Hoof crack

Nope :( he needs to be sent away for the operation as vet is pretty sure the other testicle will not drop now, but fingers crossed the money might be available for him to have the op soon

Reactions: Jessey
None of this makes nice reading to be honest. There is no excuse for letting a horses feet get in that condition and it's simply not fair on the horses. The 2 year old colt needs an education, not someone to be the 'boss' and attempt to control him with nose chains.

I don't understand why your friend cannot see sense. Anyone with eyes can see that those feet needed urgent attention. To be honest I would be tempted to ring the RSPCA or some other charity and see if they can have a word with her. I'm not saying that the horses are severely neglected or that they should be removed, but if she isn't listening to you then perhaps she might listen to someone else. The horses are going to suffer in the long term and the colt will end up branded dangerous if he isn't handled correctly now.

Why don't you find an instructor to help you with this colt? A good instructor will be able to guide you and tell you exactly what to do. They could also have a word with your friend about the other horses at the same time.

I didnt post this to be a nice read , I posted to see what everyone says so I could try and make her listen that she needed a farrier ,and she has done it so while things are improving I not going to be ringing anyone to have words with her , I haven't tied to be the boss of him and the nose chain was only perchesed on the advise of others it's new I don't clip the lead road onto the chain anymore ,I did think about getting a instructor but unless I take this boy on then I can't really justifie spending money on him like that sadly , and most people here seem to think I should walk away from taking him on and just help out

I agree with Mary Poppins. Rigs needs are different to those of geldings. You. Are basically working with a stallion or ungelded colt. I don't like the nose chain at all. Do you have a chiffney you can use when leading? Again don't tie him up with it.

And cost of gelding will be hundreds. If she doesn't have the money to afford basic costs like trimming them all how long is it going to take to get the money to pay for that? Is he kept near mares? That could be contributing to his behaviour. He will be full of hormones and trying to assert himself in the herd which will make him harder to handle. And the later he's gelded the greater the chance that he'll retain some of those stallion characteristics. If he's the one this woman (friend or family - that's not clear) wants you to take on please just turn her down.

Reactions: Ruskii
Don't think it's that she can't afford it I think that she was lend to believe hearsay over doing her research on how to do things , from what I'm hearing he might be having the op very soon ,as they where planning to build another stable but talk is about using that money on his op , yep he is kept near mares that's why we are trying to hurry the op along , this colt really isn't that bad it's only the last couple of months he has had a off day now and again , think his problem was the mares in season and me ( being new to him )plus the spring grass he just got pushy and tried his luck he is a darling most of the time with a cheeky personality lol my friend ( my half brother and sisters mum) know the odds of me taking him on will depend on alot of things , as it stands now I will not be taking him on, but I'm still working with him and the other horses there

The thing is she keeps saying she needs the help and that she can't afford everything , and i have asked a few times about her re homing some but she won't she has said she will get the farrier out but can only afford it for the one with really bad hoofs as she has to pay rent this week and £200 to the vet for vacs ect next week as well , when I brought up about me saying she has needed the farrier out befor now she just muttered under her breath can't afford it ect as she was walking away :(

That doesn't sound like someone who has the cash to build a stable or pay for the rig to have surgery.

I'm pleased you are trying to help and I think you are doing as much as you realistically can. It's also great that you are asking for and accepting plenty of advice as it sounds like the people around you aren't necessarily great role models to learn horsemanship or horse care from! Frankly, when I was inexperienced I rarely questioned what in retrospect I can see was pretty poor care so I am impressed that you are thinking for yourself. Just make sure you look after yourself too so you don't end up hurt or taken advantage of.

Reactions: Jessey and tikkitti
She normally pays for the horses care her oh is the one who pays for the building of the stables ect she is talking to him to use that money on getting him gelded over another stable , so yes she can't afford it but her oh can but she didn't want to ask him as he had plans for that money , but that's none of my business really ..... I'm just trying to help not only a person in need but also the horses , I believe with a lot of hard work and talk things could well get better here ,she just spent 600 ish on the vet and farrier today even tho she said she couldn't afford to just goes to show u cant believe everything people say I'm just keeping u all upto date with things as and when I find out about them I should not have to explain why she seems she can afford it now even tho she said she can't afford things befor

What are her plans for all these horses? They're going to need a lot of money spent on things like regular farrier visits. I think you said she had nine? The average cost of a trim is around £20 per horse every eight weeks (the one with the bad feet may need to be done more often for a while} so just that comes to £180 every eight weeks. She sounds like she could do with downsizing to me. Especially if she's not so experienced. I admire you for coming and asking advice - people never stop learning. My RI has lessons herself. I've been around horses for about 35 years and I still have lessons twice a week.

just goes to show u cant believe everything people say I'm just keeping u all upto date with things as and when I find out about them I should not have to explain why she seems she can afford it now even tho she said she can't afford things befor

So why shouldn't one request explanation from you about WHY these horses are still at risk and suffering, when the whole thread generated by yourself is based on your statement about the finances of the owner of these horses, and her inability to care for them as she should? So we can make 'there there' noises and sympathetically stand to one side whilst these animals continue their existence under the care of someone who quite clearly hasn't got a single clue how to look after them, and probably doesn't have the finances to assist the animals that you state are in distress and need????

