Herd Dynamics

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Its interesting to watch how things work out/change, it rarely happens exactly as you hope.

I brought Dan to try and keep Hank out of trouble, a companion for my companion, and its kind of worked but not quite as I had hoped. When the boys first went together they played and squabbled but generally had a royal old time. Since putting them back with Jess that's changed a bit.

Dan actually seems to prefer Jess's company, generally he will choose to be with her over Hank, though the boys do still play and squabble :) Jess is also somewhat besotted with Dan, when in season she started attacking Hank again, then she puts her self between the boys and stands with or for Dan and periodically chases Hank off, even if he is paying no attention 20ft away grazing :( for the last 3 months she has had horrible seasons again and I am now thinking it is Dan's arrival that has sent her into a spin.

They do move as a little herd most of the time, say 60%, then for another 5% Dan is off and Jess and Hank are together, 5% Jess if off alone, then 30% its Hank who is off on his own. I feel sorry for the poor little sod :( He is a bloody pest, he's a bit hyper and wants to play a lot and is just always on the go when he isn't sleeping :rolleyes: The other 2 are much happier to just stand back and watch. It makes me want to buy a baby just so Hank has a play mate :p Dan is a good fit with Jess though, he doesn't pester her or provoke her at all so she only occasionally tells him off mostly for not paying enough attention to what she was saying quietly :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Aw yeah things don't always pan out like we think or want them to. Chloe seems to be okay with being bottom of the pecking order, and I did think at one point Stormy was still ruling the roost:rolleyes:but Zi is firmly up there now and I *think* we have a happy balance. Storm trots over to him every morning and they groom. I groom Chloe:oops:with special leg scratches. Zi has def brought madam into season though and it makes her VERY silly to the point of me worrying about further leg damage:eek:

Reactions: Jessey
I'm just going through issues with my boy at the moment. He was in with small sec B ponies but they are only on half days turnout to restrict their grazing so meant he was in by lunch time everyday. My friends mare was also having problems with her turnout so we thought we would try them together. Worked out perfectly for 3 to 4 weeks and even when Tara went into season they had no issues and William ignored all her advances............until today! They have had to be separated because they were getting along far to well so back to square 1 :(

I'm just going through issues with my boy at the moment. He was in with small sec B ponies but they are only on half days turnout to restrict their grazing so meant he was in by lunch time everyday. My friends mare was also having problems with her turnout so we thought we would try them together. Worked out perfectly for 3 to 4 weeks and even when Tara went into season they had no issues and William ignored all her advances............until today! They have had to be separated because they were getting along far to well so back to square 1 :(
from 'far too well' I can only guess you mean mounting? I wouldn't be overly concerned by that, it normally settles down once they are used to one another :p

from 'far too well' I can only guess you mean mounting? I wouldn't be overly concerned by that, it normally settles down once they are used to one another :p
Yes so the YM took the decision to separate them before any injuries.

Mine would stand if anyone has an over zealous lad. :D
She's really disappointed that nobody bothers. She gets nibbled and she looks at me as if to say what's wrong with him!! She's even tried reversing the correct end into the gelding of the month :rolleyes:

Mine has a tendency to try and nip and face pull her companions out hacking, but wouldn't dare in the field.
Dynamics change daily. If anyone waits and calls for her, she just walks off. Don't know why anyone waits!
She isn't vocal unless she's needs to call the group. Instead of looking over the hill for them she just calls. And they all come. Lazy but it works.
I just need to learn to neigh.:D

See that's the silly bit, Hank will mount her, at least show interest. Dan doesn't appear to even notice when she's stood squirting in his face. But she wants Dan, not hank, maybe she thinks he's just playing hard to get :p

See that's the silly bit, Hank will mount her, at least show interest. Dan doesn't appear to even notice when she's stood squirting in his face. But she wants Dan, not hank, maybe she thinks he's just playing hard to get :p
I think they call that trying all the jam in the shelf. :D
Mine likes four and three tag on like puppy dogs. The one whose known to mount won't give her the time of day. Doesn't do hairy ladies. :rolleyes:
She 'marks' territory when hacking so surprised we don't get visitors. :p

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com