Flaxseed (linseed) and DAPPLES!

KarinUS

May 20, 2001
Texas
users.wireweb.net
We don't have much grass so we feed hay year round. Because of that and because my TB is kind of a hard keeper I like to feed stabilized flaxseed. It has a lot of Omega 3 in it (trying to make up for what we miss out on by feeding only hay)

My bay TB and my buckskin mare dapple up like crazy on flaxseed. My chestnut QH mare just gets a nicer coat but of course no dapples. Her hair is so thin and skin so sensitive, she's often almost bald on the legs and flies eat her up with out her fly boots. But on flax the hair on her legs grows in a little thicker protecting her a bit more.

Anyway. I knew the flax increased dapples and that it also increases vascularization (like in a thermosensitive picture you can see the dapples!) but I figured it was just horses.

Minnie's little goats have been getting flax as well and look at this! The goats are starting to dapple!!! How crazy is that?
goatdapples.jpg

Wow, now that's something I've never heard of before and I'll certainly be trying to learn a bit more on it when I get a spare hour. Thanks for posting and I love the pic!

Wow! Ziggy's dapples are fading with age - would the flaxseed put them back, do you think?

Oh - but isn't it very very nutritious (calorific :banghead:)?

Jane and Ziggy, I guess it might be different if ziggy is out 24/7, but for mine, the extra calories it adds, I just reduce the hay a little - I think the nutritional support it provides outweighs the negativity of the calories. Its also not *that* high in calories, and its not sugar based - its actually pretty good for skin, feet, digestion and as a general anti inflammatory

newrider.com