Don't think I'm cut out to be a rider :-(

Oh my goodness. No wonder you are feeling low, I would be too! You need an instructor to be encouraging and a good teacher. Please don't give up. I am a total beginner and am finding it difficult but I am determined to carry on and get through the 'basic riding skills' stage. Find another instructor or farm and whatever you do, enjoy what you do know and enjoy your future lessons. You sound very capable to me xxxx :wink:

I sometimes suffer with nerves, and i go home and tell my husband that i would be better off spending the £250 a month which my share horse and lessons cost me and spending it on clothes/holidays etc. He always tells me that nothing makes me more animated than riding and that my life would be very empty without it.

I get such highs and lows from horses. The highs after a good ride/lesson last for days and bring me up and up and up. The lows are very low and make me feel almost depresssed. What i do know is that material things wouldn't bring these ranges of emotion and my life would be boring without them.

I'm glad that you have found somewhere nice to ride, I hope that it continues to go well.

Hi everyone, just a quick update. I went out on a hack yesterday at the new place and we had a good long trot even going round bends. Going to have a canter next week and I'm proud to say I'm looking forward to it :smile: Things happen for a reason don't they. So funny though as I'm friends with some of the girls from the old previous school. One of them said about the horse I used to ride bucking and rearing when she rode him. When I commented on this she said "oh he won't do it to you, it's only because I rode him in the paddock and you don't ride him in the paddock...he could see the horses in the next field..." My reply "I rode him in the paddock last time I came..." Ooops! xxx

Definetly! Well done you. And as for the horse bucking and rearing this just proves it was a bad place to learn. No riding school should give any horse that has a history of this to a beginner! At my stables the owner Kim does trekking, she had a lovely mare who for 6 months didn't put a foot wrong. Then on a trek one day she started rearing when she culdn't get up front to lead the ride. The girl on her was experienced but Kim gave her her horse and walked 6 miles home with the horse. She didn't know at the time if she had something wrong with her. The horse was a bit naughty the week after and Kim decided she wasn't suitable for trekkig and she has been sold to a lovely home wth experienced people. In my opinion, if you are providing these kind of services you have to have faith in your horses and have tested them out in all manner of situations. I don't believe any horse is bombproof but its just bad practice, and dangerous to put customers and a beginner at that on such a horse. I think you are well shut of them to be honest, and you must be a much better rider than you give yourself credit for...go figure!! Keep updating us, its lovely to hear about your progress xx

Just found this thread, OMG what an awful RS and even worse Instructors !

Glad you have got your enthusiasm back and sounds like you have now found a lovely place to ENJOY your Hobby.

Onwards and upwards:wink:

Had a great ride today, managed a little canter through the woods. So happy:cloud9: Couldn't wait to get on here and tell you all, if it wasn't for your support I would have packed in by now. Slowly accepting that I'm not such a bad rider...:happy: Looking forward to next week, we're having a longer canter so I must have done something right! xxx

p.s. the horse I was riding did a tiny little spook as a squirrel jumped out of a tree. The lady who takes me out kept apologising and I didn't even know what she was saying sorry for, lol! I told her if that's the worst that the horse ever doese I'll be ecstatic! I told her that it really was nothing (which it wasn't) but so happy to have found such a kind caring person to ride with. At least after the last place I'm prepared for anything ;-) xxx

Last edited:
So happy for you ... really i am, you sounded so dejected to begin with, and now you are sitting spooks and cantering round the woods ... fantastic, so good to see you`re enjoying it, just as you should be :happy:

newrider.com