Getting a loan pony

annabellekavis

Aug 10, 2015
I am thinking of sharing this pony
He is 14.1hh black new forest pony 11 years old he is £100 per calendar month
My riding lessons if I have one every week are £23 each
So 3 of those is nearly £70 and I would not have riding lessons if I shared the pony
I get £10 pocket money per month but I still need another £20 per month or £240 per year to be able to afford the pony what shall I do I need help
And the £100pcm is all inclusive of everything[emoji1]
5a29c7753fdfc19d13bdea11b0b932e7.jpg

I think you would have to talk to your parents to see if they would be willing to pay this for you, if you are having a lesson every week at the moment they are already paying out 92 in a 4 week month and 115 in a 5 week month, so they may see this as being cost effective for them, though the extra commitment of doing the pony x times a day, x times a week may be more than they wish to commit to. How would it work if you went on holiday for example, would you have to pay someone else to do the pony on your days? that might be an extra hidden cost, or if you have to do the pony twice a day, 3 days a week that could cost your parents more in time and fuel.

Getting your first pony is so exciting, but if you put every penny you have into getting the pony you may miss other things, the normal things pocket money is spent of like magazines and sweets, but also the opportunity to go to a show with your pony, or to buy him a new sparkly head collar, a hundred pounds a month isn't the cheapest share I have ever heard of, though its not out of this world either, but if you shop around you may very well find something else more suited to your budget. My neighbor offers her pony to a lass who is 14, she pays nothing and can ride when ever my friend is there (every day) in exchange for doing stable duties :) so they are out there for less.

He's a lovely looking pony, but expensive, especially if you have to give up your lessons. What's the arrangement that they're offereing? How much riding, any work etc? Is there any chance that the owners would accept less, perhaps in exchange for mucking out, poo-picking or tack cleaning etc? Or are you old enough to earn the extra?

Last edited:
How exciting at the prospect of sharing a pony!
I agree with what others have already said. You will need to speak with your parents as to whether or not this is the better situation to go for. £100 per month does seem rather expensive to me - is this for unlimited riding? Use of a school and/or excellent hacking? I have previously shared horses; one costing me £15 per month which was purely to help with the cost of her front shoes, which was when I was 14 years old and was solely reliant on my Mum to drive me to and from the yard and the other was £60 per month, whereby I committed myself to riding/caring for the horse 3 days per week and more riding if I had the time, when I was 17 years old...

I think you also need to think if the commitment of sharing a pony, will outweigh the benefits of just having regular riding lessons, at this point in time?

Let us know how it goes, good luck! :)

This sounds expensive. How much are you expected to do. Also, with a share pony I would still want lessons as well.
I share and I ride 2/3 times a week and muck out on my days and I pay £40 a month.

I never had a pony when I was a child (except for one winter loan which was a disaster). I volunteered at the nearest riding centre. We worked for lessons. It was great - but the best part was being able to ride out on hacks and a lesson every day on different horses and ponies. I rode everything from a Shetland to a 16.2hh ex pro showjumper. I was desperate for my own pony. But looking back I think I was learning more that way than I would have been owning my own.

You need to make absolutely certain that you can afford him. Do you have a job? Both my eldest daughters work in the local shop and come home with £100 a week. What happens if he's ill? Would you be expected to contribute to that? Vets bills quite often run înto hundreds.

It is really exciting getting a pony but you need to think it all through it through first.

newrider.com