From fat to fit ( A plus size riders diary)

If you feel like a nibble it might be worth drinking instead? Not alcoholic. Even just a bottle or glass of water. I buy ginger or lime to mix up a weak drink at home too.I was taught by one of my oldest friends to go into a pub and order a pint of lime and soda. Which is what he does when out walking.
If one cuts down on food and calories one may often be slightly dehydrated and mistake thirst for hunger. My doctor daughter even suggested that the reason I feel s well in summer was that I drink more.

Thank you lot for all your support this last 6 months. it means a lot to me :)

Right back on the weight loss wagon after I fell off :(
I have gained weight yet again with my partners recent health scares I have not been watching what I eat so no surprise i have put on weight. Well to day i restarted my healthy eating and exercise regime. I am 268lbs ( 19st .2lbs ) and have 5+ stone to lose seems such a lot but I have decided I am going to break it down into smaller chunks so 1/2 a stone at a time :) my plan is to loss 2lbs per week to start with. Also rejoined my fitness pal :)

I am not at the minute going to the gym because I cannot rely on my partner being well enough to take me...so starting with walking myself back to fitness. I will walk 30 mins a day minimum 7 days a week, i will ride 3-4 times a week in walk for 20 mins..... increasing as my weight drops off. I will also resume the weight training video i found on U Tube to tone me up a little. And once I have lost a few stone I will be cycling.... think I am to heavy for the little bike wheels at present :(

SO TIME TO RESTART :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Trewsers
I wish you the will power because I slipped too last week. In your position of worry, which I do not envy, I would resolve not to forget your own health when worried about your OH. It is natural to eat for reassurance and comfort, and I have pointed out to my doctor daughter that sympathy in hospitals often comes accompanied by tea and cup cakes. Is there any way you can get proper support for your weight loss plan? Either from the hospital where your OH is or via your GP?
I dont think that my fitness pal is really enough, or rather it isnt for me.
Maisie would have eaten herself to death if she had been allowed to, and our genes are the same. The first step is for you yourself to plan and take the decision which you have done. But I feel you need someone there in support, who knows what they are doing and all the worries you have had to face.

Reactions: Native Lover
I wish you the will power because I slipped too last week. In your position of worry, which I do not envy, I would resolve not to forget your own health when worried about your OH. It is natural to eat for reassurance and comfort, and I have pointed out to my doctor daughter that sympathy in hospitals often comes accompanied by tea and cup cakes. Is there any way you can get proper support for your weight loss plan? Either from the hospital where your OH is or via your GP?
I dont think that my fitness pal is really enough, or rather it isnt for me.
Maisie would have eaten herself to death if she had been allowed to, and our genes are the same. The first step is for you yourself to plan and take the decision which you have done. But I feel you need someone there in support, who knows what they are doing and all the worries you have had to face.

I am going to see my GP to see if there is any help or support out there :) and I am also going to co op pharmacy monday morning as a friend has just told me they are doing a FREE 12 week weight loss programme.. it might help me with my motivation if they have a weigh in or something similar

You have made a brilliant start by posting on here and putting your pics on as it will be a great incentive for you to keep going knowing that we are all supporting you. The pictures will be a great boost for you to see the monthly changes. I am trying to loose 2 stone at the moment. I have slowly gained it over the last 4 years after stopping smoking. I used to find losing weight in the past so easy but I have really struggled this time. I have got myself a new fitbit to keep track of everything. I am walking as much as I can (usually between 15000 and 25000 steps a day) and also doing a hip and thigh excercise dvd at home 5 times a week. I have lost 4 lbs in two weeks. I have also cut out any snacking in between meals and the thing that has helped my food cravings the most is drinking 2 litres of water a day...
So keep at it, we are all behind you :D

You've gone through such a hard time and really your fitness will have been the last thing on your mind but lovely to hear you so motivated again. You've got this! Can't wait to see your progress. I too am trying to get myself fit and lose some weight - I think it might also help with my search for a horse because I'm wondering if my weight is putting people off xx

Go for it @Native Lover . You are being really brave and open about it and we're all here to cheer you on. I would say that although you've obviously got way too much padding your posture is good and you look strong and straight, so all that work in the gym earlier this year is really paying off. Well done for posting pictures.

When you get to within 2 stone of your goal shout out and I will join you - I need to lose between 1 and 1.5 stone and I just CAN'T GET STARTED so I really feel for you!

Jane - my advice is dont wait. I have regularly over my life time been able to lose 10 lbs and thenr kept it off for another 10 years.
People I know who have done more dramatic dieting including my daughter have put it back on much faster.

One of my doubts about NR and slimming is that losing a great deal of weight gets well deserved praise and congrats. Because it is a massive achievement.
But there isnt the same well deserved praise for just keeping one's weight level.

The fact that some people do manage to lose a great deal can be seen as a reason they put it on again, imagining that large amounts of extra weight can always be lost.
My GP stirred me to action when he complained I was 2 lb heavier than ideal.
I also noted here that I lost weight on the 5:2 diet like Wally, it piled back on quicker than when I had been to slimmming world or done proper diets like after my 2nd child was born.

My diet slipped completely this last week - I even had a drink - and I lost nothing so I am not looking for praise.

