to fix the problem.

She has been getting better which is why I haven't gotten the vet back out. I had assumed it was just a bad trim and it was growing out. If she was sore in the paddock I would feel more urgency but she's not. She is only sore on hard surfaces at the moment.

I will consider a grazing muzzle with an enlarged hole and rang and spoke to my herbalist today who has recommended a few things that might help on a long term basis. I am also going to give her more low intensity exercise such as walk trail rides.

Bodshi: Your horse is stunning!!!

Last edited:
All she gets in grass. And a few carrots when I am training as I do clicker training. I cut them into tiny pieces so she doesn't get more than 2-3 carrots a day.

When she was in the yard putting on weight, and was also a lot more tender, she has as much grass hay as she could eat. 3-4 biscuits of lucerne hay and a hard feed of oaten chaff and equi-jewel. The hard feed was about 3kg chaff and 1.5kg pellets.

She has been out in the paddock for about a month. So one month since she was getting the hard feeds. Putting her out in the paddock was when she started getting better. I thought it was because she could move around again but perhaps it was because she wasn't getting stuffed full of food?

Equi jewel is made from: Stabilised rice bran, calcium carbonate, vitamin E, selenium

This is the website: http://www.ker.com/products/feeds/equijewel/

She will be 6yo in December. She is a purebred Arab.

This photo was taken yesterday. Sorry it's not the best shot but it's the most recent one I have and you can roughly see her condition.

560723_10151110457142901_269958181_n.jpg

These were taken about six weeks ago. She was a lot sorer back then than she is now:
558178_10151045499587901_731481336_n.jpg

304667_10151045499547901_579315901_n.jpg

A few months ago she got very skinny because of the stress of moving to a new agistment spot and then getting what the vet thought was probably a stomach ulcer. This seems to be where all the trouble started as she also got a very sore back and started getting reluctant to move forward. But she was very skinny then.

Sorry, no useful advice about her feet, but after seeing the third photo down I wanted to show you my Raf. It was taken a couple of years ago when he was 4 and he's a lot less skinny now, but your girl just reminded me of this pic.

DSC00098.jpg

I don't know whether you're familiar with this site, it's UK based, but you might find some useful information on the forum.

http://www.arabianlines.com/

Your girl is absolutely gorgeous!

such gorgeous horses :inlove::inlove::inlove:

Well I discovered it's not her feet causing the problem. But unfortunately it's not a good prognosis. :frown:

The vet says she has 'Lesions' in her rump and neck and that with pain meds and rehab she might be able to do trail riding. Might be.

^ Sorry to hear this WV - what does the vet mean by lesions though? As in lumps? And why would that cause swelling in the legs after a trim, or was that just cooincidence?

All very good questions. I don't know yet. I feel like the scan is just asking more questions rather than answering them.

I assumed she meant scar tissue but I have sent her an email with a bunch of questions and hope she replies soon.

As far as the legs swelling up I have no idea. And neither does the vet... Although it hasn't happened again.

newrider.com