Flower identification please

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
image.jpeg Despite it blowing a hooley here, I couldn't help taking a pic just now of this. I feel I ought to know what it is, shame my mum doesn't have internet as I think she would know what it is. Is it a weed ? I can't help thinking despite it's gorgeous colour it looks a bit evil:p:oops:
Apologies if I have asked this last summer, but Mr T doesn't recall seeing it either. It is in the back garden but he has trimmed back a little so it may well have been there just hidden.

Is the purple flower a different plant to the little white ones? I assume it is. I associate that patterning with tiger something or anothers????? sorry bloody useless :p

ETA: An iris?

Reactions: Trewsers
Is the purple flower a different plant to the little white ones? I assume it is. I associate that patterning with tiger something or anothers????? sorry bloody useless :p

ETA: An iris?

It is mingled into the clump but it is actually separate. The garden is a bit wild lol

Oh you're asking about the iris! Sorry! I think that's probably a purple flag, the less common of the wild irises. I thought you were asking about the angelica :oops:

Oh you're asking about the iris! Sorry! I think that's probably a purple flag, the less common of the wild irises. I thought you were asking about the angelica :oops:

Lol yes the iris - but I honestly wasn't sure what it was. So it is wild. It's quite pretty really. And it is good to know what the other stuf is. Reminds me of pignuts.

There are a couple of native Iris in the uk but that one looks like one your previous owners may have planted.
The yellow ‘flag’ iris is native and grows in marshy ground and iris foetidissima is another native, neither look like that one.
You probably need @Jane&Ziggy to ident it correctly as there are literally hundreds of species.

Apparently purple flag iris are native to the Hebrides, I still think it’s one that your predecessors planted though, the veining seems too fancy.
Whatever it is it’s very pretty.

Apparently purple flag iris are native to the Hebrides, I still think it’s one that your predecessors planted though, the veining seems too fancy.
Whatever it is it’s very pretty.

It could be the lady that lived here previously. She left a wonderful raised bed veg garden that has just got a bit over grown - we're working on that for the autumn.

There were some similar angelica looking plants that have popped up in one of our rockeries - well I pulled one and it has smelly roots! They look a bit like gnarled carrots?! Most odd. Almost smell a bit like parsnips.

There were some similar angelica looking plants that have popped up in one of our rockeries - well I pulled one and it has smelly roots! They look a bit like gnarled carrots?! Most odd. Almost smell a bit like parsnips.
One of the experts will enlighten us I’m sure but when I was searching for my plant I discovered that a lot (maybe all?) the umbelifiers belong to the parsnip family and I’m sure people (foragers) must eat them because that’s when I happened across the tales of unfortunate folk who’d eaten Hemlock by mistake and died :eek:

Could well be wild carrot, as @Bodshi says the umbellifers are a huge genus.

One of the experts will enlighten us I’m sure but when I was searching for my plant I discovered that a lot (maybe all?) the umbelifiers belong to the parsnip family and I’m sure people (foragers) must eat them because that’s when I happened across the tales of unfortunate folk who’d eaten Hemlock by mistake and died :eek:

Crikey! I'd best not try them then, just in case:eek::p

newrider.com