Hat padding - please don't shoot me down!

beakysian

Mar 26, 2008
Durham, UK
I have noticed that my hat is becoming a little slippy on my head, not aided by the fact that I have had a LOT of hair cut off since buying it 3 years ago when it was a perfect fit (fitted by BETA trained person).

It has never been knocked or dropped and I can't afford to replace it at the moment. Is there some kind of 'legal' padding that I could use to restore its original snug fit?

Please forgive my ignorance :redface: I don't want to start a debate about hat safety and/or outdated tricks or anything. I just wondered if I could save some pennies.

Yeah you can buy strips of sticky foam - robbies gave me some for free.

However becareful - the padding starts to disintegrate, and then it wont protect you - I know you didnt want that, but wasnt sure if you were aware of it happening. I promised KV a hat which had only been worn a handful of times, and put in a cupboard (gave me headaches), I took it out said cupboard a couple of years on, to find the foam was falling to bits.

Only thing that springs to mind is the balacalava's that Robinson's sell, though you wouldn't want one in summer of course! They do two types - a thinnish one and a wooller one - OH has both! I think though that somebody may do what you're looking for - have you browsed the Rideaway catalogue?

Thanks both. I think I would prefer the foam to a balaclava but it's useful to know it has a limited life. Ideally I will replace it , perhaps for my birthday, but feel that I ought to improve it if I can as a temporary fix.

I work for a well known equestrian hat maufacturer and it will be fine to add some foam fitting strips inside the lining of your hat in the areas which are currently slipping. As you are aware, you will defiantely need a hat re-fit due to your haircut, but this is the safe way for a temporary safe fix. You local tack shop should be able to do this for you and supply you the strips, failing that PM your name, address & hat type and I'll pop some in the post!:wink:

That's really kind, bigmare - have PM-ed you :)

OT but I have just realised that, during discussion on hat padding, I have changed my avatar to a pic of me on board without hat for the one and only time ever :redcarded: He was tied up but that's no excuse.

newrider.com