Heart Horse or ‘the one’

Juliaa

Julia
Aug 20, 2017
London
i just wanted to here others peoples stories and if I’ve really found the one that’s touched my heart :). I’ve been with horses for around 2 years, so I’m still learning about them. However within 2months I went straight into part share, and feel in love with a mare for her colour, she was gorgeous and suggested for me as she’s ‘adaptable’, I loved her as I’ve been with her a year now, she taught me everything, however I always felt we never ‘clicked’.

However on the same yard was a grey pony, in his 20’s, I didn’t at first like him, he wasn’t affectionate at all. I would go up to him and try stroke his face and he’d pull back or try to nip me (I understand why he pulls away now, not every horse likes hands all over his face). But I always had this doubt about him. Then came the day where I had to ride him, I sat on him, and couldn’t get him to take a step. Everything about this pony made me sighhhh. I kicked, nagged, and hated doing that. When I got off, a different sharer at the yard told me “you’ll never be able to ride him.” Sturbbornly I wanted to prove him wrong, so I’d get on the pony and bit by bit tried to get him to listen to me. I just wanted him to co-operate, and not rebel.

Then I talked to the owner, who sadly doesn’t always ride her horses due to arthritis, she told me no one wants to ride him, and no one wants to take him on. She later that day got on to show me what a wonderful pony he is, she charged him around the arena, like I’ve never seen before. So stubborn me decided, “I’m gonna get that from him. I know he can do it now.” So I was persistent. Until I could finally get him to go with a forward rhythm, he changed drastically,whenever I’d get excited he’d throw in bucks every second.

The owner explained, that from being in the same yard for 20 years, he’s gone bored, and he used to go out hacking, show jumping and XC, but from 10 years, hasn’t done that. He was just a grumpy miserable pony now.
Desperate I tried to find him a loaner or sharer out of sympathy , wanted someone to love him and understand him like I now do.

I then applied to college, and was told I can bring my own horse. The owner suggested I loan him. Without a doubt, I agreed. I wanted to give this guy another chance, to relive XC, show jumping and fun.
I fell in love with this pony that I disliked and didn’t pay much attention to. I can’t explain what I like about him, but he makes me want to sing every time I groom him.

I hope to have an amazing time with him in college this September ❤️.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get across the fact that not every pretty, Olympic, expensive,prodigy is going to be the one. Sometimes the most unexpected horse might offer you true love.

Last edited:
Its great that you have been able to get him on-side and can take him to college :)

My heart horse was my Bo, he was a little git, difficult at times and a bit wild but I loved every inch of him. When I lost him it broke me, I couldn't speak to anyone, not even my husband, for a week after and its taken me a few years to be able to talk about Bo again, even then I choke up, he was a part of me. I have had many other horses who I loved and clicked with, who were 'better' than Bo, but none of them got into my soul like he did. My current pair, Jess I love dearly and she is a good horse (for the most part), more reliable, better to ride, easier to handle and when she was lame other horses just didn't measure up to her, but she still isn't my Bo. Hank is a little dude, a brave, willing soul, but I don't think he will ever have that same hold on me.

I don't ride the madam anymore but she is "the one". I miss riding her but have long since accepted her retirement and I'm so grateful that she can still be around, I love her in amounts you can't measure and she is precious to me. I doubt if I'll ever ride another that feels the same way. Even beautiful Zi who gives me seaside donkey face when ridden does not compare. I've never ridden Chloe she has always been a companion but I have a very special bond with her in a different way. Oh who am I kidding? I love and worship them all:D
I think J was OH's soulmate. I missed him too when he died but not like Mr T did. He was definitely a different person after losing him:(