Yes I do question it and I question most of this thread frankly. If someone were to post on this forum a description of the condition these animals are existing under, there would be a great hoo hah about reporting the said owner, no pussy footing around trying to tread softly softly. Horses die and suffer whilst people tread softly softly in my experience.

she said she couldn't afford to just goes to show u cant believe everything people say

Indeed you can't believe everything people say.

I don't care who pays for the care of the horses, I am just going by the 2 photos you have posted. The first one of the dreadful feet is pure neglect, and the second one shows a colt tied very, very tightly to a fence with no string (which is bad enough), with the leadrope is clipped onto a metal nose chain! In my opinion, both horses need to be re-homed to someone who knows how to look after them.

I admire that you are trying to help, but you will do more harm than good unless you get yourself educated on some basic horse care. I would go and buy some good books (start a thread and you will get lots of recommendations) and perhaps advertise for another experienced sharer to come and work with the horses alongside you. Either that, or find the horses a new home.

I'm not sure what her plans are , I agree she needs to down size I have brought that up with her a number of times and I will keep bringing it up with her
As for a explanation I am not their owner so I can't explain somethings I can't tell u why or how she let them end up like this nor do I know what the hell she is thinking ...
Question what u like that is not helping the situation
But surly if the horses where in that bad a condition because the way they are existing under ... then the vet or farrier would have either said something or rang the rspca them self's ?

I have found someone else with more experience that I'm helping out so I can try and get out of this situation and learn from someone I can believe.
I kind of feel under attack here tho and this isn't my fault, I'm getting the feeling I should maybe leave the forum just to keep the peace
But thank u to those that have helped me

The RSPCA would not take action on overgrown hooves that are now being dealt with. I understand people's anger about the care of the ponies but I can also see why you feel attacked and I don't really think it's fair on you. You are doing your best and things have improved as a result which is better than either ignoring the situation or just walking away. As you keep saying these are not your ponies.

Were you there when the farrier attended to those feet? I am pretty sure that a good farrier would question how and why they were in such a dreadful state.

I'm sorry if you feel that you are under attack but I personally cannot condone horses being neglected. You are involved in their care and that makes you partially responsible for them, regardless of who pays the bills. I can't even try and put a positive spin on this, I feel very sad and sorry for the horses who deserve better. I won't post on this thread again as I have made my point, but please think of a way that you can help these horses. Yes you could just walk away, but how is that going to help the horse who has to go another 4 months before the farrier is called?

Not necessarily. The sad fact is that some of them don't want to lose custom elsewhere and if it gets out that they reported the person in question others might stop using them. It's happened to us twice - phoned RSPCA who came out promptly, removed two horses and started proceedings against these people. The problem then was trying to find a vet willing to give evidence. By the time they did, the people in question had upped and moved to Ireland. End of case.

The other was a hoarder taking in rescues. Again, she moved away before they could gather evidence.

If someone phones the RSPCA they are duty bound to come and visit. They may bring police or local council members if members if the public report it but if as you say it's just one with bad feet they won't remove it. But they are really good at making sure things improve, which is what you want right?

There was a case near us not so long ago (Ddrydwy) where they were all three involved, and eighteen horses were removed. That did go to court. I doubt very much that yours are that bad but it would be my first port of call for advice on trimming, worming and dentistry.

Mary Im on this forum to try and help them , if I wasn't going down to help then the farrier wouldn't of been out yet and I doubt the vet would of been sorted as quick ,but yet ur saying I'm neglecting them or part of it , I'm the reason things are getting sorted . Things are improving if they wasn't they i probably would of rang the the rspca myself by now.
If things don't continue to get better and change then I will have to
Please stop trying to make me feel any worse then I already do, I'm not sure what else u expect me to do

Reactions: tikkitti and KP nut
and perhaps advertise for another experienced sharer to come and work with the horses alongside you. Either that, or find the horses a new home.

I can't just ask a sharer to come and work along side me as that's not up to me as they are not my horses ...
And I can't find them new homes as again they are not mine
So to make it clear I do not own any horses ! All I do is help the owner out
And instead of not coming back on the thread because u made ur point ( i shouldnt leave but i am part of the neglect and that i need to learn more, whitch is why im here ) why don't u come back and give me some advice to help get things better ?

I'm sorry your first 2 threads have been controversial. We are normally a dead friendly and welcoming forum. Honest!
I think the criticism you are facing is very unfair: you seem to be being told on the one hand that you shouldn't just walk away and on the other that your involvement makes you partially responsible for their poor care. Whereas it is your concern about their poor care that led you to the forum in the first place and it is the pressure that you have placed on your friend that has led her to take more responsibility.

We can all agree that the ponies care is not good enough and that your friend has too many horses but none of that is your fault. And I really don't think it hits RSPCA thresholds either so going down that route is likely just to end the relationship with you and your friend which won't help the ponies. And when you suggested you take one of them on yourself to ease her pressure and take responsibility for one of them we all said NOOOOOO!!!!! (Which I still think is good advice btw).

You are in an impossible position, sadly. But the ponies are better off for you being involved so I hope you stay on the forum and keep asking questions when you feel worried about anything.

I have received alot of good advice from this forum :) I will stick around on the forum as I need all the advice I can get plus I'm sure some of u would like to know things have started to get better even tho there is still a long way to go , I just hope the people that criticises me can see that I am trying to help and maybe come and give some useful advice as well

Reactions: candyman
newrider.com