End of an era, Fákur it was a privilege

Wally123

Nov 1, 2015
It's been a tough day. I knew, come early summer that Fákur was not going to put on enough weight to do another winter, He's been on outrageous summer grass all summer, but lost condition in spite of his having the teeth of a horse ten years younger according to the dentist. SO I knew I had to make the last decision for him before winter.

This morning was the day. Bright sunshine, My neighbour available with the JCB and the vet ten minutes away.

So dear old Fákur, go to your rest knowing you were so much loved, trusted and appreciated by everyone who met you, My husband rode him right up until he was 30, then we took the decision to retire him has he'd had a couple of bad trips and nearly fallen. So his record still stands, in the 25 years I've owned him, only one person fell off him, and that was rider error.

He's going to be missed by his little herd too
Fakur-and-foals-004-small.jpgHetja Fakur 016.JPGfakur3.jpgFakur tor tom (2).jpg

Oh I'm so, so sorry to hear this. He was one of the lucky ones - going over the bridge loved and cherished. RIP Fakur.

A hard day for you and his friends, but a great kindness for him. Sleep tight Fákur, you'll be missed xx

I’m so sorry, it’s always so hard even when it’s absolutely the right decision, especially after such a long time together xx

Extraordinary behaviour from the rest of the mob tonight.

When hubby got home he went down to where Fákur is burried with a dram.. Normally our activities in the park are ignored. But for some reason Dave, Tom, Tór and Juanita quietly followed us down the park and just stood next to us, just stood. Tom is not a cuddly pony, but tonight he was cuddling up. Even aloof Dave was hunkering in.

• Love
Reactions: MrC and Jessey
Extraordinary behaviour from the rest of the mob tonight.

When hubby got home he went down to where Fákur is burried with a dram.. Normally our activities in the park are ignored. But for some reason Dave, Tom, Tór and Juanita quietly followed us down the park and just stood next to us, just stood. Tom is not a cuddly pony, but tonight he was cuddling up. Even aloof Dave was hunkering in.
when Molly was pts and had to stay on the yard overnight, waiting for burial, our 4 donkeys guarded her and all the horses and donkeys went up the field to her grave.

• Wow
Reactions: Wally123
You can take some comfort in Fákur having such a good, long life with you, and a fitting end at the right time. Doesn’t make it any better or easier though! I know you are not keen on proper hugs, but I am sending you virtual ones.

The ponies stood guard all night close to Harvey after he was pts. They also sometimes stand quietly by his grave, Fraser in particular. Given the opportunity, horses and ponies appear to show quite sophisticated emotions.

Tom is not a cuddly pony, but yesterday he was most out of character. Even Dave came up just to stand with us.

newrider.com