Getting vet out today

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
I have been having an ongoing battle with wee old man Rummy's itch..he has been scratching his mane on and off for months and I was keeping on top of it with MTG then he seemed to get very itchy and I thought it was his thick winter coat so I got him fully clipped, bathed and covered him in the MTG this seemed to work. I brought him in this morning and he has rubbed himself raw on his backside and mane. I can also now feel small scabs along his sides.
So I have rang the vet and asked them to come out and have a look. It deffo isn't lice as I treat them with spotinor for flies.
Can they get sweet itch at any age??

Poor lad. I thought sweetitch was usually present from an early age. However one summer Storm rubbed her tail and mane raw and the vet told me it could be sweet itch. Pleased to say it was a one off! I was told to use something with benzyl benzoate in it. I think vet gave me some lotion too. Hmm. Hope you can get something for him, must be horrid for them. Are your midges nasty this year??

Reactions: joellie
The midges were horrid but the funny thing is these past few days I thought they weren't too bad? Yes I thought at 34 years old he was a bit too old to get sweet itch for the first time?? It must be driving him mad, poor wee man, hopefully the vet can give something to help.

I wonder could it be lice though? My little Joseph donkey is very inclined to them unfortunately - especially from march onward. I have now done him 3 times at 2 week intervals with Butox cattle pour on and still he is itching with horrible bald patches and sores, he was the same last spring but eventually it did clear up. Strangely the other donkey and Dolly don't seem affected but obviously I do them at the same time as doing him just in case. I have also double dosed him with Ivermectin too.

I have the vet due out soon to take Dolly's bloods so I think I need to ask him to inject the poor little man with Dectomax a couple of weeks apart and see if we can help him with that. :(

I wonder could it be lice though? My little Joseph donkey is very inclined to them unfortunately - especially from march onward. I have now done him 3 times at 2 week intervals with Butox cattle pour on and still he is itching with horrible bald patches and sores, he was the same last spring but eventually it did clear up. Strangely the other donkey and Dolly don't seem affected but obviously I do them at the same time as doing him just in case. I have also double dosed him with Ivermectin too.

I have the vet due out soon to take Dolly's bloods so I think I need to ask him to inject the poor little man with Dectomax a couple of weeks apart and see if we can help him with that. :(

She came out and said he has a bacterial skin infection, she is not sure if it is caused by dry skin and him over itching it and then becoming infected which is making him itch more or lice or some sort of other parasite. She couldn't see lice but she still is going to cross all boxes as she doesn't want to give him steriods unless we have tried everything else. I also pointed out that Marley hasn't any signs of itching or lice but she said the same as you sometimes she has found that the older ones seem to get them and that others living with them don't always get them too.
I had to bath him with hibiscrub , then tomorrow I have to spray him with deosect and he is also on a 10 day course of antibiotics. She wants me to ring her on monday and let her know if he is showing any signs of improvement because if so she is thinking its probably a parasite as the antibiotics wouldn't have that great of an affect by then so it must be the deosect helping?
I also got Marleys bloods taken while she was out to check his ACTH levels.

Hopefully the wee man will start to feel a bit more comfy.

Poor little chap _ I hope he does feel better soon too - poor Bertie is now developing bald patches on his legs too so I think I need vet out sooner so will be ringing him in the morning. :(

Aw poor man - will he be okay being sprayed with deosect ? (Not trying to tell your vet they are wrong obviously, but I always think it's quite strong stuff?) I have it for Chloe but avoid the really sore looking bits on her legs. Maybe I am talking twaddle and it doesn't sting or anything? (Smelly stuff isn't it?). I so hope he's better soon. I hate midges and anything that bites!

Aw poor man - will he be okay being sprayed with deosect ? (Not trying to tell your vet they are wrong obviously, but I always think it's quite strong stuff?) I have it for Chloe but avoid the really sore looking bits on her legs. Maybe I am talking twaddle and it doesn't sting or anything? (Smelly stuff isn't it?). I so hope he's better soon. I hate midges and anything that bites!

Great minds think a like :p I said exactly the same thing too her, but she thinks seeing as that's what its made for it couldn't be too stingy!? That's why she then suggested that i wash him in hibiscrub, leave it on for 20 mins to an hour before rinsing off then tomorrow spray with the deosect. o_O

Reactions: Trewsers
Great minds think a like :p I said exactly the same thing too her, but she thinks seeing as that's what its made for it couldn't be too stingy!? That's why she then suggested that i wash him in hibiscrub, leave it on for 20 mins to an hour before rinsing off then tomorrow spray with the deosect. o_O

Glad you didn't think I was talking twaddle lol :)

It doesn't sting me when I've got it in cuts. Hopefully it does the trick it took Dan 3 doses and a good few weeks to stop itching but he was riddled.

That's good to know that it didn't sting your cuts, hopefully he will be fine. It just smells so strong you would imagine it would sting like hell.
I still am not sure about it being lice, even the vet couldn't see them, but she isn't ruling them out.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com