heated water troughs

Here's the model I have:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&gas=through heater

"Thermostatically controlled - switches on at 40ºF and off at 50ºF. Automatic shut off if water becomes too low. Just remove drain plug and install in drain hole and secure with attached bolts and washers that came with the tank (no hardware is included with de-icer.) Tested to withstand temperatures to 20 below zero. Over 38" of exposed heating element. Fits Rubbermaid tanks. 1500 Watts, 120 volts."

I've had this thing for at least 8 years and it's still working well and still no leaks at the drain plug. We did put some heavy conduit pipe over the part of the electric cord that goes from the trough to the barn just in case. With crazy goats around you never know when somebody does something stupid...

so nobody like the galvanized stock tanks? I was reading that they keep the water cooler than the black plastic and that they stay cleaner? anyone find that to be true?

anyone have one of the plastic troughs crack from the cold? and where do you empty the dirty water in the winter if the trough is in the barn?

newrider.com