Fungal infection

The liquid soap lathers up quite a bit, I scrub it into the infected bits with a stiff brush, don't rinse but dab with loo roll to dry the foot. The balm I buy is the stuff in a squeezy bottle with a narrow nozzle & I squirt it onto the infected bits. Works a treat! :)

I have been reading up on peroxide. This seems to kill bacteria and fungus and as its a liquid it will be easier to get into all the nooks. Got some in my cupboard so am going to try that.

Anyone know how quickly I should see an improvement and how often I should do it?

the only problem with peroxide is the fact it kills healthy tissue aswell.

i only use it once in a blue moon, when i think they could do with the crap cleaning out of them.

Anyone know how quickly I should see an improvement and how often I should do it?

No clue on the peroxide, but using Lysol will clear up an infection in 24-28 hours. If it's really deep it'll take a week or four to grow out, but also if it's growing out it's probably no longer infected.

I don't know what Lysol does to the healthy cells, just that it's the only thing I've found to work in this state.

I have in my box; thrushbuster, koppertox, apple and regular cider (had never thought to try peroxide) and a couple of local things - one smells like BBQ sauce.. but no love from this swamp hole. It was the barefoot trimmer here that suggested Lysol.

Good luck!

I don't know what Lysol does to the healthy cells, just that it's the only thing I've found to work in this state.

I've just googled Lysol and come up with household disinfectant and war time birth control!!!!

Diamond White was the worst cider ever or was that the hangovers it caused:eek: back on topic - i brought white lightning for the horses last year - cant remember where I got from thou - sorry. Can have a look at the bottle tomorrow if you want?

I've just googled Lysol and come up with household disinfectant and war time birth control!!!!
It's the former. :p I would never consider it a product to use on a horse except the trimmer recommended it.

It is antibacterial... and comes in a nice spray can. Gets in all the cracks and crevices.

Here's my friend's mare, been here exactly two weeks today - picture of the day she arrived and this morning. Friend says she's had this quarter crack since she bought her, more than 8 years. The first day I rounded the edges a bit then sprayed it with Lysol three days in a row. Just gave it another shot today as we've had three days of good wet weather. There is no coronet band damage so I assumed it was just a bacterial infection. You can see there's a noticeable change in the amount of reddened hoof wall, and it's growing out now. :D Hooves are amazing.

Attachments

• FirstBruiseInfection.jpg
    FirstBruiseInfection.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 09_8_22BruiseInfection.jpg
    09_8_22BruiseInfection.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thanks HH that would be good.

Out of interest, vinegar while it has antibacterial properties, doesnt kill fungus!

I would suggest that it depends on the vinegar, the fungus, the quantities/concentrations and the environment you use it in. You could probably kill yourself with it if you tried very hard.

I would suggest that it depends on the vinegar, the fungus, the quantities/concentrations and the environment you use it in.

...so which vinegar would you recommend and what quantities etc?

I've been using Lamisil and he seems better on hard ground.

It is antibacterial... and comes in a nice spray can. Gets in all the cracks and crevices.
....ah, but is it antifungal?

I am not completely sure what my horse has (bacterial or fungal) I was told fungal. But think I need something like the citricidal or the soap which kills the lot - then I'm covering everything.

I use peroxide this morning. I thought it 'fizzed' when it hit something horrible - it didnt fizz at all!?!?

Last edited:
I have been reading up on peroxide. This seems to kill bacteria and fungus and as its a liquid it will be easier to get into all the nooks. Got some in my cupboard so am going to try that.

The farrier told me to use it 3times a week for a month.

...so which vinegar would you recommend and what quantities etc?

Co-op cider vinegar squirted liberally at room temperature out of a yellow Homebase houseplant spray bottle onto a wet, freshly scrubbed hoof & worked in with a red plastic hoof brush works for me :cool:

Peroxide is effective at killing thrush because it reacts with water to liberate oxygen. Thrush bugs are anaerobes ie oxygen hating, which is why they love nooks & crevices, but hate peroxide. However peroxide is also necrotising and kills healthy cells as the hoof is trying to re-grow lost tissue, so it impedes healing and creates a good environment for re-infection by anaerobes (which are everywhere) once it's reacted. I have used it for serious thrush infections but the infection came back & the yucky raggedy frog bits took ages to regrow into something reasonable. For a really nasty infection I'd look at Cleantrax, which liberates oxygen but without being necrotising - clever stuff. I've never used it because I've not had to deal with anything serious since I started used CV - a few squirts a couple of times a week seems to keep the evil thrush at bay, even for my pooey mare :)

Am feeling a bit down now. I's sent pics off to a trimmer (4 weeks ago) who said he has a fungal infection.
After reading the barefoot website on the subject (as posted earlier) I was very careful to use an antifungal as oppose to antibacterial (re the bit about using wrong stuff in earlier post)
I sent more pics off today and have been recommended to use a thrush cure........ :(

Don't forget that the fungi are ubiquitous so although you can knock them out, you need to make the environment (i.e. hoof) as adverse for them as you can or they will quickly reinfect and you'll be back to square 1. I think the cider vinegar (which is an acid) works by creating an acidic environment. Horse pee contains ammonia so it's alkaline, the bugs that like growing in horse pee won't like vinegar so although it doesn't necessarily kill them, it will impair their growth so they don't get going enough to cause a problem because the horse's natural defences can keep them at bay. Also getting the feet trimmed to get rid of as much dead tissue & as many crevices as possible will help a lot. Sometimes these issues can be linked to issues elsewhere, e.g. diet/gut function, so feeding a probiotic like Pink Powder might help.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Currently using a dettol solution wash and manuka honey gel (which kills alsorts incl mrsa!) its also promotes healing/healthy tissue and has pain/inflammation properties.......

I do keep trimming off the raggy bits.

Will let you all know how it goes.......

newrider.com