Giving UlcerGuard and Banamine

Lollykay

Feb 11, 2017
Southeast United States
I have been waiting on the vet to call with an appointment to examine Duncan anyway, but I now need to hear back sooner than later.

In the meantime:

Duncan did colic on Friday — little wonder and our fickle weather hasn‘t helped. I gave him Banamine ( flunixin meglumine) Friday and again Saturday AM. he was all happy and normal until this morning, 24 hours later.

I had one tube of GastroGuard which I gave the sweet fella because his previous owner did say he has dealt with ulcers. I say sweet because he let me walk up to him in the pasture, wrap my arm around his neck and dose him🥰

It took 90 minutes to kick in😡. Banamine paste takes 30 minutes tops.

My question: Can I give Duncan some Banamine later in this day or evening, if the GastroGard doesn’t seem to be helping? I hate drugs to begin with so mixing them is not in my resume🥴🥴

TIA👍😀👍😀

• Sad
Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
I have no idea, I'm sorry, but it's a shame that poor Duncan is having this trouble. I guess that although he is sweet and gentle it is still stressful for him travelling so far and having everything change.

I really hope someone knows what you need.

• Love
Reactions: Lollykay
I honestly don't know, but lots and lots of vibes for Duncan. I hope your vet rings you back. Banamine is like our Danilon (I think) I had a quick look. I didn't know about Gastroguard either but it looks like it's a prescription thing over here. Argh - how worrying for you. No help at all I'm afraid, but sending more vibes.

• Love
We can’t give banamine here (controlled drug so needs a vet), so no clue about mixing them, I’d definitely try chasing your vet on that.
But any prolonged colic I’d definitely be assessing hydration and trying to get fluids in, could you try some Gatorade in water?
Maybe try searching Horse Vet Corner on Facebook, only registered vets are allowed to respond to posts so you might find some useful info for until yours gets back to you, or maybe try calling a big 24 hour clinic, they may at least be able to answer about mixing the drugs.

• Love
I used to use GastroGard a lot with Jim and it never restricted any other drugs we were giving him, including colic drugs given by the vet - indeed Jim being Jim the vet would often recommend GastroGard as well if he wasn't on it at the time.

• Love
Thank you all - very much😍

@carthorse this helps a lot👍👍

Duncan is eating grass & some hay I put out, and also drank a good bit of water.

My holistic vet/chiropractor was already scheduled to be here tomorrow (Monday). She is brining him somethin.

I am still having The traditional vet come out -actually I’m asking a favor of the sports medicine vet who x-rayed Joker. He left the veterinary hospital 60 minutes north to start a mobile practice down here. He is pretty savvy regarding Sport horses, so he may see something the general vet at the other clinic might not. It will be💰but I need to know.

Banamine and Gastrogard are prescriptions in the U.S. My vet clinic has always been good about selling me Banamine because I’ve done business with them for 19 years.

I’ve never needed GastroGard, so they and also the sports medicine vet will want to see the horse first; especially since he is new.

I really appreciate the support and the help - thank you again😍

Good luck with Duncan, I hope the vet gets there in good time. If he's eating and drinking fingers crossed it's not too bad,

We're all sending you healing vibes for the beautiful old man.

• Love
Thought I would update this thread😀

Duncan seems to be doing fine - haven’t needed the Banamine since that first time.

I have him on a loading dose of Sucdeed and it seems to be doing the trick.

I already had Rusty on it due to Joker’s passing, so it was a no big deal to immediately start Duncan on it. I love this stuff - I’ve successfully used it on four horses.

I also like Egusin a lot but it is more money for nine days less treatment.

I've heard really good things about succeed from a 100 mile endurance rider, really helped his competition horses out.

newrider.com