Gelding

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I'm not versed in gelding a horse. Cows and sheep I know plenty about.
What im wondering is. Do they make an incision remove the testicle and leave incision open or do they close up the incision. How high or low do they make the cut on a horse.

They normally leave it open to drain, or have on the ones I've had done. They cut the bottom of the scrotum, popped them out and whipped them off, then left it.

I didnt pay attention. I have watched them do it and pop them in a bucket.
Commented about it being a delicacy somewhere.

As the testicles drop with sedation, once the emasculators are employed and the testicle removed, the lack of weight causes everything left inside to ping upwards. The incision into the skin, as Jessey has already said, is left open to allow the internal wound to drain out.

Thanks it's the same as on a cow then.
I'm just concerned about a lump that's on the sack. He's had it for many years and I put it down to the castration. I wondered if when he was done it got infected. The only problem is it's up quite high so I'm not sure it's from the incision. The head on the lump has become scaley recently. Also when I put my hand over it I get some rather alert face looks, tensing up and tail swishing. He's never normally reacted at all to my hand on it.
Wondering about a sarcoid now.

newrider.com