Fungal infection

wonkeywoody

Jul 12, 2007
For UK peeps! What do you use to treat the above?
There is plenty available in the US etc, but could do with finding something that really zaps fungal on the head.

Ignore this, I'll be back...

There is a product called White Lightening for thrush of the hoof, if I'm thinking correctly. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have googled White Lightning. Cant seem to find it in this country?
Strange tho - on barefoot websites it says that fungal infection is different to thrush and if you use a treatment for thrush you wont kill a fungal infection and vice versa. Yet WL claims to kill thrush AND fungal infections?

Have googled White Lightning. Cant seem to find it in this country?
Strange tho - on barefoot websites it says that fungal infection is different to thrush and if you use a treatment for thrush you wont kill a fungal infection and vice versa. Yet WL claims to kill thrush AND fungal infections?

That is interesting...
I will have to have a bit of a research. I suppose that could be the case actually, because thrush may just be one strain of fungus, just as TB is a strain of bacteria... if that makes sense!:eek:

From the barefoothorse website.....

Difference between fungus and thrush: If you swipe a hoofpick deep into fungus-infected tissue, it will smell "cheesy" like a yeast (Candida) infection. The back half of the frog peels off in deep layers, and the frog never becomes a wide, healthy triangle. The diseased tissue is light gray to white in color, or black between the peeling layers; healthy frog is medium gray.

By comparison, thrush has a nasty, rotten smell, the tissue is black and slimy, and it tends to begin in the collateral grooves. Thrush is another wet-season problem. In wet areas, people use Kopertox daily in the grooves of their horses' feet but it is a nasty poison, both for us and the horses, and in the environment. "Thrush-buster," which contains Gentian Violet, is also effective and is not poisonous.

"White line disease" is probably a form of fungus. There will be an area where tapping on the hoof wall makes a hollow sound. However, I think most of what people are calling "white line disease" is, instead, a very stretched white line; stretched white line tissue does look strange. Among several hundred horses I have trimmed, I have yet to see a true case of "white line disease."

Fungus is not thrush and must be treated differently. Treating for thrush (Kopertox, Thrush Buster, etc.) will make the fungus worse, because the fungus feeds on the dead thrush cells.

I dont have the "cheesy" stuff/smell, but the frog is peeling off in deep layers and the frogs are sore in some areas.

Citricidal - this looks interesting. Can you buy it in chemists?
The hoof soap sounds good too.

I have been treating his feet for 4 weeks now with anti fungal and it just seems to be getting worse...:(

Isn't White Lightning really cheap cider?

Anyway... :eek:

I currently use a Milton solution on the recommendation of EP, but I'm going to look into some of the suggestions on this thread. :)

I
sn't White Lightning really cheap cider?
Really!!!??? Anyone??

I currently use a Milton solution on the recommendation of EP,

Tried that - no better. TBH I dont really know which it is. Its not classic symptoms of either! Need something that zaps ALL!!! Citricidal seems readily available and kills all so may go for that.

What about Keratex ?

Now I have visions of all these horse owners cleaning their horses feet going "one for you, and two for me" :D

That Pioneer soap looks interesting. I think I'm going to try some. Is it better to go for the liquid or the bar? Daffy has hoof wall infection and mild thrush. Normally I just scrub his feet as working on the soaking thing!

White Lightning is revoting, but not as bad as Special Red (aka Red Rectum :eek:)

On the topic of cider - I use cider vinegar to treat thrush, it works well but for a deep seated infection I like to alternate CV with Pioneer balm :)

ETA - I use the liquid soap, dry with some bog roll then put balm on.

newrider.com