First Ride out

Grace walker

Apr 13, 2017
I am possibly going to do my first ride out(Dumfries) with my big sister. Do you need to be experienced to do this! I am novice but am confident on horse riding

I’d say so yes. The amount of loose horses I’ve had to chase down and bring back takes more hand my fingers and toes ;)

Even the most sane horse can have a melt down. My boys first few were a bit hairy and I’m a rider of 30+ years and he was a sensible ride

Reactions: Hoof_hearted
If You can, walk trot and canter then in theory you'd be able to do it, however I'd say it really depends on your horse. Even the most easy going horses can get excitable during the rideouts and if you go through areas where everyone's galloping you might struggle holding your horse back.
My mare is a completely different horse in the ride outs and turns in to a jogging on the spot nutcase. (We're hoping to take part too this year)
If I were you I'd get as much riding clocked up before they start, stick a red ribbon on your horses tail and stick to the back maybe have a leadrope handy as Well.

newrider.com