Guess who has a sound horse!!

Kc..

Nov 7, 2007
North Cotswolds
www.casseywatson.co.uk
:D:D:D:D

ME haha.

Got there tonight, not much swelling at all. Walked him around a bit looked fine. Washed and re-applied creams etc. Lunged him w/t/c each rein looked fine.

Decided the best way to see if he was lame was to be sat on him, w/t/c/jump absolutely fine.

Took him back in then got Tone to come out and see him w/t up the road she reckons he looks fine so then she trotted him up for me and he's fine.

:D:D:D:D

Looks like huntings back on!

Woo! :D
Don't forget hunting piccies tomorrow, love looking at hunt pics :)

just a wee thought, but perhaps not the best idea to take a horse suffering from mud fever out hunting, which will no doubt mean hours of working in the mud?

just a wee thought, but perhaps not the best idea to take a horse suffering from mud fever out hunting, which will no doubt mean hours of working in the mud?

In that case he should just stay in the stable all the time for the tiniest bit of mud fever i've ever seen. Not to mention the fact it's not even muddy round here so i don't think it's entirely the muds fault lol

a tiny bit of mud fever shouldn't cause a horse to be lame - if a horse was lame from mud fever i'd class it as serious mud fever, or presume that there was an additional cause for lameness, and therefore still wouldn't take the horse hunting.

I personally wouldn't hunt a horse that was actively suffering from mud fever - plus it will be muddy where you are hunting, I am fairly certain of that (used to live in the area...)

But ultimately it's up to you!

I'm not sure I would take a horse hunting the day after he became sound:eek:

Glad he is sound though:)

I'm not sure I would take a horse hunting the day after he became sound:eek:

Glad he is sound though:)

He wasn't lame because he's got a problem (btw i never actually saw him lame! i was told he was) he was lame because his leg swelled up in the box :)

He was fine sunday, had a 3hr hack didn't see him monday which is when he was ment to be lame seen him today and he's fine so yeah. My sister says she didn't think he was lame either, but i duno!

Last edited:
a tiny bit of mud fever shouldn't cause a horse to be lame - if a horse was lame from mud fever i'd class it as serious mud fever, or presume that there was an additional cause for lameness, and therefore still wouldn't take the horse hunting.

I personally wouldn't hunt a horse that was actively suffering from mud fever - plus it will be muddy where you are hunting, I am fairly certain of that (used to live in the area...)

But ultimately it's up to you!

I'm sure there will be mud but then again, he's had mud fever all winter (if you remember i had a thread where he went really bad from it) and have hacked/hunted him no problem :confused:

Well it's hard to say without knowing the horse and the severity of the mud fever. But I do know quite a few people who have sold/retired their hunters as they couldn't cope with mud fever in the gloucestershire conditions.

If it's bad enough to make him lame, then I'd think it's bad enough to not want to aggravate it by hunting. if it really is just a tiny patch, then yes it's probably not an issue.

Well it's hard to say without knowing the horse and the severity of the mud fever. But I do know quite a few people who have sold/retired their hunters as they couldn't cope with mud fever in the gloucestershire conditions.

If it's bad enough to make him lame, then I'd think it's bad enough to not want to aggravate it by hunting. if it really is just a tiny patch, then yes it's probably not an issue.

I actually wish i had a pic of it to show you, cus honestly it's tiny.
And as i've just said i'm not overly convinced he was ever lame, sister thinks he wasn't when she saw him and i don't see how he would have been lame for the one day i wasn't there then suddenly fine?

Good to hear Lantern is okay, haven't seen any of your other threads re his mud fever etc but kinda agree that you need to be careful after having a suspected case of mud fever. :)

Hope you both have a lovely day, take some piccies!! :D

Capo and I are off to see Jennie Loriston Clarke shortly!!! ekk!! :eek:

We have to be re-assessed by a British Dressage Assessor ( now we both our reg with BD) and she is my local assessor, bit scary though having to ride in front of her!!

newrider.com