Going to Athlone, Ireland in August

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
It's my brothers wedding. This will be my first time over seas in quite a few years, and my first time ever in Ireland.
My and my partner are looking at the best ways to travel there. We're considering driving straight over via ferry, and coming back, booking a hotel in Dublin to break up the long haul back and catching the Ferry Friday lunchtime.
We have looked at flights, but the whole journey by train just looks tiring, and at least by car we'd be able to stretch our legs.

I cant help you with the travel advice as i dont travel much but welcome to Ireland when you do come over.Athlone has a nice shopping centre,Lovely cross country course "athlone cross country " (on fb) and you can hire a horse for a spin around(if you've time).
Also depending on the dates...the Dublin horse show is highly recommended!Loads of shopping but wait for the sales at the end.Hope you enjoy.
The west of Ireland is lovley if you get time for site seeing too :happy:

Much better to go on ferry with car, for where you based probably best Holyhead as its a shorter sea crossing and the Irish sea is rough. We went this time last year with our 2 youngest daughters and their husbands and had a brill time drove over to Tipperary to show girls where their dad was born then next day drove back to Dublin and spent the afternoon and night there then back to ferry late afternoon. Have a lovely time x

newrider.com