Reactions: Juliaa
My heart horse is my prj. When i got him everyone said he would die and he didnt he perked up and went absoutely crazy! And everyone said get rid hes dangerous etc etc ... And these days my farrier says hes the best horse on his round, hes gentle as anything, well behaved, 99% of the time. Has his moments like they all do. Does anything i ask of him, quick learner and we moved fields nearly two years ago now and left all our friends behind and had to start hacking out alone, i was terrified! But he looked after me and has done ever since, now we hack all over together :) id be lost without him, hes a part of me

Reactions: Juliaa
Amber is my horse of a lifetime. She is just awesome. Bold, kind, expressive, willing, courageous, athletic, beautiful, powerful and totally honest. I have never felt this way about a horse before. I have loved a couple of previous horses (Rupert and Thyme) and been extremely fond of all of them (well apart from Dylan actually....) but she is something very special. Funny to think how I just didn't want her at all! Fate was smiling on me when she dropped so unexpectedly into my life.

Duchamp was the first one I clicked with. 16.2HH ex-racehorse- bright bay gelding.

He celebrated his 21st birthday on Wednesday. He’s owned by the RS and before I rode him I was told he can be a crotchety, bad-tempered sod, will kick anything that gets too close. He doesn’t like mares, he doesn’t like ponies... he doesn’t like much.

But I rode him and suddenly I felt like I knew what I was doing. Then I loaned him for a week and really got to know him, and he learned to tolerate me. He and I still have an understanding- novices try and put his bridle on, and he’s having none of it. I get asked for help and it must make them feel awful because he’ll do it for me. Just because he knows I won’t tolerate his behaviour. He also complains if you yank his girth up tight. But if you’re gentle he trusts you. Today he was having a merry old game shutting my head in my kit box- he was in the stable that my box is next to and was clearly enjoying interfering with what I was doing. I can’t say he loves me, but there is certainly trust there because he knows me.

I love Flash right down to my bones- but there will always be a piece on my heart that belongs to Duchamp. He gave me so much confidence from our two loan weeks that I actually believed I might cope with owning one one day. If it hadn’t been for him, I wouldn’t have Flash.

Here he is today. 9D097D77-90CB-42E1-9A31-BCFA4507B8B2.jpeg

Reactions: Trewsers
Aww what a lovely story .

My heart horse is my whiskey. She came off the lorry at a tender age of 2 alongside another horse purchased from a sale 16 years ago.
At first i was very jealous that my dad bought my stepsister at the time this big fancy appy mare that was very much a push button horse while I was lumped with this little scruff ball that would never go anywhere without the other horse.
But the more time I spent with her the more I fell in love.
She was (still is) fussy who would ride her. If she liked you she would look after you and co-operate if she didn't, then you never really stood a chance.
We both taught each other so much.
A couple years ago when I fell pregnant I was panicking about being able to afford to look after her and thought the best thing for her was to find her a new home.
So I sold her locally and regretted it everyday, After about 6 months she was back up for sale and thankfully my dad stepped in and bought her back for me. It was a 5 hour ride to get her home (couldn't get a trailer and I couldn't wait any more) the people I bought her back from were a little shocked she was the same horse when I jumped on as her whole attitude changed with me on board.

She's 18 now and I'm never making that mistake again.

It was a 5 hour ride to get her home (couldn't get a trailer and I couldn't wait any more) the people I bought her back from were a little shocked she was the same horse when I jumped on as her whole attitude changed with me on board.

She's 18 now and I'm never making that mistake again.

Aww I just welled up at that! So glad she found her way back to you.

Easy, Tess - she is The one and holds our hearts , she is 28 now had her since she was 3 ( she was hand reared and broken early) at times she is grumpy, mardy, self opinionated and no-one just no-one will make her do anything she does not want to, the rest of the time she is loving, giving and wise, the best listener when you want someone to talk to, herd leader and field Nanny to all, shes strong in both Character and body , she has given so much pleasure to me, my Children and Grandchildren, she's been a constant in our lives, she is forgiven anything and loved beyond belief, she owes us nothing and gets everything she wants.Tess.jpg

newrider.com