Gender less- a step too far ?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.in...der-neutral-unisex-children-a7925336.html?amp

Do we really need gender less when we already have a word for either. Unisex. That's means either can wear it.

I can't see how putting a dinosaur on the dress and the top, it suddenly appeals to girls and boys. If I liked dinosaurs my mum would just have bought the top ( not from JL I admit )
It was the wombles in my day and that appealed to children regardless.

I wear what I chose and I don't care if it's designed with men in mind. But I suppose I am more 'girly' the men's section doesn't tend to have dresses.

Our gender less horses are geldings, that means not a stallion or a mare. :D

Making too much of a point about it. Watched a programme recently about people bringing their child up as unisex. Personally I think it's ridiculous, you're either born a boy or a girl, it's no wonder more kids are growing up unhappy and with emotional problems. Just buy whatever clothes your kids like, are practical and get on with it.

If in future your child displays signs they want to be opposite sex then they can decide when they're old enough. Let kids be kids, don't put thoughts in their heads.

Just to say I was always in my older brothers cast offs and was a little tom boy, there's nothing wrong with that I was simply an innocent child having fun with my brother.

I was a tomboy I guess that name originates because I preferred to climb trees, get filthy and code to play with toys designed for boys.

There is actually a baby without the gender on their birth certificate. Surely that child create issues later on.

Well I played cowboys and indians in home made costumes made by my lovely mum and never seemed to wear pretty girly dresses but it didn't affect or influence me and I am a very girly girl nowadays (can't squeeze into my fringed cowboy pants put too much weight on:p:D)
I think lots of things these days are totally over egged!!!!

Reactions: joellie
I was a tomboy I guess that name originates because I preferred to climb trees, get filthy and code to play with toys designed for boys.

There is actually a baby without the gender on their birth certificate. Surely that child create issues later on.

I would have thought it illegal to not state the babys sex???

Well I played cowboys and indians in home made costumes made by my lovely mum and never seemed to wear pretty girly dresses but it didn't affect or influence me and I am a very girly girl nowadays (can't squeeze into my fringed cowboy pants put too much weight on:p:D)
I think lots of things these days are totally over egged!!!!

Exactly, it's just kids having fun being kids. If all us tom boy kids had been asked/told if we wanted to be boys. I'm certain that would of effected our mental health and caused problems. Are we too aware of these things nowadays? Don't get me wrong I'm a very open accepting person, I really don't care what any does in their life as long as it's not hurting anyone else. I do think there are people who do feel they are in the wrong body and that's fine, I imagine it must be very hard but I don't agree with putting thoughts in kids heads and labelling them, they will work out what suits them in time then at point you support as much as you can.

Bloody ridiculous! When I was growing up I too had my big brothers hand me downs, mum used to make me pretty dresses that hardly ever got worn because I was too busy having fun playing in the muck and dirt with my brothers, I think things are getting really ridiculous these days, I'm not bothered if my clothes say men's or ladies, if I like it and it fits I'll wear it.
Do shops really think we are all idiots who won't put something on our children unless they say it's ok?
I saw the programme too @Lissie
It shocked me if I'm honest, said children as young as four believed they were in the wrong body? Seriously? Are kids these days any more aware of 'gender' than we were? It would never have occurred to me to even give a thought to it at that age, in fact I doubt I would have understood, like most things these days, people spend so much time glued to a lap top, tablet, phone instead of getting out in the real world and enjoying what life really has to offer!

They went through the courts.

How odd really, I think once that baby grows up it will be confused from the start! I don't know the full story but did they just want "it" to be genderless?? Or does he/she have a double set of gubbins? (Sorry if that sounds crude it isn't meant to). If there's nothing amiss with the baby then I think it's awful attention seeking.

How odd really, I think once that baby grows up it will be confused from the start! I don't know the full story but did they just want "it" to be genderless?? Or does he/she have a double set of gubbins? (Sorry if that sounds crude it isn't meant to). If there's nothing amiss with the baby then I think it's awful attention seeking.
The mum is neither male or female. That confuses me. I am open minded and if you swap to something else surely what you give birth to is still make it female.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-have-the-worlds-first-genderless-health-card

That is very weird. I have lived a sheltered life I think! Goodness. I think the mother who gave birth is a woman. With a moustasche? Now I am very confuzzled.

