Fab Day at YHL

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Shopped til I dropped and then spent most of the afternoon on my backside in the small arena, watching demo's....
Richard Maxwell, then XC course jumping tips and then Hairy Hopefuls Dressage....a perfect afternoon for Janey....well, a lovely day overall.

@newforest I saw this and thought of you....second-hand old books!!!

20171111_124838-800x450.jpg

And a couple of close-ups for you to peruse....

20171111_124849-800x450.jpg

20171111_124937-800x450.jpg

Shopped til I dropped and then spent most of the afternoon on my backside in the small arena, watching demo's....
Richard Maxwell, then XC course jumping tips and then Hairy Hopefuls Dressage....a perfect afternoon for Janey....well, a lovely day overall.

@newforest I saw this and thought of you....second-hand old books!!!

View attachment 89895

And a couple of close-ups for you to peruse....

View attachment 89896

View attachment 89897
Gosh that would see me skint and loaded with books. Horsemanship 1937 I spotted. Wonder if that's by the Captain whose book I am still reading.
Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Trewsers and domane
So what did you buy then? :p
Well I've heard of 3 people this year who have suffered snapped stirrup leathers and although I only bought my English leathers in Feb and check them regularly, now that I do a bit of jumping, I'm a lot more conscious of the weight and stress that I'm putting through them. So I bought some nylon core, soft leather ones from Libbys.

Also, now that Gracie is bare-legged, I feel that I want to protect her legs when jumping....just in case she has an oopsie and catches herself, so I've bought some overreach boots and was on the lookout for either a pair of tendon boots, or even just some simple brushers. Having done a little research, HHO informed me that Woofwear is pretty much the only manufacturer that deviates from the standard pony, cob and horse or S,M, L and XL sizes. The make a MXW, specifically for cobs with big cannon bones. Even naked Gracie has nearly 10" of bone at the front and nearly 11" on her hinds, with only a 6" cannon between fetlock and knee, so armed with a tape measure I was on a mission!! However, when I spotted a pair of the Woofwears on the Treehouse stand, at the same price I'd pay online (and no postage costs!), I decided to play safe and go for those. I didn't measure them because I felt sure they'd be fine. Big mistake....they are still way too small! And of course I paid cash and no receipt so I'll have to try and sell them and take a hit on what I paid. Oh well. I'm going XC training again on Thursday so I'm off to my local tack shop this morning to see if I can find something else.

I also bought her a new martingale...we have been using a pony-sized black one and her tack is brown!

A new pair of Loveson jods which look and feel just like my Mark Todd Gisburns but only cost £15.

And a pair of Muck Boot chaps. I didn't even know that they made chaps! These are soft neoprene and will be fab in the summer when its hot. They were only a tenner.

Reactions: Jessey
If you bought off the tree house stand I would ask them to change them to the size you need. I bought woof wear for my share mail order as specified by her owner and when tried on she needed larger, and they were exchanged.

Have measured the XW Woofs for size against the ones I bought and there's not a lot of difference in the width, they're just longer. Unfortunately, despite spending a good 45 mins measuring and comparing different brands at my tack shop, the ones that might have a chance of going round her leg are all far too long. Damn!

Well I've heard of 3 people this year who have suffered snapped stirrup leathers and although I only bought my English leathers in Feb and check them regularly, now that I do a bit of jumping, I'm a lot more conscious of the weight and stress that I'm putting through them. So I bought some nylon core, soft leather ones from Libbys.

Also, now that Gracie is bare-legged, I feel that I want to protect her legs when jumping....just in case she has an oopsie and catches herself, so I've bought some overreach boots and was on the lookout for either a pair of tendon boots, or even just some simple brushers. Having done a little research, HHO informed me that Woofwear is pretty much the only manufacturer that deviates from the standard pony, cob and horse or S,M, L and XL sizes. The make a MXW, specifically for cobs with big cannon bones. Even naked Gracie has nearly 10" of bone at the front and nearly 11" on her hinds, with only a 6" cannon between fetlock and knee, so armed with a tape measure I was on a mission!! However, when I spotted a pair of the Woofwears on the Treehouse stand, at the same price I'd pay online (and no postage costs!), I decided to play safe and go for those. I didn't measure them because I felt sure they'd be fine. Big mistake....they are still way too small! And of course I paid cash and no receipt so I'll have to try and sell them and take a hit on what I paid. Oh well. I'm going XC training again on Thursday so I'm off to my local tack shop this morning to see if I can find something else.

I also bought her a new martingale...we have been using a pony-sized black one and her tack is brown!

A new pair of Loveson jods which look and feel just like my Mark Todd Gisburns but only cost £15.

And a pair of Muck Boot chaps. I didn't even know that they made chaps! These are soft neoprene and will be fab in the summer when its hot. They were only a tenner.
What a pain they don't fit, good haul on everything else though :)

Oooh...oooh! Looks like I may have found some brushers in The Big Horse Shop!!!

newrider.com