Help please

cocobounty

Nov 18, 2023
Hi, I have just got my daughter a 13.2hh pony. I live in the canary islands and here there are no saddle fitters or any help. She is arriving to us on the 1st. We need to get a saddle for her. Does anyone know what size saddle she is likely to take(max)??IMG-20231115-WA0008.jpg

It isn't that simple.

Can you buy tack with her, or at least ask the seller what she's ridden in and get the same?

Do as @carthorse suggests. But in addition.
Some saddle manufacturers have instructions on line with diagrams telling you how to measure up a horse for a saddle. Some incude making a paper or cloth template. A NR friend did this when buying and importing a Western saddle from USA to UK.
The term saddler is unhelpful. As it has two meanings., Most people on NR will buy a saddle from a local saddler who is a retailer and saddle fitter rather than from a "Saddler" who makes saddles.

My new Dales pony is 14.1, 3 years old and quite docile, but does not steer. I'm trying a full cheek snaffle with keepers. I've bought 3 saddles: 1 treeless Sensationride, hybrid trail. Way too big. Pony is short backed and wide. Also got a Lovatt & Ricketts XW which doesn't fit. Now I'm using a Cavaletti which I think fits well. Doesn't slip forward on shoulders.

I would advise that you email a saddle fitter for advice. They may not be able to come out to you, but perhaps for a small fee they will give their expert opinion and advice.

newrider.com