I don't understand the neutral part. I know who I am though. I just hope so I meant knows, live is complicated enough!

Reactions: Trewsers
Oh for goodness sake where will this stupid and pointless stuff end - a whole generation of seriously disturbed kids of both sexes I wouldn't mind betting. Since time begun there have been some unfortunate kids who really and truly were born feeling almost from day one that fate had given them the wrong gender body, or indeed born as true hermaphrodites. For that minority (and it IS a minority) I have huge compassion and feel they deserve every bit of understanding and help to get through childhood and emerge into adults who are either happy in the body their birth gave them, or every assistance to help them with gender realignment (or whatever the politically correct phrase for the process of re determining what their chosen sex is)

But why oh why does this store feel it necessary to make such a song and dance about the clothing they sell for children. I was also one of life's tomboys, youngest of four and the only girl - and a very poor family so most of my hand me downs where boy's clothing anyway - apart from school uniform. Personally I barely noticed the difference as half my life was spent doing the same as my brothers - riding ponys and mucking about in the dirt so just seemed natural to wear the same stuff they wore most of the time. I did grow up to love strutting my stuff in very girly clothing once I was late teens onwards, but still equally happy in boy's clothes for messing with the horses if they suited me better. I still am now - I have been know to pinch my son's jeans over the years when they had outgrown them! :D

I have a pair of male jodphurs, you wouldn't know. I just have to undo differently.
Maybe they intend to have the items all doing up on the same side?
Is society planning on losing the do up differently as well?

Reactions: Trewsers
it’s absolutely ridiculous and i wont be taking miniCA to shop for clothes in john lewis. Having some unisex clothes is important but so is a secure gender identity. He is a boy, he is happy that he is boy and he likes boys things.

The clothes thing is a red herring and points to to the gender divide between boys and girls. It starts when we are children ie "You run a like a girl. You cry like a little girl. Boys don't cry." Etc etc

We start somewhere and so it's children's clothes that has got the 'PC gone mad' brigade out. A comment above says 'boys things' - what are they exactly ?

Toys are a good starting point, why should there be boys and girls toys ? Why can't they just be toys ? Same for clothes, they don't need to be separated out. A girl can wear a t-shirt with a dinosaur on it and a boy should be able to wear a skirt if he chooses. What's the harm ?

I really hate 'girls' and 'boys' clothes divide and it's great what JL have done. My niece is a real 'tomboy' as we all call her and refuses to wear anything remotely 'girly' or pink. And why should she? Having kids clothes all in one place provides much more choice and ease of shopping for parents like me. There are no size differences in children under 10 so why not allow them to pick what they want to wear? Times are changing (hopefully) for the better. 40 years ago mothers didn't work and there were very few senior jobs of women. That has really changed now, so maybe in another 40 years little boys will be wearing skirts and little girls will be wearing Spider-Man outfits without anyone batting an eyelid.

Reactions: Ruskii
but isnt calling her a ‘tomboy’ just as bad ? ;)

'boys things’ - yes all the stereotypes, playing in the mud, diggers, dinosaurs. Of course girls can be into the same things but it’s the perception of the phrase that breeds inequality. Fundamentally boys and girls are, for the most part - different. There should however be no stigma associated with either or for either gender to play with something stereotypically associated as being a toy for the opposite sex. A unisex department , yes great but I do think the world is going mad. I find boys and girls ARE different shapes and little boys especially need different underwear to girls.

Reactions: Cortrasna
I bought ladies socks today. The choice was identical with ladies in pale colours offering birds, butterflies, stripes, and spots. For men dark colours different birds, different coloured stripes and spots. Though we had weird pattern in place of their ducks. I wanted the ducks!

I always thought children's clothes were all in the same place.
Then the adults are in another place. There is a divide with men and women's departments. But it doesn't mean I can't shop in both.

Do hospitals still do blue for a boy and pink for a girl? As a person I don't like pink as a colour anyway.

newrider.com