First Funride for a year

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Billy's 2nd ever outing and funride, and chunkys first funride in 3 years.
This will be long.
What a few days I've had. Well Friday morning after all that rain overnight, getting to the boys and finding them shaking with the cold. Then being stood in under cover most of the day. Yesterday I went mad and washed chunky, left him to stand and dry whilst I took Billy out for a hack. I also wanted to try a Pelham on Billy that I'd been loaned in an attempt to have some brakes for the Funride. Well that was a disaster. I only went for a short hack making sure I had a canter in a field where I know he gets strong. He was head tossing and chopping on the bit most of the hack and clearly very unhappy. So I decided that was out for the Funride so changed back to the hanging cheek. Got back from the hack then full clipped chunky. I had asked one of the girls if she wanted to take chunky although we had no idea what he would be like being an old man. I also said that if I was going to take him I would clip him as I always found on funrides that he sweated to much and that tired him quicker. Funrides were always best with a complete clip.
I was really looking forward to going on the ride as ive done it before and would have gone even if the girls didn't want to go on chunky. But with all the rain this last week and with Billie's inexperienced silly jumping antics in the last few weeks and me coming off it knocked my confidence. I was almost not going to go. I had visions of funride disaster. I kept waking up all last night checking my rain app and listening for rain outside. Woke up to it being wet and soggy and my heart sank. Then a glimmer of sun started to come through. So I text chunkys rider and said are you still up for a Funride. Busied myself loading the car, get the dividers back in the trailer. Just as I went to get the boys in at 11 the heavens opened and it poured heavily. My heart sank again. Almost felt like not going as I know it can be very slippy and dangerous and with a barefoot you don't have grip in the wet. But forecast said it would clear.
Anyway Billy was a little hesitant on loading but in fairness I forgot to open the front door, so I think he couldn't see a way out, but after a couple of minutes he walked on. Chunky bless him who I thought after 3 years of not going out and got in a habit previously of not wanting to load, well he just walked on.
Chunky I really thought would struggle, hes not that fit and I was dreading him collapsing going round. I was worried how his back would cope. So I did Bute him last night and this morning. Anyway how wrong can one be. 22 years and he spent the first 3 miles giving his rider arm ache he was also head tossing but that's because we couldn't go cantering off and get it out his system as there were other people around. Once past them though he had a good blast and he settled. I had told her how he used to be on funrides but he's so chilled at home that I don't think she quite believed me until she found herself sitting on a forward going bouncing pulling horse. I told her i was happy for her to attempt some low logs if she wanted but if he refused it then we wouldn't jump him and she would just canter. But he was brill and did all the logs that he was asked. She didn't attempt anything over about 18 inches and only did logs. Considering he hasn't done any jumping in 3 years, maybe a couple of logs, it was amazing to see him enjoying himself. His ears were up right to the end. Will have to see tomorrow if his back swells up. But I'll just light lunge and Bute tomorrow to stop him getting stiff. I am so amazed that I cried. I honestly didn't know he still had it in him. I know I can never ride him round one again but to see the sparkle in him was fantastic. I have tears just writing this. He is one special boy.
Billy was amazing as well, and whilst chunky was being excitable for the first 3 miles, Billy actually surprised me having a sensible head on. He got a little strong but settled quickly. Usually at home he zooms off but he actually was chilled. Very quickly I had him on a very loose rein. The first jumps he jumped catleaping like he'd been doing the last few weeks at home and as they got a little bigger it got a little worse. But then he settled into his stride and started travelling over them more forward rather than up. I did smaller jumps rather than the higher ones. Especially once he got into his stride as I figured it was better to have smooth and small. Rather than making them too big and him loosing his technic. I did do one large log which I'm told is 3ft but on approach I almost bottled it. I umd and arrd a little too late. Anyway we made it over not pretty though such that I almost went out the side door but managed to regain. It was a photo fence as well so I've no idea what it's going to look like. I've got some confidence back today with the jumping.
All in all a lovely horsey weekend.

There's one next weekend about 15-20 minutes away. Probably the nearest one around me. Have done it before, it's nice but can be wet. I think it would be a bit soon for chunky to do another. Although his back doesn't look swollen today so I'm pleased. Going to light lunge shortly.
Also my trailer driver did give me looks when i mentioned it yesterday so we shall see. I really want to do some more though.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
Sounds wonderful, horses never fail to act totally differently to our expectations!! How was Chunky? Any post-ride problems after your concerns?

Interesting that you were worried about bare feet slipping. I've always had the opposite problem, my shod horses have always slipped more than the shoeless ones.

newrider.com