As for starting, a different way to think is that you eat less for one day and if you slip just one or two days in the next 7 that is not too significant. Slimmming groups weigh one only once a week. the 5:2 diet taught us to accept slow weight loss and to add up the calories over a whole 7 days. My first week of dieting, possibly I slipped 2 days but over the whole week lost some weight.

I intend to do the same this week tho I have stupidly planned pasta and pesto for supper.

I know that we're all different, but my experience of the 5:2 diet has been very different from Skibs. I'm a great fan of it. I thought that I could never manage the hunger from eating only the recommended 500 calories a day, so discounted it. My friend lost 3 stone on it in 3 months though, and kept it off, so encouraged by her, I thought I'd give it a try. I tried doing 500 calories a day and failed miserably on the second day, because I was ravenous and succumbed to yummy chocolate cake when I couldn't bear it any longer ha ha!

I decided to allow myself 800 calories and see how I got on, as that seemed more doable, and cut down a bit more when I felt able to. The extra 300 calories made all the difference, and I was able to sustain it. I ate between about 650 and 800 on my "fasting" days, which I did 3 days a week. I found the first week was the hardest hunger wise, but by the second week it was easier, and didn't seem like a very big deal. I was amazed that I lost about 3 pounds a week on it. When I did Weight Watchers I lost 1/2 pound a week even though I cut down a lot, especially on the sugary stuff. It was a long slog to lose a stone that way, it took months. I did keep it off for a long time, though. Then years of comfort eating followed, and I put the stone back on, plus another one!

On the 4:3 diet, not only did I lose 6 times the weight per week, I also lost 5% body fat, I didn't lose so much fat on WW, I think it was 3%. I kept all the weight off for many months, but after having a very difficult year, I put on 10 pounds of the 20 odd that I had lost, through serious comfort eating again. Having braved the scales, I decided to gird my loins and start afresh yesterday. I looked and felt so much better after the weight loss, and I know that I can do it quickly and fairly easily this way. I had more energy while doing the diet, and saved quite a bit on food too, so the gains were great for just a little effort, and some (bearable) hunger. I didn't eat super healthily either, I did it by improving my diet somewhat, but one of my staple low calorie dinners was 3 fish fingers with oven chips! You do tend to get a few withdrawal symptoms for the first few weeks as your body detoxes, but it wasn't too bad, just a bit of a headache, sore throat and fatigue. I found it easier to fast on days when I was busy, as it helped to take my mind off being hungry. The Kate Harrison books on the 5:2 diet are great, very clear and motivating, and the Michael Mosley Fast Diet book is also very good.

As you can probably tell, I'm a great proponent of the diet as it's been so effective for me, so just thought that I'd share my experience of it in case it might help others who have reservations about trying it, or tried and failed. For me, the key to success was adapting it to suit me, to make it as easy as possible, and sustainable. Sorry for the essay, but I wanted to explain in detail in case my experience might help others.

Last edited:
I've lost 2 stone and kept it off for many years just by incorporating exercise into my day.

If there's any way you can walk to the yard regularly then I would try and do that, I don't know how far your yard is however or if it would be practical for you to do this.

I am so impressed with your decision to post pictures of yourself. I don't think I'd dare, basically because I'm ashamed of my weight now. So much so I am not riding at all. Like Jane I just simply can't get started. It's piled on over the last 2-3 year when I was dealing with Mum's dementia, selling her house, putting her in a nursing home and all the while stuffing comfort food down like I was driven.

You've had so much to cope with I'm not surprised the weight has crept on. It is really weird that you can see it happening, understand the reasons and still can't stop. We humans are complex beings psychologically...

Every encouragement for your challenge. We are all supportive, especially those who are in a similar position, like me. I will join you when I get my head together. At 12st I've got a minimum of 2st to lose. I know there are horses that could easily carry me at that weight, but that's not the point. I feel fat and I wobble and I want to be properly riding fit as in the past.

Go you.

I am not dieting as such or following any plan other than eating healthy ( more fruit and veg), smaller portions and taking more exercise.... I use myfitnesspal to record what I have eaten and what exercise i have taken. I want this to be for the long term not a quick weigh loss faddy diet. I will eat but in moderation. I will have treats occasionally to keep me motivated. Its took me over 5 years to end up this size and I am not looking for a quick weight loss I would be happy with 1/2- 1lb per week thats up to 52 lbs in a year and the slower it comes off the more likely it will be to stay off.

At the moment I am limiting my exercise to waling 2/3 times a day for 30 mins a time.... but will build on that as the weight comes off. I have to change my life to a healthier one..... I used to walk into town loads only catching the bus when it was raining. Now I am driven into town or catch the bus :( I have to make a real effort not just to stay in but with my partner to get out more on the evening, even for a walk round the block or a walk to the supermarket anything but sit and watch TV.

I was a size 14/16 when I met my partner 10 years ago I know I am ten years older but I can and will do this for me. and my health. I am obese and it will long term begin if not already damage my health.

Recording it and the photos will help motivate me... and keep me going. You also have to remember I am on some medications that are weight gaining for my Bi polar and Epilepsy I dont want to add diabetes to the list.....

Thank you everybody for your comments. and advice :D it is appreciated.

newrider.com